"Surefire" E series tailcap

mahoney

Enlightened
There are some Chinese made "Surefire E series" clicky tail caps for sale out there on the net that look a bit like the Defender tail cap. Given the price I took a chance and ordered a couple. Why am I posting here..depending on the E series light you want to put them on, it may be a tail cap in kit form. The clicky switch is secured against a bulkhead from the boot end with the boot retaining ring.

The good news:
The threads are compatible and the thread length and o-ring clearance are OK, at least on my 2 samples
The switch retaining ring is not lock-tited

The bad news:
The switch boot is extra tall, so aftermarket replacements may not work
The spring on the switch could be a little longer, it will barely make contact with the battery
and the biggie...the switch is set up to conduct through the threads of the tail cap to the flashlight body

If you have a bare aluminium flashlight body, it should work fine. (I do, and it did, of course I bought it for another light) But most E series Surefires, Alephs, etc., have anodized threads and rely on the end of the body for the contact to the switch. So you could remove the anodizing from the bulkhead. But after I broke the spring off one of the switches by trying to stretch it out a little, I decided to ream out the bulkhead and extend the 11/16-20 threads up into the switch area and install a McClicky. There's enough wall thickness to get reasonably deep threads and the fix worked well enough that I modified the other tail cap as well.

I did most of the work holding the tail caps in my hand, and even so the "anodizing" shows a few flecks, so i doubt it's going to hold up long term. But as inexpensive E series tail cap hosts, they were worth buying.

mahoney

Enlightened
If you go to EBAY and search for "surefire e series tailcap" all the vendors from China seem to be selling the same tail cap, or at least using the same pictures. You can't really call it a counterfeit, given the lack of functionality without some work. "Homage" maybe? FWIW mine came from "Airsoft Fighting"

labrat

Enlightened
There are some Chinese made "Surefire E series" clicky tail caps for sale out there on the net that look a bit like the Defender tail cap. Given the price I took a chance and ordered a couple. Why am I posting here..depending on the E series light you want to put them on, it may be a tail cap in kit form. The clicky switch is secured against a bulkhead from the boot end with the boot retaining ring.

The good news:
The threads are compatible and the thread length and o-ring clearance are OK, at least on my 2 samples
The switch retaining ring is not lock-tited

The bad news:
The switch boot is extra tall, so aftermarket replacements may not work
The spring on the switch could be a little longer, it will barely make contact with the battery
and the biggie...the switch is set up to conduct through the threads of the tail cap to the flashlight body

If you have a bare aluminium flashlight body, it should work fine. (I do, and it did, of course I bought it for another light) But most E series Surefires, Alephs, etc., have anodized threads and rely on the end of the body for the contact to the switch. So you could remove the anodizing from the bulkhead. But after I broke the spring off one of the switches by trying to stretch it out a little, I decided to ream out the bulkhead and extend the 11/16-20 threads up into the switch area and install a McClicky. There's enough wall thickness to get reasonably deep threads and the fix worked well enough that I modified the other tail cap as well.

I did most of the work holding the tail caps in my hand, and even so the "anodizing" shows a few flecks, so i doubt it's going to hold up long term. But as inexpensive E series tail cap hosts, they were worth buying.

side_zpsmjbpkwwb.jpg

bottom_zpswgv0vbjm.jpg

top_zpsj3lthejc.jpg

I assume the tailcap he is referring to is this one, sold from many vendors on eBay.

It does work, "as is", with my Surefire lights and tubes, as well as other E-type tubes.
It seems to seal well, smooth action when screwing/unscrewing.
That the retaining ring for the boot is not glued on with Locktite is not bad!
You can do this yourself if you want to.

The boot is very deep, and flimsy, but works OK.
A Surefire boot can be used to replace this, but may stress the switch in there.
The switch is a "reverse clicky" switch, and can not easily be replaced with a McClicky or Surefire switch, not without any machining/rethreading and maybe a small adapter ring.
The spring in my tailcap was of sufficient length.

As is, it works, looks close enough to be a cheap Surefire Defender "lookalike", and should be able to modify to take a McClicky switch later.

Last edited:

mahoney

Enlightened
Yes, that's the switch. Note the anodized bulkhead in the middle shot.

I tried changing out the switch boot with a few I had in the parts drawer, but nothing I had was deep enough to allow the switch to turn "off". YMMV

The mod to put a McClicky in is pretty easy if you have a largish repairman's taper reamer and an 11/16-20 tap. No adapter ring needed.

Latest posts