• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Looking for basic info on eiger & el capitan

llyte

Newly Enlightened
Hi, so I'm not at all technically savvy & I'm trying to figure out what I'd actually be getting if I bought either the eiger or the el capitan.

How bright are these flashlights & what are their runtimes, assuming I use normal AA or AAA batteries?

And then as to some of the configuration options -- how do the cool, neutral, and hi CRI LEDs differ? What about the medium and narrow beams?

Also this would just be for general use, finding my way around in the dark, indoors and out. So I'd be curious to hear about people's experiences, and am open to suggestions.

Sorry if I've maybe asked for info that's already been posted elsewhere, but the older threads I've seen seems to reference options that Peak no longer offers? (The "mule head" etc).

Thanks!

BriteLite2

Enlightened
The Mule head is not an old option. Its offered exclusively thru Oveready . Oveready is currently sold out of all Peaks.

The Nichia is also offered only thru Oveready

Peak has a cool white version and a warm higher CRI version but the Higher CRI version does not have the output in lumens of the Cool version

cant help with runtime. Output is dependant on battery used and model chosen. try searchibng for that info by using the key word Eiger in your search .

The QTC is a quirky setup and low lows are often difficult to obtain and hold especially in the Eiger aaa format. some people like it some hate it. I am saving up for a single mode non QTC version that I will have to special order direct from peak

the Mule head is great for area lighting. there are also throw heads available but they are larger heads. there are also brass copper and SS choices.

a second retail source for Peaks is RMSK but they have very limited options.

Peaks are very well made and as tough as you can get for a AAA light. In my opinion there is no better AAA light out there for durability and long life real world heavy duty use.

llyte

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply/ info.

"Peak has a cool white version and a warm higher CRI version but the Higher CRI version does not have the output in lumens of the Cool version" -- do you know anything about the neutral version?

As for the QTC -- I've never used this technology, but I thought I read that Peak has been using a new improved version? Or is it still quirky all the same? I like the idea of being able to get a lot of light when needed, but if not, being able to use low lighting and conserve the battery.

"I am saving up for a single mode non QTC version" -- what power level do you think you'll get? -- I'm just curious.

BriteLite2

Enlightened
There is a new QTC pill. Its better but in the Eigers it is still a quirky thing. I could never get low low moonlight levels to hold . lots of flickering and brightness change. and if I did get a low setting to stick it would gradually increase in briteness over the next minute or two .

Mid to high levels always held and were easy to acquire. But you wont be hitting exact output levels every time like a programmed light. Its cool high tech material but low tech and very non precise in function . still a good light with QTC though and lots love them .

I am saving for whatever level is equivalent to about 10 lumens .

I love the Peak lights. best made AAA lights out there if you ask me. (not including the high end customs of course)