Klarus mi7

narmattaru

Enlightened
Hi there. I know that Mi7 has already been reviewed here, but hope my review will add some information for you.

Klarus Mi7

Specification (taken from Gearbest product page)
Main Features
Brand: KLARUS
Model: Mi7
● CREE XP-L HI V3 LED, max output 700LM,max runtime 67h
● 5 modes: High - low - moonlight - strobe - SOS
● Power indicator displays remaining power for easy monitoring
● Lock-out mode specially designed to prevent accidental activation of the flashlight
● IPX-8 waterproof standard (2 meters submersible rating) to cope with bad weather
● Efficiency circuit with broad voltage range to accommodate both AA (included) and 14500 batteries
● Over-discharge protection automatically lowers output levels to protect rechargeable batteries
● Constant current driver with no PWM flash, suitable for photography illumination
● Aerospace grade aluminum alloy body / CNC precision machining / military grade hard anodizing / superior heat dissipation / AR coated mineral lens
●Color Temperature: 6500K
●Feature: Cooling Slot of High Efficiency,Lightweight,Lock-out Function,Power Indicator,Reverse Polarity Protection,Tail Stand
●Function: Camping,EDC,Hiking,Household Use,Night Riding,Walking
●Battery Type: 14500,AA
●Battery Quantity: 1 x AA / 14500 battery (AA included)
●Waterproof Standard: IPX-8 Standard Waterproof (Underwater 2m)
● Reflector: Aluminum Textured Orange Peel Reflector
●Lens: Toughened Ultra-clear Mineral Glass Lens
●Beam Distance: 100-150m
●Body Material: AL 6061-T6 Aluminium Alloy
●Product weight: 0.026 kg
●Package weight: 0.115 kg
●Product size (L x W x H): 8.72 x 1.90 x 1.90 cm / 3.43 x 0.75 x 0.75 inches
● Package Contents: 1 x Klarus Mi7 LED Flashlight (with 1 x AA Battery), 1 x Carabiner, 1 x O-ring
20160621045205387.jpg

Package is medium-grade, small plastic box with flashlight, lanyard, manual and o-ring.
0667fc.jpg

5f99cb.jpg

652333.jpg

Mi7 is really small for AA\14500 flashlight, significantly smaller than my favorite one – Xtar Sirius WK41.
d65d96.jpg

e9c4a5.jpg

It`s about the same weight as battery.
0d50e7.jpg

Knurling is not deep. Quite wide, proportionate to Mi7 size.
351567.jpg

a0589e.jpg

Though I treated cooling ribs as symbolic at first impression, then it turned to be that they are surprisingly functional. I easily could hold flashlight bare hand even after full turbo to stepdown.
90c87a.jpg

There is no clip, which is uncool for the price of Mi7. It`s not like I use it, actually I never do. But for almost 40 bucks, that`s a cheep from Klarus.
Tailstand is firm without lanyard. With it – some inline. I don't understand why not all manufaturers don`t do obvious thing – drill 2 close holes for lanyard at side of tail. So lanyard won`t go between tail and surface when tailstand.
f35a09.jpg

Reflector is OP, about 1cm deep.
53230b.jpg

cf42f2.jpg

There is not as much grease as it could be actually. Nevertheless, head goes on thread without any problems.
77bdd5.jpg

bceb85.jpg

ec62af.jpg

Button movement is not deep. It has lock mode, without which it would switch Mi7 on every time when put in pocket.

UI.

Output selection
● From Off, quick click to enter High, long press to enter Moonlight
Strobe / SOS
● Double click the switch to enter Strobe; double click again to enter SOS; single click to return to prior mode
Lock-out function
● Hold the switch for more than 5s to engage Lock-out mode, indicated by 2 flashes
● In Lock-out mode, click the switch 3 times, the Lock-out mode is disengaged after 1-3 flashes, depending on the capacity remaining (over 70pct: 3 flashes; 30 - 70pct: 2 flashes; less than 30pct capacity: 1 flash)
Over-discharge protection
● With regular or rechargeable AA batteries, the output level will automatically drop to a lower level when the battery drops below 0.8V
● With rechargeable Li-ion 14500 batteries, the output level will automatically drop
to a lower level when the battery drops below 3.0V
● With rechargeable Li-ion 14500 batteries and the output level set at maximum, the output will be lowered automatically (Klarus manager provided stated data) to 400 lumens after 3min to prevent overheating and damaging the electrical circuits and LED
92af6d7318.gif

mi7_beam.gif

There were some troubles with speeding video, so I made GIF instead to show how brightness drops. MI7 here is with Olight 14500 inside. At the edn, after in-betweeen 45 minutes, brightness is about as in moonlight mode.
klarus.gif

I cannot trace any PWM shimmering.
mi7-door_2.gif

dvor_2.gif

les.gif

As I got 3 different АА\14500 light at the same time, I decided that it will be interesting for readers to see them compared. Mi7 shines brighter both rivals with 14500 and AA test modes.
nimh.gif

14500.gif

Some more interesting footage at the end of video even for english speaking readers.

Overall.

Very bright and compact product which consumes popular AA and all the types of lithium chemistry in 14500 size (at least Klarus promises that-) )
I`m still not sure about if UI is reasonable, it`ll take some time to figure it out.
I hope Klarus will add some intermediate levels in 14500 mode. Like: moonlight-smth around 60- 150-400-700. But for tiny 14500 pocket both modes are functional. 90 is ok for garage searches, 700 is ok to look far away for some short time.

Last edited:

terjee

Enlightened
Hey, good review, thanks! :)

Two quick questions if I may?

Do I understand it correctly that it comes with an alkaline AA?

Is it possible to discreetly open the package and re-pack?

Reason for the lask question is that I ordered two, one will be given away. The other I'd like to check out, and either use as an EDC, or give it away, and it'd be nicer to do that in a box.

When giving away, it'd probably be nice to be able to swap out the batteries.

narmattaru

Enlightened
takk

yes, it comes with some noname-ish battery

and package is not sealed, you can easily open it and do whatever you want

Last edited:

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very bright and compact product which consumes popular AA and all the types of lithium chemistry in 14500 size (at least Klarus promises that-) )
I`m still not sure about if UI is reasonable, it`ll take some time to figure it out.
I hope Klarus will add some intermediate levels in 14500 mode. Like: moonlight-smth around 60- 150-400-700. But for tiny 14500 pocket both modes are functional. 90 is ok for garage searches, 700 is ok to look far away for some short time.

Great review, thanks. Out of curiosity, why are you still not sure about the UI? It seems close to ideal to me, but trying to figure out if it's just different preferences, or if I've missed something obnoxious about the UI. thanks!

narmattaru

Enlightened
thanx for kind words

i`m used to other UI so i`m not trying to hurry with evaluating this one.
as you can see i dont describe this as bad one, i just have to use it for more time to figure out.
but once i`ve recently got about 10 flaslights at the same time, i have to time to study this one closer )

T45

Enlightened
Question: Is that black ring, in the bottom of the head, rubber or plastic? No one ever says anything about it.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definitely plastic. It is probably the washer that prevents the flat negative of a battery from making contact = reverse polarity protection