Arc4 Software Questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bosley

Newly Enlightened
1. How do we know what version software we have on our Arc4?

2. Since there is no owner's manual, as the software changes over time how will we know how to operate our particular version? (I ask this because mine is already not the same as shown on the Arc4 FAQ videos- though I like my version better.)

3. How do we get updated software (assuming there is some reason to update)?

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. the changes in each software revision are documented in the arc FAQ, so you could always refer to it to check which software revision you have. e.g. if your blinker flashes at level 1 instead of level 16, then you probably have revision 123. if your blinker mode flashes at level 16, then you have the latest revision which is 130.

2. peter will have to answer this one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. according to the arc FAQ, every arc4 bought comes with one free software upgrade, after which each software upgrade will cost $20, including shipping.

cynix

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
chamenos said:
after which each software upgrade will cost $20, including shipping.

[/ QUOTE ]does it including international shipping both ways? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
it isn't specified in the FAQ, but i sure hope so. again the best person to answer this would be peter himself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

btw, i think this would mean arc4s which have had a software upgrade would have to be sold cheaper, since the new owner would have to pay $20 if he wanted to upgrade the software again.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. Match unique features of your light with the revision list in the FAQ as chamenos suggested. You can also look at your prodation date on the QC sticker and that will narrow your search down.

2. Most changes are minor and have little effect on the overall user interface. Nevertheless, changes are and will be made. The FAQ always links to the most up to date manual available.

3. The FAQ says, "upgrades cost $20/unit + shipping each". This means that shipping is not included in the $20 charge.

Peter

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok...that means we should only send it in for an upgrade if we happen to be buying something to save on shipping.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I post it to the FAQ. If a rev occurs you want, send it in! If there is an especially cool rev, I might post a seperate thread about it.

Peter

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there a USB port in the light? That way folks could just download the latest from the Arc site and upload it to the light. Oh, I meant to ask...can I have it programed to control my RCA TV in addition to just lighting stuff up? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banned2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

Ken

Lumens

Newly Enlightened
No Ken, this rev has a parallel port (the socket is located inside the battery compartment near the positive battery terminal). The next rev will have the USB socket (it will be located near the compactflash memory card socket).
You have to buy the parallel cable separately.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Gransee said:
I post it to the FAQ. If a rev occurs you want, send it in! If there is an especially cool rev, I might post a seperate thread about it.

Peter

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe posting with each new update is better. I'm not one to frequent the ARC FAQ very often, as I'm sure many others are not either.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
it would have been great if provisions were made for us to update the software ourselves, like updating the bios on my computer's mainboard.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
chamenos said:
it would have been great if provisions were made for us to update the software ourselves, like updating the bios on my computer's mainboard.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure that would turn into a support nightmare. Peter would need to hire a staff of Technical Support folks. You'd then have to worry about accidently downloaded a virus into your light. Imagine that? You hit the button and your microwave comes on, due to the "Appliance Virus" or some crap like that.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
this_is_nascar said:
I'm sure that would turn into a support nightmare. Peter would need to hire a staff of Technical Support folks. You'd then have to worry about accidently downloaded a virus into your light. Imagine that? You hit the button and your microwave comes on, due to the "Appliance Virus" or some crap like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

i wouldn't be so sure. i think if we could update the software ourselves, the only time we'd have to send the lights back would be if the hardware of the arc4 somehow got damaged, similar to how a mainboard can be rendered inoperable if an error occurs when flashing the bios. e.g. the power supply trips, and the bios is incompletely flashed, thus inoperable because the computer can't even be started to reflash the bios.

i'm not sure, but if i'm not wrong the type of microprocessor in the arc4 is only 8bit or less, similar to the type of computer found in a car's computer, not the 32bit or 64bit processor found in your personal computer. the likelihood of a virus affecting the arc4 is probably about as likely as your digital watch getting a virus.

even if a virus of some type was coded for the arc4, i doubt the memory chip on the arc4 would even have the space to store it. the worst i foresee happening is a corrupt copy of the software being uploaded to the arc4, rendering it inoperable. in the event of that happening, either reflashing the chip with a normal copy of the software should fix the problem. lastly the likelihood of your arc4 turning on your microwave due to a "virus" is about as likely as the female terminator in "rise of the machines" controlling the hacked police cruisers. i.e. its impossible /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

in any case, i think peter would be in the best position to address this /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
You hit the button and your microwave comes on, due to the "Appliance Virus" or some crap like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, thats an idea. Could it be programed to emit microwaves? There a cat that enjoys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smoker5.gif in my yard...I love to step in it and transfer it to my carpet...I would like to zap the little feller with micros next time I see him.

And it would be nice to reheat a sandwitch without having to walk to the kitchen. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Fastlane

Newly Enlightened
This technology may never apply to the topic, but you might find it interesting anyway.
I recently got a universal learning remote that has a long list of factory preset codes for various audio/video devices. The audio receiver was not controlled by any of the preset codes, but the customer support was able to find a code that worked.
The new code was entered into my remote by sending audio tones on the phone. I held the remote up to the phone for a few seconds when they sent the signal. It's a really handy remote that simplifies things when you have several components with your tv. The touch keypad lights up only the buttons for the device you select and is easy to use in the dark. It's a good idea to use NiMH rechargeable batteries, because it goes through a set every few weeks with normal use.
Kameleon

cosco

Newly Enlightened
My opinion:
This tiny microprocessor is soldered on board. Not like bios memory chip in the socket. These uP chips alow ISP - in system programing. You usualy need 4 wire terminal to make it plus some programming device. It usulaly can not be hooked up on serial or usb port directly. The flashlight do not have such a slot anyway. I think - forget it for now. If you disassemble the light you probably can manage it in some way. But this is going to breaking warranty.
I like assembler programming and have done some designs using uP like Atmel or Pic allready but this is another story.
I was wondering about fiddling/modding the light when I ordered my ARC4 second but now I think it should be let as it is. Besides - I still do not have it in my hands.

cosco

Status
Not open for further replies.