• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Sold Out: Hi/Low beam spring for ARC LSH

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
<font color="red">Well, folks, I'm not selling these any more. There are instructions for building your own in the mods forum. They aren't that hard to make, just time consuming. They take even more time if you are trying to make them look pretty. Some of the units have turned out to be more fragile than others. I'll replace the ones that just break for no apparent reason.</font>

I created a Kroll Switch spring replacement that gives the ARC LS line a high and a low beam. The low beam is about as bright as an ARC AA, the high beam is the normal full power. The resistor is sized for an Arc LS. Larger lights that use higher voltages would typically call for closer to 66 ohms. E-Mail me if you want a 66 Ohm for a Lux V based light.

This mod is 100% reversable, BUT you should not remove the assembly from the kroll once it's installed. The forces required to pry it from the kroll will often break the glue's bond. I describe how to make one yourself in this thread. They are a fairly simple design, but there are a lot of gotchas that you have to look out for. The gotcha's are discussed in the thread.

It will look something like this, though there will be variations. This is the newer version.

type2_angle.jpg

The kroll switch itself is not included. The high or low beam is chosen by twisting the battery pack in or out 1/2 turn.

I've enough parts to make 200. They are $10 each + 2.50 bucks postage/handling. Yes, that sounds high but the padded envelopes cost more.

Edit: I'm not sure how to put this; If it arrives broken, I'll send you a replacement. I'll send you a new one once if it breaks in use. The joint where it is glued is the weakest point, so don't twist it while pulling. There are instructions for safely removing it.
<font color="red"> Again, I'm not making these any more.</font>
If you still want one after reading that... Order via pay-pal [email protected] or send $12.50 cash or money order to:

Send $12.50 to:
Daniel Suthers
4072 Fairlands Drive
Pleasanton, Ca, 94588

You can email me at [email protected]

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: FS: Hi/Low beam spring for ARC LSH

Daniel,

Sorry for not responding to you last PM to me...i've been quite busy with school nowadays.

I'll take one (for now...maybe more later) and send you money first thing Monday. This is a great mod by the way! It will give me a "poor-man's" feel for the real Arc4+. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

P.S. Any progress on a stable L4 clickie mod? I have one you can mess with. Let me know.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm in for two. Cool.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Peter

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast

Highly recommended !

Klaus

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

I got one from Dan and although it got smooshed in the mail (*sigh*), after taking it apart to see how it was made I can say with certainty that Dan has come up with one of the simplest, yet most reliable examples of two-stage dimming, especially at this ridiculously low price! It sure would be nice if more mfrs. took a serious look at this idea.

So Dan, do you work at your job for free too? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

gadget_lover

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:
I got one from Dan and although it got smooshed in the mail (*sigh*), after taking it apart to see how it was made I can say with certainty that Dan has come up with one of the simplest, yet most reliable examples of two-stage dimming, especially at this ridiculously low price! It sure would be nice if more mfrs. took a serious look at this idea.

So Dan, do you work at your job for free too? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Welllll. Kind of. I used to be salaried; so the second 8 hours of work was "incidental" and unpaid. Now I'm a semi retired consultant, so I charge for every minute, in 15 minute minimums. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

On the other hand, for fun I develop free software and contribute to software designs that I use. Sometimes it's just the challenge. I always learn from these projects so I gain quite a bit too.

Besides, I need SOME excuse to go out and buy new tools to clutter up the garage. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Daniel

jtice

Flashaholic

I dont get it,,, it looks like you are modding the Kroll switch,,
If its not included, then what do we do with what you send us?

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast

Jtice,

This is an opportunity for me to speak up. I got one of these from Gadget Lover. I just popped the helical spring out of my Kroll and popped in the mod. It's that simple -- deceptively simple -- if you have looked at the original thread, you know that this is more than just one spring. It's fairly complex and quite tiny. It's worthwhile making the mod for yourself if you have the time and parts and are willing to do some tweaking. But it's even nicer to have one shipped to you -- well worth the price.

Mine works really well. I recently got an Arc4+, and I have found that GL's mod gives my old LS that Arc4+ feel.

Paul

bryguy42

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
jtice said:
I dont get it,,, it looks like you are modding the Kroll switch,,
If its not included, then what do we do with what you send us?

[/ QUOTE ]

buy a kroll!!! and drop it in... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jtice

Flashaholic

Eh, ok, im in for one. Paypal has been sent !
This multiple level stuff is a seller for me.
Anything multiple level brightness is Awsome.

I will be posting my "MagUflex" as soon as my crrappy site is back up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif
It have a Uflex circuit from George80 in it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Geheim

Newly Enlightened

This mod should work with other 1w lights correct? I figure as long as the voltage is 3v for the module, as stated by Dan, it should work.

Chad

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast

PP sent for two. Thanks for making them available Dan!

Peter

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

Everyone, if you have an ARC LS with a twisty, you absolutely need to get at least one of these items. This MOD has my vote for the 2004 Most Useful Gadgit MOD. This sucker puts new life into your Arc and makes its even more usefull than what it already is.

Besides, because of the labor that's involved in making this, I think Daniel is offering these at a fantasic price.

clapon

Newly Enlightened

Just to be clear on how these work, the kroll still turns the light on/off and you get the low beam by loosening the battery pack? Is this correct?

gadget_lover

Flashaholic

Clapon is correct; The kroll still works like it always did. The low / high beam is selected by loosening/tightening the battery pack. Mine is set to go low when the battery pack is unscrewed 1/2 turn.

PaulW was also right on. All I'm selling is a replacment for that little pigtail that goes on the end of the kroll switch. This is really meant for use with the TSP, not the twisty. I'm glad that he's enjoying it as much as I am.

Jtice; What you are paying for is a replacement spring. What you recieve will likely include some bonus material, I.E blood, sweat or tears.

Geheim, I can't say what will happen in other lights. The easy test is to buy a resistor at radio shack and use it to complete the circuit. If it doesn't get hot and the LED lights dimly you should be OK. This assumes that the battery pack will screw in/out about 1/8 of an inch on the light you are considering.

Phoneguy, Thanks.

Daddyo, I hope you are sending money or paypal to remind me to ship you one. I'll be glad to email one to you otherwise . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I posted a full description of how to build the newest version in the mods forum.

Daniel

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast

Daniel,

Thank you for including Paypal. I've sent money for two springs. Thank you for doing this.

-Laurence