Your EDC Battery

7hns

Newly Enlightened
For your single EDC, is your battery rechargeable or primary? Reason I ask is logistics. If you use a primary for capacity, how do you know you are fully prepared when leaving? Using the light for a few minutes will drain your battery obviously and now you are leaving the house with a less than full tank. Vs if you use an RCR, you can easily recharge it every time you us it to ensure you are at 100%. Thoughts?

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDS 250 rotary using an AW protected 16340. I just charge it every couple of weeks whether I need it or not. I have two and rotate them.

tops2

Enlightened
I use rechargeable. For when I don't use it, I'll usually recharge about 2-3 weeks. If I use a little bit (up to maybe 10 minutes), I'll recharge after a week. If I use it more than 20-30 minutes, I'll usually top off at night. For EDC, I don't want to be caught off guard too badly.

dhunley1

Enlightened
My two main EDC lights are a Fenix LD11 and a Malkoff MDC 16650 neutral. I use an AW 14500 in the Fenix and a KeepPower 16650 in the Malkoff. I check the voltage once a week, and put a fresh battery in if it's at or below 3.8v.

laxtond

Newly Enlightened
My little fenix eo5 just uses a single AA eneloop, which I have a handful of. If I notice I've used my light more than a few minutes each day I'll throw in a new battery, put the slightly discharged one in a pile to be charged when I accumulate enough for a charging session.

TheMocoMan

Newly Enlightened
My EDC is Beta-QRv2 because it's on my key ring. I use a (AAA) Lithium for weight reasons. If I know I will be in a place where I'll need more light I opt for my S1 Baton with RCR123.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
For your single EDC, is your battery rechargeable or primary? Reason I ask is logistics. If you use a primary for capacity, how do you know you are fully prepared when leaving? Using the light for a few minutes will drain your battery obviously and now you are leaving the house with a less than full tank. Vs if you use an RCR, you can easily recharge it every time you us it to ensure you are at 100%. Thoughts?
18650 gives long runtimes and usually obvious when getting low. If I know I'll need it for long on times, just check or put a fresh one in before leaving. Easy.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
AW IMR 16340s in either my Eagletac D25C Ti. clicky, or my Sunwayman V11R.

I'm mostly carrying the ET these days, as it's a bit slimmer and overall, smaller.

I EDC a flip phone, Seecamp .32acp, SAK SwissChamp, wallet, keys and a pack of gum, so I like smaller packages.

Chris

TheShadowGuy

Enlightened
I generally use rechargeables-18650, 16340, and AAA NiMH for my most used EDC lights. I do consider using lithium primaries to feed my Ti3 since it boosts the firefly mode a bit, but the cost is hard to justify.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
I follow what many have already written and in addition I always carry one spare battery.

I have primary batteries but mainly for emergencies where charging would not be done easily.

tex.proud

Enlightened
I usually carry a 18650 flashlight using either a Sanyo NCR18650GA unprotected or an EVVA Protected 18650 NCR18650GA . Malkoff MD2 and HDS Rotary most of the time. I keep a spare battery in my work vehicle, and a battery with charger in my personal just in case. Then recharge on weekends. I have yet to need the spares or charger.

FNG

Enlightened
I use primaries (CR123) and have a spare light (G2Z) in the car. I also have an AAA keychain light that hasn't been used all year. I tried the rechargeable thing but don't use a light often enough to justify the ~$30 for a charger + batteries. $30 can get me a couple dozen CR123 and some AA and AAA which would last well over a year.

If we're being honest, a normal person does not need a flashlight 99.99% of the time in a normal day so I don't put any thought into whether my battery is full or not. It won't be the end of the world if your EDC goes out or if you don't have one on your person.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
If we're being honest, a normal person does not need a flashlight 99.99% of the time in a normal day so I don't put any thought into whether my battery is full or not. It won't be the end of the world if your EDC goes out or if you don't have one on your person.

Normal people usually do not visit forums like this; I use my flashlights many times per day.

Speaking of batteries, you would be much better served if your AAA or AA batteries were lithium primaries. :thumbsup:

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not recall this being a "which one is correct" thread but a "which do you prefer" thread.

So for me, I don't care if you rub sticks together to get your light to work.
I like primaries.

Well excuse me!

You are reading in much more than I wrote, my comment was not framed between 'correct' or 'prefer'. :sssh: :scowl: :wave: