How would you deal with this Hypothetical nightmare?

laxtond

Newly Enlightened
I'll try to keep this brief-

I'm working on getting a good all around flashlight for general purpose use. I started a new thread outlining what I would like, but then thought... maybe I'd learn more from hearing what YOU would do in a hypothetical situation which goes as follows.

You wake up one morning and find that ALL of your portable light emitting devices are gone and any batteries that may power said devices are too. You do, however, find a crisp $100 bill with which you can purchase replacements. (Don't say you'd buy booze to drown out your sorrows). You only get $100, can't spend more....don't try.

I know it would be very very difficult for me to pick one all around light, and I would gladly spend part of my money on a small AAA light (like my Fenix EO5) as a tiny EDC light. But I'd like to focus on what YOU GUYS would do if under these horrific circumstances.

I'll be very interested to see exactly what people would do in these circumstances.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd buy a cheap small lipstick light for my pocket, like my CR123A/16340 Shiningbeam I-Mini and its 2 AA adapter for $30ish. I'd buy something like my Convoy M1, M2 or S2+ 18650 lights, for $20-$23. I'd buy an Xtar XP1 li-ion/NiMH USB charger for $8, I'd buy the Xtar MC1+ 18650 1A/500mA USB charger (new model has voltage gage) for $10, I'd buy a couple AW 16340 IMR cells for $12, I'd buy a couple of Panasonic NCR18650B cells, for $10 and I'd buy a pack of Eneloop NiMH AA type batteries for $10.

That's $103 right there, so close.

Chris

laxtond

Newly Enlightened
The early bird gets the worm! You got a coupon code for being the first one and the $103 wasn't a problem!

Exactly the type of response I was looking for.

Thanks! Keep them coming!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I'd buy a Malkoff MD2 (comes with batteries) and use it to go find the sob what took my lights, and get what lights said sob hasn't already sold on Craigslist, then beat the crap outta said sob with the Icon Rogue 2 (with lanyards) he hasn't sold yet as nobody would buy that ugly so n so these days... all while yelling out "DON'T YOU EVER TOUCH MY FLASHLIGHTS AGAIN!"

Last edited:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
The early bird gets the worm! You got a coupon code for being the first one and the $103 wasn't a problem!

Exactly the type of response I was looking for.

Thanks! Keep them coming!

I'm up to four Convoy lights now, thanks to Ven sending me a custom S2+ triple XP-L jobbie, but I've been looking at the C8 pattern from Richard over at Mountain Electronics. They're $18 before cheap shipping and you can order it dedomed, for greater throw for $7 more, which is still inexpensive.

Convoy is a 'budget' light that's put together with good parts. I bought my M1, M2 and S2 along with two LG D1 18650 cells, for like $63 shipped via FastTech over in China. They're a good vendor.

Richard now has these back in stock and while it's a big large for pocket carry, you can easily carry it, or get a cheap belt holster and go that route.

http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=80&product_id=427

Chris

TheShadowGuy

Enlightened
Let's see...
Nitecore D2- about $12.
Pack of Ikealoops, AAA- $8.
Astrolux A01- $8
BLF 348-$8
BLF A6 5A/Astrolux S1- $30
2x Panasonic NCR18650B- $10
That leaves about $24, which I'd probably spend on a cheap headlamp, some batteries, accessories, or just go do something fun to take my mind off the loss. ;p
What does this cover? The A01 is a keychain, the BLF 348 makes a good extra EDC, and the BLF A6 makes a great multipurpose bright light. The Nitecore D2 is cheap and handles NiMH and Li-ion, and batteries to power the lights.
Alternatively, swapping the Nitecore D2 for a Liitokala Lii 100 and the BLF A6 for a Convoy S2+ frees up enough for a nicer headlamp, such as a Thrunite TH10.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
First I would obtain a 14 to 20 watt folding solar panel and a charger that was efficient (no screen and the least draining powered led indicators of charging state). Then if any money left over, I would consider the flashlights mentioned by others.

If a $100 is not enough, I would skip flashlights all together and worry about water, food, and shelter. :caution:

I'd quickly log on to FourSevens.com to purchase a Maelstrom Regen MMR-X and a spare battery. It has a one lumen moonlight, a 25 lumens low, a 150 lumens high, and a 800 lumen burst for one minute, then 400 lumens for two hours. The battery charger is inside the light. It's micro-USB rechargeable. :thumbsup:

Regen MMR-X - $100
Spare 18650 - $15
CPF Discount - $13.80
Free shipping
Total - $101.20

FourSevens customer service is so stellar that when you explained your situation, they'd wave the $1.20 you didn't have.

~ Chance

Oh yeah, it also comes with a ten year warranty.

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
I'd like to have a key chain sized EDC in stainless.
CooYoo Quantum $23

A General purpose 18650 light.

$35 Manker Quinlan Q11 USB rechargeable 18650 with moonlight, and 4 additional output levels... it is very programmable.

OR

$16 Convoy S2+ driven at 2100 ma. (I usually get them driven at 1400 but I have other lights if I need more output.)
At this level it does not have a moonlight. Low is about 50 lumens but will run for about 32 hours at that level. I could however swap in a guppydrv that would give me a moonlight and a number of levels for about $5

A Mid range thrower
A long range thrower is out of the price range for this exercise.

Convoy C8 XPL HI $18
or
Convoy L2 XPL HI $50
or
Home Depot Defiant 850 lumen triple 3C flashlight. $10
I'd make a 80 mm spacer so that it could run on a 18650.

A headlamp
Crealant CH10 18650 with two ramping modes. You can ramp the first setting to anywhere within its output range from very low to 480 lumens, then you can do the same for the second setting. < $20 with discount at gearbest.

Batteries

I just got four protected Panasonic NCR18650B protected 3400mah batteries in a case for $17

Battery Charger

I'd have to go cheap.
$5 - $10

SO if you pick one from each category you can get a low of $95 or up to about $155

Last edited:

ronniepudding

Enlightened
Aw, man, bummer. Did they get the lights in the car too?

Well, given the financial restrictions, and presuming that the 100 bucks has to last me for a good long while, I think I need to decide on one battery format and charger. Again, presuming that every battery has vanished from my property, and that I cannot buy more anytime soon, I'm going to have to go with AA format because the thermostat runs on those, as do many other essential devices.

OK, I just purchased an Eneloop 4-pack with charger for ~$20 after tax from Amazon.

Starting from scratch, my first priority is going to be a good headlamp.
1) Zebralight H52W will serve as both headlamp and flashlight, ~$70; as will
2) Fenix HL50 for $50, plus either...
A) an L3 Illumination L10C XP-G2 on clearance for $25, or
B) see if I can find another Eagletac D25A clicky Nichia on sale for $20.

My last $5-10 goes toward L91 and/or CR123 primaries.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, imma have to call BS on every posted answer, even if the Internet could take cash, sitting in the dark for days waiting for your ships to arrive is no fun.

It hurts, but I'd start with the local hardware store and over pay for an LED MiniMag, and either a 24 pack of cheapest alkaleaks available, or hit Target for a crummy Duracell charger w/ 4 NiMH. Then I'd head to the bank with the remaining $65 or so and deposit it. Only then could I go online and scrounge for deals. If its a hard limit, I'd probably go for the cheapest half-decent charger, NiteCore D2 (~$14), a Thrunite Archer or T10, and possibly some Amazon Basics if on sale.

While waiting for all that to arrive, I'd order a few pizzas, and invite everyone over for a slice and a show:

TheShadowGuy

Enlightened
I have been summoned back to this thread by shadow puppets. :laughing:

But really chillinn brings up an interesting point about cash. If the money had to spent in person...
I could argue a trip to Going Gear, but for argument's sake I'll stick to the local big box stuff.
-Maglite Pro 272 lumen+ Solitaire duo pack. $20.
-Eneloop 4xAA+charger in a pack. $20.
-Duraloops, pack of AA and 2 packs of AAA. $30.
-Cheap Energizer or Bushnell headlamp, or if not available, a 1XAA light like the bushnell 150 lumen thing. $15-$20.
-Sales tax (crazy high) and a little flex in case of higher prices fills out the rest of the budget.
In this case, I could still cover the basics easily... just not as well nor with the same degree of flexibility.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably would use the money to buy multiple mini-maglites. They're not that bad, AAs are cheap and plentiful, and for $100 you can get 4 or 5 of them. If just buying one light then it would be a Malkoff MD2 ($99).

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Would get a headlamp like a Fenix HL50 which I seen on sale for 38 dollars. Not sure how I would then spend the extra 60 bucks. Seen some AT flashlights on sale of 30-40 dollars. An E01 is like 10 bucks. When did 100 become too little for a flashlight? Do we still have inexpensive 6p around? That and a M61NL with 16650 plus a good cheap single bay charger could probably be had for under 100 or very near. I would do just fine.

If needed to get something right then a trip to Home Depot or Wallyworld and get a m@g light or whatever. Odds are that would work just fine. After all for the majority of people it does. With my 80 dollars in change maybe some booze to drown out the anger over my gear loss. Once had a BOB stolen and even after more than a decade I am still pissed.

Last edited:

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
Laxtond,
You already started a thread "tell me how to spend my paltry $100."
This thread is very simmular.
Are you looking for something that is not 18650 powered ?

laxtond

Newly Enlightened
In my other post I tried to define specific requirements that I would like a in flashlight to meet my needs.

In this post I was more interested to hear what everyone else thought would be important if they were limited to a relatively small budget to outfit themselves.

I apologize if it's redundant to post two separate threads, but thought I was asking two different things, however similar they may seem.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would get a headlamp like a Fenix HL50 which I seen on sale for 38 dollars. Not sure how I would then spend the extra 60 bucks. Seen some AT flashlights on sale of 30-40 dollars. An E01 is like 10 bucks. When did 100 become too little for a flashlight? Do we still have inexpensive 6p around? That and a M61NL with 16650 plus a good cheap single bay charger could probably be had for under 100 or very near. I would do just fine.

If needed to get something right then a trip to Home Depot or Wallyworld and get a m@g light or whatever. Odds are that would work just fine. After all for the majority of people it does. With my 80 dollars in change maybe some booze to drown out the anger over my gear loss. Once had a BOB stolen and even after more than a decade I am still pissed.

The 6P and a Malkoff M61NL is what I would want to get first and probably a few CR123s. I don't know if I could get a charger and a 16650 that I would be satisfied with and still stay under a hundred.
Strictly regarding the scenario I would want something right away so I would get a Fenix EO1 (I can get Fenix locally) ,Mag ML25LT 2C,Nite -Ize LED drop-in and an old style PR base incan Mag. I just bought a 3C a couple weeks ago so I know there are still some around.The eneloop kit at Costco is about $30 and that would give me batteries,charger and battery adapters.Should put me right at $100