Newbie; modding a Mini Maglite.

Rumble

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, newbie alert here.

I have never modified any light before but I'd like to turn my regualar 2xAA Mini Maglite into the brightest LED light possible, while still running on 2xAA.

Can you all throw out your suggestions and tell where and what I would need to make one?

I'm hoping that if I can make one, I can make a batch and give them out as gifts.

Cheers!

Burton
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
Get a BB500 or Madmax sandwich with premium LED from www.anlighten.com/shop and drop it in. They are expensive enough that maybe you'll think twice about giving them out as gifts. Also, changing batteries becomes a slightly fussy operation (the sandwich can fall out of the light), again maybe not so great for non-flashlight buffs.

The basic issue here is that despite the misconceptions of the general public, by flashaholic standards the Minimag is just not a very good light. If you want to give out good lights as gifts, why mess with modding Minimags? Get some lights that are good to begin with. Modding a Minimag is something to do with it if you're stuck with one.

wumblethump

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I can thoroughly recommend Inretech's 2AA adapter. Perhaps it isn't quite as bright as the sandwiches - it isn't regulated, AFAIK, but it has several advantages: It is cheaper, it is REALLY easy to install, and you can change back to incan. very easily. It also has a longer runtime (15 hours vs. 2 or 1 hours for BB and MM respectively - check out Quickbeam's awesome site for comparisons:)
http://flashlightreviews.home.att.net/index1.html (in the luxeon star reviews part)

I've been running my Inretech 2AA on lithium AAs. Very bright. Also runs well on alkalines. I can't comment on the preffered batteries of the MM or the BB.

In all, I don't think you can go wrong with either. There are also other LED modules that can be used, but no more luxeon drop-ins that I know of.

wumblethump

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or you can take a look at this page http://www.terralux.biz/products/index.htm However it seems these drop in modules (MiniStar1 and MiniStar 2) are very new and as far as I know nobody on this forum has tested them yet. Maybe you can send them an e-mail for more information.

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the BB and MM drop-in mods. Are they fully regulated or semi regulated?

If I'm looking for a reasonably white light with minimum off colors but I don't understand the specs describing the modules on the website.

Thanks for any help.

Billson

Rumble

Newly Enlightened
I'll try the Madmax and see what that's like. They're not cheap but the gifts are not for just anyone, it'll be worth it.

Thanks for the replies...I'll let you all know how it fares as a firt-timer!

Burton

paulr

Flashaholic
The BB modules are current regulated. The Madmax modules are voltage regulated.

You could also look at the Opalec Newbeam. Not as bright as a Luxeon module, but has much longer runtime and is less fussy to change batteries with.

I wouldn't get the Inretech. It really, really wants lithium (L91 AA) batteries. If you want to get lithium powered lights for your friends, get Arc LS's, or if you want something super bright, a Surefire L4, or if you're -really- a big spender, an Arc 4. For something less expensive that runs ok on normal AA alkalines, try the Streamlight 3AA Luxeon task light at $35 or so.