Does higher candela mean longer throw?

brons101

Newly Enlightened
Always wondered and is so would a higher candela light say 15000 beam intensity with 1000 lumens have the same beam profile as a light with say 9000 peak candela and 1000 lumens

Thanks

bykfixer

Flashaholic
1)Yes
2) No

A 1000 lumen light you cite with 15000 candela will be more throwy than the one with 9000.

While risking getting a debate started I'll say this....
A higher candela number for a given output (you cite 1000 lumens) indicates the light will travel further and still give a 1 candle power amount of brightness than the one with the lower number.

brons101

Newly Enlightened
So would this mean I would lose flood with the "15000" candela , it's hard to decide between lights as I would love to have a light with good throw but still be able to walk around and light up the whole area

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Here is a measely 160 lumen light boasting 12000 candela.

Gen 2 Streamlight Strions and TL2 LED's had virtually the same beam.

Note the wall to the right.
As you can see, there is plenty of spill to see by.

The higher candela number means it is more likely to drill a hole in fog or smoke better than a lower candela.
The lower candela is best for close up work without blinding yourself.

Both will provide plenty of spill.

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lumens is a measure of the total amount of light, while beam intensity (candela) is how concentrated that beam is.

In the OP's example of two 1,000 lumen lights, the one with the lowest intensity would have the brighter spill, and vice versa.