Thrunite lying to us?

brons101

Newly Enlightened
Looking at some thrunite flashlights and see that there beam distance and run times seem way off from what some people are saying online particularly the tc12 apparently having a 274 m beam distance when the reflector isn't deep and the led used in it is the same as other lights that have the same chip and get lower beam distance? Very odd do you think thrunite Is over exaggerating there specs? The tc12 has a huge candela rating at ,17650cd I believe that can't be true?

thejrod

Newly Enlightened
Check selfbuilt's reviews. Thrunite's test results are almost always very close to their posted specs.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should understand what beam distance is. It is a calculated value that supposes to have .25 lm at the specified distance. I guess no human being on that planet is capable to see anything at some 300 meters being lit with .25 lm beam, taking into account that a 1000 lm beam creates a visible cone of glow of dust and humidity right in front of your nose. And that cone of light emits itself much more than .25 lumens. So, there is no even theoretical possibility to see anything at the rated distance if you hold a flashlight in your hand.

If you want to check real flashlight performance, better do it in the vacuum :)

But there is one more or less realistic throw check method: find a road sign (one of those with reflective coating), walk away from it to the rated distance, then point a flashlight beam at it. If an atmosphere is not polluted you may see something.

Last edited by a moderator:

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
The tc12 has a huge candela rating at ,17650cd I believe that can't be true?

On Thrunite's wesbite I see the TC12 listed at 18760cd. Assuming they measured this at 1 meter it translates to a lux of 18760 as well. That's really not a lot but pretty good for a smallish EDC light with a reflector that size using a XP-L HD led.

I don't have any experience with Thrunite's lights but I would reckon their claims are probably pretty close to what you get.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not surprised.... I have a couple thrunites (T10 and Neuton V2) and they have a few wildly exaggerated efficiency specs claiming ~800 lm-hrs from 1xAA (2450mah NiMh) in the lower/medium range that nobody ever tests. I use a lightbox, ammeter and do runtime tests and find ~200 lm-hrs from a 2000 mah NiMh realistic (say ~300 lm-hrs on a Selfbuilt scale). That said, they're not only ones that exaggerate.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
You should understand what beam distance is. It is a calculated value that supposes to have .25 lm at the specified distance. I guess no human being on that planet is capable to see anything at some 300 meters being lit with .25 lm beam, taking into account that a 1000 lm beam creates a visible cone of glow of dust and humidity right in front of your nose. And that cone of light emits itself much more than .25 lumens. So, there is no even theoretical possibility to see anything at the rated distance if you hold a flashlight in your hand.

If you want to check real flashlight performance, better do it in the vacuum :)

But there is one more or less realistic throw check method: find a road sign (one of those with reflective coating), walk away from it to the rated distance, then point a flashlight beam at it. If an atmosphere is not polluted you may see something.

Agreed.
Even if there is little in the way of dust or water droplets lit by all that up close light it still drowns out what you see far away.
I find the best time of year is when it is really cold outside, humidity is near zero and not as much activity in the daytime stirring up dust like in warm weather.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
interesting...my TC12 is the only TN I have gotten that looks to clearly fall short of that rating. That being said it is still a kick but light with 13-14k at the most. I just know my 2016 PD32 and especially P12gt out throw it convincingly...

parametrek

Enlightened
The ANSI FL1 throw equation is actually very good for lights with under 500 meters of throw. At 1000 meters of throw the flashlght needs to be almost as bright as the sun and backscatter messes everything up.

A few years ago Thrunite used the wrong equation to calculate throw, leading to some "amazing" numbers that were twice as good as they should be. But they've been good lately. My only complaint with Thurnite is they often forget to mention that the neutral white version will be some percentage dimmer than the cool white version.