arc4+ flicker at level 16?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cynix

Newly Enlightened
i noticed that it flickers at level 16, and possibly other low levels (i can't see any flicker above level 10, maybe it's too bright for me to notice) it's not the "i can't run at this brightness level coz battery's flat/it's too hot, so i'm flickering down to a lower level" flicker, it's more like the flicker u see when u set ur monitor to a low refresh rate. flickers at something like 50hz or whatever. is this normal? tia.

also the tint is green at level 16 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, that is normal. At the lower levels, the duty cycle approaches what the eye can see. You can emphasize this by moving the light rapidly in front of your eyes.

This is a balance between tint management, phosphor integration and the eye flicker limit.

At the lower level, you will also see some momentary blips in the output occasionally due to the low ratio of LED to micro current.

Peter

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
More green than at level 1 but not too green. How much is too green? It is an eyeball thing (someday I will get a nice kelvin meter!). We QC them at level 16 and pull units that appear to green to us. I started this process last week so you may have received a unit that was too green at l16 and was shipped before we started checking at that level. If that is the case, we can replace it with one that is not as green.

Peter

cynix

Newly Enlightened
hard to say how green, i dont have any thing to compare it to.

i think i'll leave it for now, and if i ever need to send it to u for some reason (maybe for software upgrade) i'll swap /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif thanks peter.

btw, for sending it in for the free software upgrade, do i pay for shipping both ways? how about the non-free ones after the first time? tia.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the first upgrade, you only pay for shipping to us. On the second upgrade, you pay shipping both ways. The shipping costs are seperate from the $20 programming charge.

Peter

cynix

Newly Enlightened
i see, thank you.

i'll wait a bit and see if the software changes drastically /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
i put my arc4 to level 16, then waved it around in front of my eyes quickly and the effect peter described is very cool! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

edit: i noticed that it looks like there're rapid flashes of about 10(?) regularly interspersed by a longer period of time where there's no light. sorta like:

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0----0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0----0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.