26650 flashlights, where are they?

mccraggen

Newly Enlightened
I would have thought by now the handy 26650 would be far more common, why is it so slow to get going?

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would have thought by now the handy 26650 would be far more common, why is it so slow to get going?
I would think that the Chinese economy is slowing and that a shortage of on hand 26650 batteries in the market have slowed the 26650 lights from advancing any faster.

There does seem to be more coming of these sized lights coming to the market, but not as fast as I would like.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 18650 cell has a huge advantage in that it is used in a lot of other industrial applications (such as laptop computers) so all the R&D money goes into improving those cells.

The 26650 is less common and flashlights just don't create a large enough demand to spur the market into making more and better batteries at the same rate as the 18650. As a result, you have a pretty substantially larger battery with a comparably small increase in capacity. Plus, you don't get the same variety of cells with different balances of capacity and discharge rates appearing on the market. Thus, it doesn't make as much sense to produce lights for a market with much more limited battery choices.

One final thing, many of the 18650 lights out there will also accept lithium primary cells. That's adds even more flexibility to the form factor and will entice buyers who aren't ready to jump in to lithium ions yet.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 18650 cell has a huge advantage in that it is used in a lot of other industrial applications (such as laptop computers) so all the R&D money goes into improving those cells.

The 26650 is less common and flashlights just don't create a large enough demand to spur the market into making more and better batteries at the same rate as the 18650. As a result, you have a pretty substantially larger battery with a comparably small increase in capacity. Plus, you don't get the same variety of cells with different balances of capacity and discharge rates appearing on the market. Thus, it doesn't make as much sense to produce lights for a market with much more limited battery choices.

One final thing, many of the 18650 lights out there will also accept lithium primary cells. That's adds even more flexibility to the form factor and will entice buyers who aren't ready to jump in to lithium ions yet.
+1

I choose single cell 26650 flashlights for my work orientated flashlights and a two cell 26650 for distance use. My edc is a ZebraLight SC600 Mk3.

I find the advantage for using the 26650 battery more to liking than my previous 18650 or CR123a battery lights. :thumbsup:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Relevance is a related factor. With capacities not comparably more, the major benefit becomes power delivery. Combined with the larger size, guys are moslty drawn to 26550 when a new led comes out that requires silly amperage.

Last edited:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like my 26650 lights. And based on the volume 26650 should be available at ~7000mAh. I am looking forward to that day! Until then I am happy with Fenix 4800 and Keeppower 5200mAh cells.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
Battery technology will be a growing field as battery powered products become a bigger part of daily life.

The growth alone in battery use for automotive power is not near peak capacity or development. The next five years should be interesting.

texas cop

Enlightened
As far as I know all 26650's made the last 5 years are Chinese. By those standards are the best Chinese 18650 has about half the capacity of the best Chinese 26650. You want 20amp, 7000 mah 26650's get Panasonic, LG, Sanyo, Sony or Samsung on board. Until then just double the best Chinese 18650's and forget the rest.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am one of the many owners who feel that a 1x26650 flashlight fits better in the hand than a 1x18650 model. That's fine, when a flashlight is carried in a pack rather than a pocket.

As for the low energy density of 26650 batteries compared to their 18650 brethren, in absolute terms, a 26650 battery is still capable of storing more energy than an 18650. This is an advantage for those who cannot or prefer not to change batteries in the middle of a job.

Last edited: