Beam spreader for Arc4+

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmissionLine

Newly Enlightened
I really like the beam pattern on the Arc4+. But around the office, I'd like to have a wider hot spot even it it was a little dimmer.

Anyone know of some (hopefully removable) attachments to widen the hotspot a little?

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes. There is a beam diffuser that fits their 1 inch lights. The Arc4+ is a one inch light. I have not personally tried this myself.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay. I just tried the beam diffuser on my Arc4+. At a distance of about 24 inches, it illuminates an entire 8-1/2 x 11 sheet instead of casting a 4" diameter circle.

This is the F04 diffuser that fits the SF E2e. It costs about $12, depending on where you get it. It's very rarely on B/S/T. I got mine at
http://www.lpstactical.com/index.htm
for $11 incl. shipping.

Paul

EmissionLine

Newly Enlightened
Thanks! I'm googling, but couldn't find the OD of any of the surefire lights... just "This filter fits Surefire blah,blah.".

EmissionLine

Newly Enlightened
Good point. I hadn't thought about that since I'm not using the clip. I'm holding out for tritium markers in the screw holes and the new tail cap design. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm ordering the diffuser and the red and blue filters. I'll post pics of the flashlight and resulting beams when they arrive.

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
EmissionLine, I look forward to seeing your pics when you get the the beam diffuser and the red / blue filters against your "regular" Arc4+ beam.

Hopefully your shots will help me finilize my decision to pick up the diffuser as well.

Radagast

Enlightened
I went to Chris from flashlightlens with this very same issue and he said he would send me a little piece of LDF film to try. I'll hopefully get it tomorrow and try to do some beam shots.

Radagast

Enlightened
I got the LDF film and it's just what I was looking for. The hotspot is spread out more. This could be good for lsl lovers. Only problem is that it is square piece of film. I guess I need a spanner wrench and some scissors. Any suggestions?

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
does this go over the existing lens? is it a use it when you want to type of film or a one time and it is on there film?

Thanks. Post some beam shots of before/after when you get a moment.

Radagast

Enlightened
cue, It's thin plastic, smooth on one side a little rough on the other. It's not sticky and it won't cling like the protective film already on the lens (I was hoping it would). So far I've just put it in front of the light and compared level 1 with and without it. It makes it more of an lsl type hotspot but WHITE instead of violet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif. If you're into that it may be for you. I think I'm going to try to remove the bezel, cut out the film and then sandwich it between the lens and bezel /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif. I don't know where to get a spanner wrench. I take some pics and maybe someone can post them for me? Again, suggestions are welcome.

EmissionLine

Newly Enlightened
The film may solve a problem I'm anticipating. I can have either the SF diffuser OR the red filter on, but not both. I wonder if I could somehow glue the LDF film to the red filter...

Radagast

Enlightened
Good News. I got the following message from Chris at flashlightlens.com:

"You can peel off the shiny side and just stick it on if you want. It's got
an optically clear adhesive to hold it on. Once it sticks though, it won't
come back up without ruining the film, so make sure you use caution when
lining things up."

Hmmm. I hope it doesn't mess up the lexan. I need to find a dark place for some beamshots.

Radagast

Enlightened
I took shots of the arc4 with and without the film and also the lsl-p. If someone wants me to email them or can post them please PM me.

Radagast

Enlightened
I cut out the circle the best I could and I'm overall very happy. But, I pretty much eyeballed it with scissors. When I look closely at the beam it has a sunray type pattern around the edges.

I want to ask Chris if he could sell me some pre-cut circles but I don't have calipers to measure the inside diameter of the bezel. Does anyone know what it is?

Radagast

Enlightened
Chris recommends removing the bezel sticking the film to the lens and cutting around to fit. I was afraid of that. Spanner wrenches are not easy to find and not cheap apparently. Time to shop around!

Really... people holding off getting the Arc4 because of the high dome should check out the LDF film. It's close enough to the lsl beam but brighter and white.

stockwiz

Enlightened
thanks for the information. A beam like the Arc LSL is exactly what I am looking for. How much does this film cost? I didn't see just the film for sale while browing the site. Perhaps I should just PM him.

Wonder how this thread slipped my view for this long.

Status
Not open for further replies.