AAs and Surefire E2e question?

lightoftheworld

Newly Enlightened
If I take a Vital Gear 2 AA body and put a Surefire E2e bezel on it, would two NiMH AAs in it power a Surefire MN03 Lamp assembly which is rated "60 lumens for 75 minutes"?

The batteries I have are rechargeable AA HiMH/1.2V/1800mAh.

That's what I would like to do if it would work. Would it hurt anything to do that? Would I get my 60 Lumens out of it? Is the Surefire lamp assembly regulated? I'm not sure where the regulated circuitry is on Surefire flashlights, or if the E2e even has it. How much run time do you think I would get out of it?

Also, would it hurt the lamp if I used 3x123 batteries in it, or would it just give it a longer run time. Am I right in thinking that it's just LEDs that you can't overload with too many volts? For instance, wouldn't 3x123s hurt the KL4 head? I don't know much about all this stuff, I would appreciate any info here.

I know it is suggested to use the MN01, or the KL1 head on the Vital Gear body, but I would like something with a little more light than that, and I have all these extra rechargeable AAs sitting around that I would like to use and I can't think of any other way to get 60 Lumens out of something that will fit in my pocket using two AAs.

Thanks, Shane

B@rt

Flashaholic
Hi Shane,
2 NiMH AA's won't work, due to the fact that the voltage isn't high enough (2.4V versus 6V with 2 123's). Underdriving a bulb will prevent regeneration of the filament, thus resulting in a shorter bulblife. 3 123's will almost certainly kill it because of overvoltage...
Hope this helps,

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
the incandescent lamp of an E2e is not regulated, so using AA batteries will make it dim and fail early. using 3x123a batteries on it will cause it blow immediately. using various battery combinations on lights is only possible if there's a regulator of some sort. btw, if i'm not mistaken the KL4 was not designed to run on 9 volts, so doing so will kill it.

lightoftheworld

Newly Enlightened
Thanks.

Is there any way to get 60 Lumens out of something that will fit in my pocket using rechareable AAs?

Shane

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
maybe a princeton tec surge? its supposed to be brighter than an E2e, and it runs on AA batteries. i'm not sure if it would be as bright with rechargeable batteries though.