Inductor Core Questions

vicbin

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

In middle of winding my own inductor for a LC filter for my switcher (buck) circuit, I found a interesting toroid core from a grab bag type. Its non coated, black ferrite material size OD 15 mm, ID 8 mm and 4mm thickness.

The interesting part is this core type has high A (higher inductance per turns) and with only 3 turns I got about 20uH as I targeted.

Here are the observed result using a LCR meter :

1 t -> 2 uH
2 t -> 6 uH
3 t -> 22 uH
4 t -> 39 uH
5 t -> 60 uH
6 t -> 86 uH
7 t -> 118 uH
8 t -> 155 uH

In the past in winding my own inductors, I've never found this high A material as this one before, now questions about this inductor core :

- Is this core suitable for LC filter for post power switching (buck) ripple suppressor job ?
- Since I can have higher inductance with only few turns, is this core also suitable as a power inductor in switching circuits ?
- What is the difference in it's appereance for core material types between iron powder and ferrite ? Iron powder supposed to be metallic right ? I got one coated which the coating is chipped away and I can see it looks metalic to me, is this what they called powder iron type ?

Again, any EE or guru help is needed, TIA.

Vic

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
vicbin said:
Hi all,

In middle of winding my own inductor for a LC filter for my switcher (buck) circuit, I found a interesting toroid core from a grab bag type. Its non coated, black ferrite material size OD 15 mm, ID 8 mm and 4mm thickness.

The interesting part is this core type has high A (higher inductance per turns) and with only 3 turns I got about 20uH as I targeted.

Here are the observed result using a LCR meter :

1 t -> 2 uH
2 t -> 6 uH
3 t -> 22 uH
4 t -> 39 uH
5 t -> 60 uH
6 t -> 86 uH
7 t -> 118 uH
8 t -> 155 uH

In the past in winding my own inductors, I've never found this high A material as this one before, now questions about this inductor core :

- Is this core suitable for LC filter for post power switching (buck) ripple suppressor job ?
- Since I can have higher inductance with only few turns, is this core also suitable as a power inductor in switching circuits ?
- What is the difference in it's appereance for core material types between iron powder and ferrite ? Iron powder supposed to be metallic right ? I got one coated which the coating is chipped away and I can see it looks metalic to me, is this what they called powder iron type ?

Again, any EE or guru help is needed, TIA.

Vic

[/ QUOTE ]
Vic, the short answer is that this material is not well suited to your purposes. Materials like this with high mu generally saturate at lower flux and have higher losses than materials with lower mu. The longer and more arcane answer is beyond my typing stamina.

vicbin

Newly Enlightened
Hi Doug,

Thank you and YES ! This kind of short answer I'm expecting, no need for this poor newbie to go thru all those rocket science formula & explanation just for a simple dumb inductor question. To be honest, was quite scared after reading some of the "in-depth" result from google for inductor stuffs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Say I also got other same size core with much lower mu, is this (again "generally") means its more suitable for high current job ? (in my case my switcher only works at sub 100kHz, 56 kHz to be exact)

Btw, could you answer my question regarding the appearance diff between "powder" iron core and ferrite ? Powder iron core supposed to be looks metallic right ?

G'day Chris,

Believe me, with Doug's big contributions all this time especially in Electronic Forum, I trust him with all my heart. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,
Vic

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
vicbin said:
Hi Doug,

Say I also got other same size core with much lower mu, is this (again "generally") means its more suitable for high current job ? (in my case my switcher only works at sub 100kHz, 56 kHz to be exact)

Regards,
Vic

[/ QUOTE ]

"Generally" yes.

[ QUOTE ]
vicbin said:

Btw, could you answer my question regarding the appearance diff between "powder" iron core and ferrite ? Powder iron core supposed to be looks metallic right ?

[/ QUOTE ]
Generally the powdered iron core materials are lossier than the ferrites and other advanced materials, especially at higher frequencies. At the reletively low frequency of your application, a good quality powdered iron core should be OK. I hesitate to answer the appearance question for lack of knowledge. I can tell you that I have seen ferrite materials that looked non-metallic when broken but distinctly metallic when the surface was smeared as by cutting or filing.
In general, lower mu cores for power magnetics are often made from higher mu materials where the individual particles are coated with a non-ferromagnetic material before the powder is pressed into the final core shape. The "gaps" between the particles of ferromagnetic materials lowers the bulk mu and greatly improves the bulk material saturation and loss characteristics. Trust me, this is *still* the short answer.
Thanks for the vote of confidence. BTW.

MrAl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello again Vic,

When you said

OD=15mm
ID=8mm
Thickness=4mm

did you mean that the 'height' of the toroid
was 4mm ? That is, when you lay it flat on a
table like a donut the measurement from the
table to the top of the toroid is 4mm ?
Or, were you talking about the approximate
difference between the outside diameter and
the inside diameter?

Take care,
Al

vicbin

Newly Enlightened
Hello Sensei !! err.. I mean Mr.Al ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Looks like you're interested in this core details, to honour you let me take out my caliper.

Details :
Outer Ring Diameter : 16 mm
Inner Ring Diameter : 8 mm -> means the thickness of the ring is (16 - 8) / 2 = 4 mm
Height of the Ring : 4.1 mm (yep as you asked lay flat on table from bottom to top) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Material appearance : uncoated dull carbon black non metallic surface, under the magnifier lens (used to be for diamond inspection) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif its not a smooth surface with lots of micro dimple. Is this what they called compressed ferrite powder ? Because other ferrite material (toroid or rod) I got has a smooth and black dark gray metallic looks even from cut away or chipped away area.

What do you have in mind Mr.Al ? As you see I was planning this core for the power LC filter in our switcher preregulator project and I find out it is a high mu material. Only 3 turns I can get 22uH while with other cores it took me so many-many turns to archieve this inductance value.

Bottom line is, I've learn a lesson, it is a pain to go through all of this stuff if you're toying with a power switcher circuit without an oscilloscope isn't it ? Time to save some money. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Vic

MrAl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello again Vic :)

Thanks for clarification on the dimensions. I thought that's
what you meant but i wanted to make sure before using any
time doing any calculations.

And yes, that sounds like a ferrite not iron powder.
I'll do some basic calculations to try to classify
this core a little better unless you already did that.
Do you have any other cores laying around?

All i have in mind is to try to understand more about
the core based on the info you have supplied already.

Without an oscilloscope:
Yes, if you had one i could suggest lots of tests
once you get it built up. Normally for a new design
you would have to make some checks using a scope.
Since you dont have one we might look for other
ways to do the basic tests you need to do with any
new switcher design.
One of the most important tests is to check for
inductor saturation. Since i think you intend to
use a random core with little data available this
is even more important. With a scope you would
check the current through the inductor and look
near the end of the pulse for a possible quick
rise in current which would indicate the
inductor saturates unacceptably. Without a scope
perhaps you can look closely at efficiency
measurements (assuming everything else is as per
the chip manufacturers data sheet recommendations)
and look for a sharp decrease in efficiency.
You can then check to see if the inductor gets
hot etc. Another possibility might be to use
a ripple detector to try to detect a rise in
ac current through the inductor.
Another test is to check the ripple current
through the capacitor to make sure it doesnt
exceed the limit for that part number. If
the limit is exceeded for any length of time it
could destroy the capacitor (you'll have to
choose this cap wisely also). Possibly a
rise in ripple current here also indicates
inductor saturation.

BTW, i take it you are looking at the switching
regulator section of your dual regulator project
we have been talking about in the other thread right?
So this means you expect to get about 3 amps output
at voltage varying from about 4 volts to maybe 24 volts?
(switcher section only) with an input of maybe 30 volts?

Take care for now,
Al

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure that you recognize that it is easier and possibly cheaper to *buy* an inductor with the specs you want. I approve of doing it the hard way since it is more fun and there are often things to learn along the way.
Here is a trick for determining the saturation characteristics of your inductor without having a scope. Wind the number of turns you need to get the inductance you want as measured by your LCR meter. Now wind a second winding with an equal number of turns. Apply a DC current to the second winding while monitoring the inductance of the first winding with your LCR meter. Increase the DC current. As saturation current is approached, the inductance on the first winding will begin to drop sharply. There doesn't seem to be a universally accepted criterion for what is "saturation current" but reduction of initial inductance by 10%, 30%, or 50% are commonly used values.

MrAl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Doug,

Just wondering what you are using for your current
source when you say "Apply a DC current to the second
winding". Also, what to do when there isnt any
room to add a second winding for testing.
I was thinking of perhaps 1 turn and adjust current
for N times the amount, but it would take too
high a current if there are something like 60
turns on the 'primary' and you want to test the
construction for say 1 amp dc current.
Any more ideas?

Take care,
Al

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
MrAl said:
Hello Doug,

Just wondering what you are using for your current
source when you say "Apply a DC current to the second
winding
Al

[/ QUOTE ]
I have a variable constant current load/source made from LM317s that I would use. A resistor and variable power supply could be used as well.

[ QUOTE ]
MrAl said:
Also, what to do when there isnt any
room to add a second winding for testing.
I was thinking of perhaps 1 turn and adjust current
for N times the amount
Al

[/ QUOTE ]
Remember that for the purpose of the test, you could use fine wire. Yes, scaling works fine.

[ QUOTE ]
MrAl said:
Any more ideas?
Al

[/ QUOTE ]
It doesn't help the original poster but I have used the method of exciting the inductor with a low duty cycle pulse train from a stiff voltage source through a low ohm sense resistor monitored by a scope. In your test setup, pay attention to where the stored energy goes when the current turns off.

MrAl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello again Vic and Doug,

Doug:
I guess what i was getting at was that it looks like
a resistor and voltage source idea wont work...
which most people would be tempted to hook up.
Consider the case where you have two identical windings
and using a 100 ohm resistor in series with a nice
dc power supply set to zero volts output. With no
dc bias somehow the primary inductance looks like
it goes down :)
On the other hand, it looks like a current source
created by using a 317 regulator might work pretty well.
The difference between the two being the current source
has a high output impedance while the voltage source
method has a low output impedance normally.
I just wanted to bring this point up to examine it a little
more perhaps for the benefit of other readers who might
try this at home.

Vic:
Looking again at your original core, it looks like
it's somewhere in the middle of the range of materials
available--but on the high end of the type that might
be used in an inductor with dc current flowing.
It's hard to say how this will react with dc flowing
unless you can test it, but you could also rely on
testing it once the switcher is assembled.

The wire gauge you could get away with (for 3 amps)
is number 18. It looks like the min number of turns
will have to be about 15 due to the core area and
operating frequency. Might be better to start with
20 turns. This will give a high inductance, but with
dc bias it will come down sharply without an air gap.

For testing, you could raise the input voltage slowly
and measure input current, output current, etc., to
make sure you're getting reasonable efficiency.
Of course you should test the switcher very well before
connecting up the final stage linear.

Take care,
Al

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Al, I see your point about using the voltage source plus resistor. Can't put much past you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

MrAl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi again Doug,

Hee hee, wish i could catch everything that came up :)

I was once considering doing this exact test with that
voltage source setup and i think i may have told a few
other people to try doing it that way too, color me red in
the face a little :)
What i thought about was well why not use 1 ohm resistor,
then maybe 0.1 ohm resistor, at which time i realized
i would no longer be testing an inductor but rather
a transformer with a shorted secondary !! :)

Anyway, after simulating two 1mH coils linked by a coupling
factor of 0.99 and the primary driven with an ac voltage
source of about 10kHz i found that using the voltage
source shorts out the secondary as thought, but using
the current source seems to work ok.
Because the current source worked ok, i though maybe it
would be almost the same as connecting a dc current source
in series with the ac voltage generator on the primary.

I guess if using a LCR meter we should also know more
about the method used to test cores that particular meter
uses. I would guess something like I=E/wL for inductors.

I guess sometimes nothing makes up for having some good
test equipment. Perhaps Vic, who seems to like doing
these kinds of circuits so much, could look into the
purchase of a used scope. I got mine that way.
A scope allows testing of so many things it might
be worth getting one, even a cheap one.

Take care,
Al

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
MrAl said:
I guess if using a LCR meter we should also know more
about the method used to test cores that particular meter
uses. I would guess something like I=E/wL for inductors.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think most of the cheaper LCR meters use something in the range of 1-10kHz. The fancier meters let you select the test frequency.
Yeah, I added that voltage plus resistor suggestion as an after thought without thinking it though. I should have realized that there was a reason that I had used a current source in the past. I'll have to plead diminished mental capacity. It's been over 30 years since i studied that stuff.
I noticed that good scopes are really cheap on Ebay. A Tektronix DSO that I paid $3K for 15 years ago can be had for a few $100s.

MrAl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Doug,

Oh ok that sounds reasonable.
I dont do this stuff every single day anymore either :)

Sounds like a good price for a Tek. I hope Vic looks
into this as he sounds like he would benefit from having
one. He really likes working on these kinds of projects.

Well, take care for now,
Al

vicbin

Newly Enlightened
Hello Doug and Mr.Al,

This thread is growing beyond my expectation, by having two senior, old timer EEs discussing my lowly humble problem using an EE's MacGyver method.
My sincere gratitude to both of you ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif
Permission to declare my self as your apprentice ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Doug, thanks for the idea at those cheap Tek scopes, yeah been drolled watching the list of cheap stuffs at eBay, especially those sexy & cheap "Lambda" high end lab power supplies. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Unfortunately I don't live nearby the neighbourhoods, thousands of miles across Pacific ocean in "less" technological established country. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Even I can afford the 100-200 bucks, the s/h cost is killing me since it will be higher than the stuff itself. (Did I mention handling, custom charge & import tax ?) Worst, there is no guarantee those used scopes still "properly" working or not way out of calibration. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

In the past, I had a very hard time trying to explain to my wife the "details" & "why" the total cost for shopping leisure at Digikey's stuff (in the old Zetex project) and at so many LS purchases, even Arc-LS "2nd" s/h charge + custom tax I purchased last year was cost more than the latest Arc4+ premium price alone. "sighs"... that was in shipping discount season by Peter Gransee. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Ok, apologise for the rants now back to our discussion.

I was trying hard to follow both of your EE's talks and let me summarize both of your suggestion in determining core saturation limit (the hard or EE MacGyver way) :

IN circuit test with less complicated way (still hard though), to throw out a core :

- Watch for efficiency drops while cranking up the power output, if it drops like a stone then throw it away.
- If the core temperature gets hot, bye..bye core, NEXT ! (warm in high load is OK right ? or is it still a no no ?)

OFF circuit test :

- "Assume" I can wind & cramp in the core with multiple smaller gauge wires and the total all wires capability approx. a bit higher Amp rating than a single big wire. (as Mr.Al said in other thread, to minimise <font color="red">"skin affect"</font>. See !! I remember well everything you've said in the past Mr.Al ) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
- Pick one of the wire and connect to the LCR meter.
- With the rest of other wires in parallel, pump in current from a constant current sources. (Trust me, I can build in a blink an "adjustable" constant sources up to 5 to 10 Amps, the old LM334 discussion was quite popular right ?) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
- Now watch the LCR meter for a sharp inductance drops as we gradually increase the current. If it dropped hard before the desired current, then it is safely to assume this core got saturated prematurely.

Now, the hard parts for both of you, the questions : /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

- Did I miss anything or someway misunderstood or misinterpretations ?
- Is it safe for the LCR meter ? Should I connect to the current source first then the LCR meter ? Or it doesn't matter at all?

[ QUOTE ]
"reduction of initial inductance by 10%, 30%, or 50% are commonly used values." ?

[/ QUOTE ]
Doug, please explain ? and how much reduction is considered "normal" ? "50%" is also normal ?

[ QUOTE ]
Might be better to start with 20 turns. This will give a high inductance, but with dc bias it will come down sharply without an air gap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mr.Al, I think it is the same question as for Doug, if it is a different idea, please explain ?

This thread is turning into more interesting ideas and methods than I can think of. Hope this will help other CPFer as well.

Many thanks,
Vic

MrAl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Vic,

Sorry to hear about your extra shipping charges, that must be a pain.
Makes it harder to get stuff from some places. I see now why you are
having a problem obtaining a scope.

Also sorry for the long post, but i figured i better get this
stuff out there while i was still thinking about it :)

There are other ways to determine if the inductor is working
correctly. Most notable is if the switchers series transistor
starts to heat up rapidly. Since you may be working with a chip
that has a built in transistor, you may have to keep a finger
(carefully) on the chip to see if it heats up quickly. This might
be a good time to ask what chip did you decide on? It would be
nice to know if it has built in current limit or whatever.
The series transistor is the first thing to blow out if the
inductor doesnt work. It might overheat and blow quickly
so you have to be careful unless the ic chip provides
peak current limit.

IN circuit testing is a little more reliable, since after all your
test setup is not an abstract of what you 'intend' to do with the coil,
but rather the exact application. This is one reason why i recommend
this approach over others. Also, we still arent sure how exactly
you LCR meter works -- does it put out an ac voltage and measure
ac current, or does it put out an ac current and measure a voltage,
or does it put out a pulse and measure something at the end of the
pulse? To know for sure i think we would have to look into the
LCR meter then go from there, or else have someone check out the
meter with a scope and determine how it works exactly. Otherwise
i would be afraid to advise on the outcomes of tests used with
this meter. It 'should' work the way Doug and i were discussing
but im still a little wary about assuming it works exactly the
way we hope it does. Maybe it does, but i think we should use
its measurements as a 'backup' and not as a specification test
procedure until we know more. It would be nice to see the
results anyway.

Since by now you know that inductor saturation is the first and
most important thing to look for in a new design, ways of finding
this out without using a scope also include looking at the peak
current through the inductor. Im thinking that perhaps another
way to do this is to use a peak detector such as that used with
the Zetex circuit to detect output ripple. With a 0.1 ohm resistor
in series with the inductor perhaps we could look across this
resistor with a peak detector. At first we would measure a small
peak voltage--around 0.5 volt perhaps. Then as the input voltage
is increased this voltage would either stay the same or increase
slowly. If it increases very sharply we know the inductor is
saturating beyond that which is useable.
If instead the chip starts to cut back the current as to limit
the max output current, then the condition is easily detected
by noting a decrease in output voltage. This should be
easy to detect.

We also have to remember that this core doesnt have an air gap
so it's most likely going to saturate at some point. Where it
saturates and how bad its effect is will determine just how
much output current you can get out of the switcher with this
core, and possibly input output differential max too.

Questions:
1. Multi-strand wire
Dont bother yourself with this right now, as you dont need
super great efficiency with a test unit like this. If you
wish to try this later there's nothing wrong with it though.
Perhaps two strands would be enough just so you get the two
windings for testing the LCR meter idea (for short quick
tests so the wire doesnt overheat).

2. LCR meter protection...
If you decide to do these tests also, you
should connect the current source first (with binding posts or
something that wont become disconnected even for a split second).
Set the current then connect the meter. Disconnect the meter
before changing the current setting also. This protects the meter
from high surges in voltage. Remember when connecting and disconnecting
a source from an inductor could give rise to very high, short bursts
of energy in the form of a high voltage which could cause nasty
shocks too. Dont touch the coil at all when connecting/disconnecting
and make sure the connections cant come loose.

3. Acceptable percent inductance change...
Rather then specify a particular percent change, look for a minimum
inductance value that will still be useable with your input voltage
and ripple current requirements. Lets say 1 amp peak max ripple.
At 60kHz, with 30v input max and 15 volt output (switcher at
50% duty cycle) the minimum acceptable inductance is 62.5uH.
Since we want 3 amps dc output with 1 amp peak ripple this brings
the total peak current to 4 amps. With 4 amps inductor current
the inductance should be at least 62.5uH. If the inductance is
less then that the ripple current increases. At 31uH for example,
the ripple current will be twice that as 62uH which comes out to
about 2 amps peak instead of 1 amp peak for a total of 5 amps peak.
This also says something about the state of the inductor...
If we watch the ripple current if it rises too much we know
the core is no longer providing enough permeability to
give enough inductance for our application. Interestingly,
since the ripple current rises the output ripple voltage
also rises so this is another thing we can watch in order
to keep an eye on the dynamic state of the inductor.
Perhaps you would want to build up a peak detector to
check these measurements.

For these in circuit tests it may be possible to get the
ic chip to put out a 50% duty cycle switching pattern
regardless of the input voltage level. This would give
us a good way to test the inductor. This should be rather
easy to do by setting the output voltage for half of the
input voltage. This would require a voltage divider
with a pot to adjust output voltage with, and im sure
you can come up with something yourself to do this?
The output dc current would also have to be adjusted
for the same current (probably 3 amps).

This means the test procedure would go something like this...

[Test #1]
Starting with 10v input and 5v output loaded to 100ma (50 ohms).
Check output ripple voltage and possibly peak current
through inductor. Increase load in steps such as
200ma, 400ma, 1amp, 2amps, etc, up to 3 amps.
Check transistor/ic overheating, keep an eye on
ripple measurements. Increase input voltage if
needed to maintain 10v input and 5v output.
If you reach a point in output current where a problem
comes up, note the best input/output conditions you can
get just before the problem appears.

[Test #2]
Increase input to 15v and output to 7.5v loaded to 100ma.
Make measurements and check overheating as in Test #1.

[Test #3 and more]
Continue to gradually increase the input voltage and
output voltage making measurements and checking for
overheating.

In each test remember that as each quantity is slowly
changed each measurement should slowly change also
or not change much at all.
An abrupt change in a measurement indicates something
is going wrong, probably the inductor saturates beyond
that which is useable.
When increasing input voltage, try to adjust all the
other variables (output voltage and output current)
smoothly by increasing by 1 volt, then adjusting
output voltage and output current, then 1 more
volt, etc., etc.

If you only get up to maybe 20 volts before something
starts to increase quickly or something overheats,
then you either need to change something about the
inductor or get another core and start with that.
A core with a larger cross section would be good,
or perhaps even two cores side by side with turns
around both would work up to 30 volts where one core
couldnt make it.
Before that you could try adding 5 more turns and
see if that gets you up to a higher input voltage
before something goes wrong. If so, another
5 turns (10 more total) might get you up to the
full 30 volts.

Another idea if you have lots of these cores around is
to carefully break the core by placing it in a vise
after wrapping with maybe aluminum foil. Glue it back
together with super glue. This is kinda fun like a
3d puzzle :) The glue will act as a small
air gap in two or more places in the magnetic path.
You'll then need to wrap turns and test with your LCR
meter as you did before. We can use the results of
this test to determine if we can use the broken core
or not, and if so how many turns are needed.
If it works, perhaps a higher temperature glue
would be better for long term use.
Hopefully the broken core wont require too many
turns to make it again act as a useable inductor
for this app.

Possibly more ideas in the future.

Take care,
Al

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vic, Mr Al is taking very good care of you. I have very little to add to his excellent advice.
I see one question you asked that was not addressed. You asked "- If the core temperature gets hot, bye..bye core, NEXT ! (warm in high load is OK right ? or is it still a no no ?)"
It is very unlikely that you will damage the core even if it performs poorly in your application. Warm is OK and normal in a high load application.

MrAl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello again,

Hee hee :) I hope Vic makes out good with this
project.

Im glad you remembered the temperature issue Doug
because i forgot to comment on that myself. I'll
add this to what you have already generously written.

When the core heats up with some materials the possibility
of driving it into unacceptable saturation is increased
because the Bmax of the cores usually (if not always)
decreases with increased temperature. At 100 deg C it
could be as much as 1/2 that at 25 deg C, so again
possibly more turns will be needed. Adding more
turns increases the applied magnetic force which also
increases the total B, so this brings us to the test
starting current issue again.

I have to wonder if 100ma dc is a good starting
current for the first test. After reviewing the core
data for a material i found that has the same initial
permeability as that of that 16x8x4mm core we've been
talking about that perhaps a lower current, such as
10ma dc, would be better to start with. This means
the output current would be adjusted in steps like these:
10ma
20ma
40ma
80ma
100ma
200ma
400ma
800ma
1 amp
2 amps
3 amps

The reason for starting with a lower dc current is because
this core sure is small and it doesnt have any air gap.
This means it could easily saturate beyond that which makes
it useable in this application. If it works at the lower
current and not at the higher current then we know
right away what is wrong.

Take care,
Al