Is sure fire eb1 outdated?

jonathan.silva05

Newly Enlightened
I really like the eb1. It seems quality and I love the mode of operation. Tail switch with high/low. Is it outdated though? I feel like it could be smaller and have either a higher lumen rating or longer run time.

Sell me on a single cr123 light with a tail cap switch, high/low mode (without turning it elzetta) and is as quality as sure fire.

A lot of people have told me about building my own. I'm not against it but the task seems daunting to a newb like me.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
It is about as outdated as Kelloggs pop tarts.
Some would say yes, others would say no.

Check out the PK PR-1 sometime. He designed a number of SureFire lights. The PR-1 is his latest offering.

Last edited:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like the eb1. It seems quality and I love the mode of operation. Tail switch with high/low. Is it outdated though? I feel like it could be smaller and have either a higher lumen rating or longer run time.

Sell me on a single cr123 light with a tail cap switch, high/low mode (without turning it elzetta) and is as quality as sure fire.

A lot of people have told me about building my own. I'm not against it but the task seems daunting to a newb like me.

People love SFs and they're a collectible light, no doubt.

I got a great deal ($34 OTD) on a new 6P LED, which is my first and only SF light. I added a Redilast XM-L2 U2 3 mode 'P60 drop in' and a Redilast 17670 li-ion cell and it's now a peachy light.

There are other lights that do more, do it for less money and do it smaller, but I understand the fascination with SF products. Now, if I'm going to put a light on one of my ARs, I'd stick with SF, or Elzetta, for their claimed durability.

Chris

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've just ordered a new 200/5 lumen EB1 for less than $90. I wouldn't have paid the full retail price for one.

The new version has 300/5 lumens but would cost $100 more.

I'm hoping with the TIR lens that the EB1 will make an ideal pocket carry light.

jonathan.silva05

Newly Enlightened
I'm seeing that price on the eb1 on Amazon. Elzetta alpha looks sick but I don't like the fact you have to twist the cap for liw

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alpha is nice, but remember, it is thicker and no clip. The best option is a aftermarket Dark Sucks Ti clip. Now the cost goes up. As for the High/Low switch: if you tighten it just right can you push to get low and push harder to get a temporary High.
I like the E1D. It is a solid performer.
What about the Nitecore D25Cti? Have you seen one of those?

jonathan.silva05

Newly Enlightened
Alpha is nice, but remember, it is thicker and no clip. The best option is a aftermarket Dark Sucks Ti clip. Now the cost goes up. As for the High/Low switch: if you tighten it just right can you push to get low and push harder to get a temporary High.
I like the E1D. It is a solid performer.
What about the Nitecore D25Cti? Have you seen one of those?

I haven't. I don't use clips because I've had a couple streamlight come off multiple times. I just throw it in my pocket

jonathan.silva05

Newly Enlightened
Just saw a zebralight. Looks solid. I think i could get used to the side button but the UI looks too complicated. What you think?

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just saw a zebralight. Looks solid. I think i could get used to the side button but the UI looks too complicated. What you think?

It's a great UI once you get used to it. Sometimes I won't carry my SC600cw for months at a stretch and then I'll go back to it and forget for a second, what's what.

I need to pick up an H600 Mk Awesome soon.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast

Condescending and demeaning comment re retarded individuals removed.....Bill

It's a great UIsending remar once you get used to it. Sometimes I won't carry my SC600cw for months at a stretch and then I'll go back to it and forget for a second, what's what.

I need to pick up an H600 Mk Awesome soon.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast

1. I'm still amazed and astonished people pay that much for a torch. I suspect the biggest marvel of Surefire is how they manage this, rather than anything their lights actually do.

2. I suspect a separation between being a good torch and being out dated needs to be done. As you can have a good out dated torch and vice versa.

3. I don't know the full specs of the EB1. But I'm guessing it isn't using the latest LED's? Do you know which LED it is? So on this ground alone, it probably is out dated.

4. It only has two output modes and a non programmable driver. Two outputs might be ideal in terms of use, but no option of Moonlight, Turbo or a Mid output and no mode memory or instant access to 'x' mode certainly make it dated in this respect. But this doesn't mean it isn't fit for purpose.

5. While talking about the driver. Does it use PWM for it's low output? If so, then that is bad. If it doesn't, then good.

6. It doesn't appear to support Li-ion, which in this day and age is just absurd.