E-Mail Altnernatives to Outlook Express

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is inspired by a sister thread "Browser Alternatives to Microsoft IE." I am now using MyIE2 rather than MSIE and love it. Now I am wondering if I can upgrade my e-mail program (Outlook Express) too.

The program must support multiple e-mail addresses (I have two). It does not have to be completely different than Outlook Express....Outlook Express add-ons/upgrades are welcome.

Thanks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eudora
Opera
Netscape
Mozilla
Mozilla Thunderbird
The Bat by Ritlabs(not free has 30 day trial, but a very good one...my favorite)
Sylpheed (yes, there is a windows version)
Pine (my old favorite)

Mike

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
We use Eudora at work (I won`t allow the MS mail programs there because of the security issues) and it`s pretty good. The free version will run without ads in a more limited form (only one pop address) than if you allow them to advertize at you, but for a modest amount you can upgrade and allow as many addresses as you need with no banners at all. Does everything a good mail client should do, except automatically open malicious attachments sent with messages containing the iframe explot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif . Use it in conjunction with MailWasher to pre-screen everything you recieve and keep spam and virusses out completely!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want MAXIMUM configurability, and don't care about a GUI interface, check out mutt. It has a steep learning curve, but you can make it do anything. I use it exclusively for personal mail and mostly for my business mail, though I occasionally have to use Outlook for coordinating schedules and meeting notices with cow-orkers.

Bill.H

Enlightened
I'll go along with Chris. I don't permit OE at work due to security issues, so everyone uses either Pine (unix) or Eudora (but make sure you have the option set to NOT use MS's viewer).

Agent is a great newsreader but has only been a fair mail client, however, Agent v2 should be out soon and there's supposed to be improvements to the mail client. I'm going to check it out and switch from Eudora v4 (paid version) to either v6 (paid) or Agent v2.

BTW, Eudora will import your OE address book and all your OE mail in seconds with only a couple clicks. Couldn't be easier to change over.

cy

Flashaholic
I use Mozilla Thunderbird. It's stand alone, stable, free, best of all has an excellent baylean or intelligent spam filter that learns what is spam vs real mail. By default it will render all email marked spam harmless.

It uses the same filter system as Spamassin (the best) used on the server side. I almost never get a false positive. A very few spam do get through because of creative spam writers. No problem just label what's get through as spam and the filter learns.

This has reduced my time filtering out spam by 99%. I highly recommend taking time to try Thunderbird. Short learning curve, very user friendly.

Thanks,
CY

BF Hammer

Enlightened
I'll repeat myself from the alternative browser thread. I use Pegasus Mail . It is full featured, and completely free. The author makes money selling printed versions of the manual. Multiple user accounts are easily set up.

I set up Pegasus mail and it's companion email server Mercury Mail where I work. In a smaller office network environment where people often work at different workstations this setup shines. You can share the email client from a server and all the email is centrally stored. You can access all messages saved no matter what workstation you're logged in to.

Pegasus Mail / Mercury Mail website

Canuke

Enlightened
I use Chris M.s Eudora/Mailwasher setup, except I use the version of Eudora with ads because I use multiple addresses (in my own domain), and the ads are low-key, non-obtrusive(*) and usually advertise things that would be relevant, like spam and popup killers etc. I prefer to keep mail and Web completely separate.

With Mailwasher, my virus checker and firewall rarely have anything to do! Mailwasher allows you to preview mail off the server, and does so using bulletproof ASCII-only. I absolutely recommend registering it, the service it provides is invaluable.

(*) One odd thing it WILL do is complain if something is covering up the ad. It only does it after a few minutes of such coverage, and doesn't do that if minimized.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice thing about many Outlook Express and Outlook alternatives is that they are less suseptible to viruses and worms. Because they don't run scripting and plugins automatically, don't use the windows address book, default reading e-mail in plain text. Doesn't mean they are impervious, just less suseptible. The normal precautions still apply.

Mike

Avix

Newly Enlightened
another vote for Pegasus. after all the crap that has been hitting the fan of late even the univercity is going back to it from OE.