Zebralights ui

jonathan.silva05

Newly Enlightened
Looking for a edc. Really looking for a cr123 simply because I can get them free at work and they are common. The 18650s are not common. Looking at the sc32 zebralight

I like the fact it is so feature packed but the UI seems clunky. How is it in everyday use? Also how is this brands reliability/customer service

_nw

Newly Enlightened
18650s are pretty common at vape shops (which are everywhere around here) and are rechargeable so they don't need to be as common to be useful. Plus they have a heck of a output/runtime advantage. But I'm not here to proselytize!

The UI has kept me away from Zebralight up to this point. I've not used one, but I've watched reviews and it doesn't seem like my cup of tea. Many on here love em though.

PB Wilson

Newly Enlightened
It only took me a short time to use the Zebralight UI effectively. Think of it as a three mode light with the option to easily choose another similar level with a simple double click. You can store some different levels within H, M and L with a bit of effort (not that bad really) but I've stuck with the ones Zebralight set up as stock and am extremely happy.

I like that I can turn it on in any mode with a bit of foresight. It's a rare occasion that I accidentally turn it on in H when I wanted L. Now using these lights is second nature. Don't let the options scare you away.

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ZL UI takes 5 minutes to learn, a few days to make it second nature. I love it--it's my favorite UI.

Esp. the newer versions with the disco modes all set aside by triple-clicking, and the battery-check with quadruple click.

I use all of the levels on the UI. And because they are discrete instead of infinite ramping, the run-times are incredible. There are no more efficient circuits on the market.

markr6

Flashaholic
Think of it as a three mode light with the option to easily choose another similar level with a simple double click.

That's really it if you want to keep it simple. 3 modes. Double click in any mode if you want to slightly dim/brighten that mode.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ZL UI takes 5 minutes to learn, a few days to make it second nature. I love it--it's my favorite UI.

Esp. the newer versions with the disco modes all set aside by triple-clicking, and the battery-check with quadruple click.

I use all of the levels on the UI. And because they are discrete instead of infinite ramping, the run-times are incredible. There are no more efficient circuits on the market.
+1

SC600 Mk3 is my edc.

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast
I stressed trying to learn the UI before I received my first Zebralight, but just had a hard time grasping the UI. Within 5 minutes of having it in hand I had it down. Within 15 minutes I had reprogrammed all the sub levels. It only took a couple days and I had the timing down so I always get low when I want it.

I'd love to see infinite ramping (or just using the 384 levels that are already present in the software) for reprogramming. Maybe even in regular use you could double click and hold for ramping within a mode.

jonathan.silva05

Newly Enlightened
+1

SC600 Mk3 is my edc.

How's the size? Looked at the sc32 with the single cell 123 and it almost looks too small. I think j can handle the size of the sc600 and would love the option of more light for a better all around use.
Especially since this is my edc right now.

Don't laugh. Hahaha
5abfdfca06b1dfe83f304b25d8316ddd.jpg

FraterAL

Newly Enlightened
SC600 mkiii would be my EDC if I were feeling ok about carrying a $100 light every day... favorite UI for sure. As it is i carry either a R16vn if I will be out in the dark, or one of a couple of smaller things for a normal work day (indoor, closer-up needs).

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
How's the size? Looked at the sc32 with the single cell 123 and it almost looks too small. I think j can handle the size of the sc600 and would love the option of more light for a better all around use.
Especially since this is my edc right now.

I like the size, it is easy to carry and have never had before a light with this much usable light for most any need.

Edit: SC600 Mk3 will need to use flat-top 65mm 18650 batteries with 10 amp capability.

Last edited:

jonathan.silva05

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking at the sc63 vs sc600 mk3. They both have incredible run times. The sc63 looks significantly easier to carry. I'll be working on alarm panels and looking in drop ceilings a lot. Really debating on whether to get both a small zebralight for work and something like a mk3 for outdoor/camping/around the house.

PB Wilson

Newly Enlightened
The SC600 MkIII was smaller than I realized, especially when compared to other 18650 lights I've used. 3 and 3/4" long isn't much, but the head might be a bit wide for tighter pockets.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say that while Zebralight UI may be considered as very complicated it isn't very complicated when you have got used to it. Regarding the customer service I can't comment but the reliability seems to be good. Never had any issue with any of my Zebralights.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the SC32w and SC5w they perform pretty much the same.The SC5w is my work light because I can use eneloops(no free batteries for me) and still get high performance.The SC5w is on the large size for a 1XAA light but that makes it better as a work light for me and it is still a relatively small light. The SC32w shares time as one of my EDC lights.I think the battery life is better with the SC32w(using CR123) and of course it is very small. The UI isn't my favorite but it performs well for work where I use the high output frequently.As an EDC I like the UI of my Olight S1 better even though the SC32w is a more capable light overall in terms of efficiency and the beam IMO.Seems like I jump to the wrong mode more often in the SC32w but it does work better for others YMMV.I have a love/hate relationship with multi-mode lights and would rather have just have a single or two level light most of the time.In your shoes I would probably get the SC32w if it doesn't suit you as a work light it is still very useful for camping/outdoors/at home.The larger sc63 and sc600 require a commitment to 18650 so I would hold off until you find out how much you like the UI.

EDIT - You may want to take a look at 2XCR123 lights if you want something larger since you get CR123s for free.Many of those lights can use 2XCR123 or 1X18650. I would recommend getting a battery tester if using multiple CR123s or any li-ions like 18650.

Last edited:

neil944

Newly Enlightened

Couldn't have said it better myself. The UI is different than anything else out there, but easy to master.

I have the SC600 HI, an H302w and H600Fd (headlamp versions of SC32 & SC62). The two latter are much more pocketable than the SC600. It's a fantastic light to be sure, just a little heavy. I'd say the SC32 would be perfect for you, especially given the free CR123's. If you do end up needing more lumens, the SC63 would be my next choice.

laxtond

Newly Enlightened
See that jonathan mentioned all neutral lights are on backorder. I ordered an H600fw mk II (neutral White) last friday, sent them an email on saturday and received a message stating it would be shipped in 5-7 business days. On Monday I got a shipping confirmation, unsure if that is only the 2 18650 cells I purchased, but I had assumed it would be both. I guess I'll see tomorrow or friday.

I do have a question about the Zebralight UI. I know there are different subsets of each level. My question is... will a short press ALWAYS go directly to H1 (turbo) or will I be able to set it to default into the 300 lumen setting? I think 300 lumens is about what I'll want from my light in most cases and do not like the idea of 1 short press to turn on then a double click to get to my 300 lumen setting.

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do have a question about the Zebralight UI. I know there are different subsets of each level. My question is... will a short press ALWAYS go directly to H1 (turbo) or will I be able to set it to default into the 300 lumen setting? I think 300 lumens is about what I'll want from my light in most cases and do not like the idea of 1 short press to turn on then a double click to get to my 300 lumen setting.
If you turn it off in H2 it will turn on with a short press in H2. It has memory for the last used mode in each mode group.