How did these MiniMags got destroyed?

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I gifted someone two Minimags, the latest-greatest LEDs got during Black Friday sale and a day later, they are not turning on. Tried different batteries, everything. It's not like there are a ton of buttons on that thing. No light. No signs of damage otherwise. Tried Alkalines, Eneloops, L91s to no avail.

My only guess, reverse polarity? The kid must have stuck the batteries the wrong way, but I thought they had reverse polarity protection.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
They didn't take the head off and pick at the LED itself did they? Check close for dome damage.... I lent my nephew my 1st mini mag LED and the next day, no function... Upon closer inspection, he'd picked the dome, bond wires and most of the phosphor off.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I had one straight out of the package fail to work.

Took it apart the way a consumer would, ya know, bezel remove, tail cap...all that.

Put batteries back in (with bezel still off), peeked inside the reflector briefly when suddenly BAM!!! It magically began working.

After the spots disappeared I figured it was a stuck switch that suddenly moved.
I wonder if that is the culprit in that case.

It's 2 pieces of plastic that slide up/down. Could be the female half isn't truely round, has birrs or something, or the male half is just too big.

Very similar to this.

Last edited:

Going_Supernova

Enlightened
This is from the instructions for the AA LED Mini-Maglite--I highlighted in red the items that I think pertain to your situation.

http://maglite.com/wp-content/uploa...h/Product Manuals/Mini_Maglite_AA_LED_WHS.pdf

TROUBLESHOOTING
: If flashlight does not turn on or stay on - 1.
Check the
batteries. If they are exhausted, replace.
Check the tail cap. The metal surfaces
contacting the barrel, tail cap and spring assembly should be shiny metal without
obstruction between them. Any corrosion formed by a foreign substance should be
carefully removed.
If all of the above steps have been followed and the flashlight
still does not perform properly, follow the steps in the How and When to Make a
Warranty Claim section, or see the Customer Service Section at www.maglite.com or
contact our Warranty/Repair facility: Tel: Outside CA (800) 283-5562, Inside CA (909)
947-1006, Fax: (909) 947-5041.
WARNINGS
: AVOID EYE INJURY - Do not stare directly into beam or shine it
directly into anyone's face. Doing so for more than a few seconds could cause
retinal damage.
Any battery may leak harmful chemicals which may damage skin,
clothing, or the inside of the flashlight. TO AVOID RISK OF INJURY, DO NOT LET ANY
MATERIAL LEAKED FROM A BATTERY COME IN CONTACT WITH EYES OR SKIN.
Any battery may rupture or explode if put in a fire or otherwise exposed to excessive
heat. TO AVOID RISK OF INJURY, DO NOT EXPOSE BATTERIES TO EXCESSIVE HEAT.
To reduce the risk of personal injury or harm to your flashlight, take the following
precautions: •
Use only alkaline batteries from a reputable manufacturer.
• Do not
use different brands of batteries in the same flashlight. • When replacing batteries,
always replace the whole set. •
Do not use rechargeable or reuseable alkaline
batteries.
• Do not try to recharge batteries that are not specifically designed to be
recharged. • Always install batteries with the "+" end facing the head end of the
flashlight and the "-" end facing the tailcap end of the flashlight.

Warning: batteries
must be inserted correctly. Failure to do so could cause permanent damage to
the LED module.

• Follow battery manufacturer's instructions as to proper handling,
storage and disposal of batteries. • Carefully follow the steps listed under INSPECTION
AND MAINTENANCE. •
Not recommended for use by children under fourteen
years of age.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tested them all before gifting them to ensure they turned on, with those Duracell cells. So they definitely worked. I will examine them one more time.
I suspect trying to figure out what is wrong is worth a little effort. Because you could get some more and hit the same problem. And chances are, it might be nothing to do with the lights at all.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just had no idea these minimags could be destroyed. I was under the impression they were bulletproof.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just had no idea these minimags could be destroyed. I was under the impression they were bulletproof.
I sort of get what you mean. But it's a little naive to think stuff can fail or be broken, especially in the hands of children.

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sort of get what you mean. But it's a little naive to think stuff can fail or be broken, especially in the hands of children.

Yup, children are like the ultimate test.

I had an ITP 1AA EOS once, stayed on my keys over two years, no hiccups with moderate use. Lent it to the GF who let her niece play with it, and it died in days

I also gave away two Minimag Pro+, one blue and one black, bought when they first came out.
Both still in use and appreciated by their owners.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't think the kid was that dumb but he picked the LEDs clean off. Grr. Not sure Maglite will do anything with it since it's not exactly their fault.

1pt21

Enlightened
I didn't think the kid was that dumb but he picked the LEDs clean off. Grr. Not sure Maglite will do anything with it since it's not exactly their fault.

Maybe he was just curious? I broke a LOT of stuff as a kid by taking it apart, now as an adult I fix a LOT of stuff by taking it apart ;)

My mom always jokes with me about how when the dryer broke many many years ago; I was very young at the time, but heard them fretting over the cost of replacing it. She later came down to the basement to find out what the banging noise was.... Only to find me with a hammer and a flat head screw driver (fixing) the dryer for them LOL!

Ironically I have to fix my dryer this weekend :thinking:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Maybe he was just curious? I broke a LOT of stuff as a kid by taking it apart, now as an adult I fix a LOT of stuff by taking it apart ;)

My mom always jokes with me about how when the dryer broke many many years ago; I was very young at the time, but heard them fretting over the cost of replacing it. She later came down to the basement to find out what the banging noise was.... Only to find me with a hammer and a flat head screw driver (fixing) the dryer for them LOL!

Ironically I have to fix my dryer this weekend :thinking:

I like this post.

Yup kids'll be kids.

One year at Christmas my pop said "take the brakes off this bike too and I'll never"...
No idea what never was because I was out the door taking off the brakes before he'd finished what he was saying...

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
They didn't take the head off and pick at the LED itself did they? Check close for dome damage.... I lent my nephew my 1st mini mag LED and the next day, no function... Upon closer inspection, he'd picked the dome, bond wires and most of the phosphor off.

I rest my case.

Latest posts