How often does your ARC4 turn on accidentally ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chiaroscuro

Enlightened
My 1st quality 4+ never has. I generally carry it clipped to my pants
pocket. generally in semi-tac mode. The switch in mine has a satisfyingly stiff action and an audible click.
Curious about frequency of accidental activations in others' units.

Radagast

Enlightened
I already mentioned this in a different thread but I'll say it again.

All the dang time!!!!!
Especially in the arc pouch. This morning at work I found it on in level 16. I have it set on semi-tac. How does it doule click then triple click?

Clipped to my pocket it's fine.

And the pouch. I got a bad one before that ripped to shreds. Peter was nice enough to replace it with a better one and he followed up and pinpointed the problem and handled things the way is reputed to. But now my new pouch is tearing too. It was fine with the lsl but the arc4 is too much for it.

If anyone knows of a good pouch I'm all ears.

Mark_van_Gorkom

Enlightened
Re: How often does your ARC4 turn on accidentally

Never so far. Won't even turn on if I drop it on the button from about 10" up. Carry it clipped to my belt or pocket.
My Streamlight Scorpion (with a recessed button) does turn on,
leading me to believe a stiff switch is more important than a tailguard.

It does fit in a Leatherman Squirt pouch.

flashboy

Newly Enlightened

so far , just once when I had it clipped in my jeans pocket

Skyline

Enlightened

I'm using the Ripoffs CO-137 holster for my Arc4+. It's a bit tight at first, but it's really a perfect fit. Note that bezel up fits best into this holster. I haven't had any accidental activations so far, but I do set it to level 16 just in case.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

http://store.yahoo.com/cinemasupplies/ricoflho.html

Radagast

Enlightened

Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Radagast said:
I already mentioned this in a different thread but I'll say it again.

All the dang time!!!!!
Especially in the arc pouch. This morning at work I found it on in level 16. I have it set on semi-tac. How does it doule click then triple click?

Clipped to my pocket it's fine.

And the pouch. I got a bad one before that ripped to shreds. Peter was nice enough to replace it with a better one and he followed up and pinpointed the problem and handled things the way is reputed to. But now my new pouch is tearing too. It was fine with the lsl but the arc4 is too much for it.

If anyone knows of a good pouch I'm all ears.

[/ QUOTE ]

My Arc4 has been riding in the OEM Arc pouch from day-1 and has never activated by itself.

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast

Mine is pretty stiff so I haven't had a problem. I carry mine in homemade tactical nylon pouch.

TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just once in the Arc pouch-- and luckily onto the lowest level. I just think it's a pain to always have to set it to the locked mode...

-Jason

Krahl

Newly Enlightened

I think this is the third thread already concerning the switch lock.
The switch lock in the options menu does need too many clicks to activate. I think everyone will agree with me in this point.
Using semi tactical mode is OK but it is not absolute safe, which could cause a low battery when I maybe need it the most. Especially wearing it upside down in my pocket.
Unscrewing the head is safe, but that`s not very elegant.
Therefore I plead again like Sean did, for an additional point in the options menu:
triple click = level 16
or
triple click = locked out

EmissionLine

Newly Enlightened

This may have been suggested already, but...

I'd be happy if the menu activation sequence was reduced to 5 clicks, or so, and the menu options reordered to put the most common first. For example:

5 clicks, then:

Lock
tac 1
force primary
find me (locator flash)
tac 2
ready for service
SOS

(My preferences, of course)

Then you'd only be 5 clicks and a hold away from locking, instead of 10 clicks + 1 click + hold.

Edit: After thinking about this, I had another idea. This may have already been suggested too, sorry if so.

We all know changing the interface is difficult / impossible. But as a rule, changing the constants (hard coded numbers) should just involve a recompile / reassemble.

Wouldn't it be cool if we could select custom values for certain constants when ordering the arc 4+? Say... the number of clicks required to access a menu, the ordering of menu options, the locator flash level, menu option level (ever try changing a setting after your eyes are dark adapted? Ouch.) etc. No real code changes, just changing numbers (constants).

Yeah, I know there are several reasons Arc wouldn't want to do this. I'm just dreaming out loud again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Krahl

Newly Enlightened

In my opinion, 5 clicks are still too many.

I want to: pull-unlock-fire-lock-pocket as fast as possible.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Krahl said:
I think this is the third thread already concerning the switch lock.
The switch lock in the options menu does need too many clicks to activate. I think everyone will agree with me in this point.
Using semi tactical mode is OK but it is not absolute safe, which could cause a low battery when I maybe need it the most. Especially wearing it upside down in my pocket.
Unscrewing the head is safe, but that`s not very elegant.
Therefore I plead again like Sean did, for an additional point in the options menu:
triple click = level 16
or
triple click = locked out

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to say I agree. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

EmissionLine

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Krahl said:
In my opinion, 5 clicks are still too many.

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe. And without seeing the code, I don't know for sure... but changing '10' to '5' is probably easier than adding a new mode and menu option support for toggling the state of that mode.

I've been playing with my light, simulating the 5 click + hold. It's not bad. For some reason, I can get 5 clicks out consistently but 10 clicks means I still screw up (stutter / hesitate) every now and then.

If you really need "fast as possible", then you're probably going to have to go mechanical. Flip up switch guard, or somesuch.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Mine has never accidentally turned on. Of course, my switch feels pretty stiff--maybe too stiff as the light keeps slipping through my hands as I push to turn it on. Dang sweaty hands /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CM

mporter

Newly Enlightened

What about 4 clicks for lockout and 3 clicks release lockout same as now? As long as there is room for the extra code, this should be just be a simple software upgrade for the Arc4.

My Arc4 does come on unbidden much more than previous Arcs. I have it now in semi-tactical mode which helps, but I would prefer an easier, quicker way to do full lockout.

Please.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

In my opinion, for normal day-to-day carry, lock-out should not be needed. If it is, then something is wrong. I've been carrying my Arc4 for day-1 in the Arc pouch and have not had one single incident of the light coming on. I know I'm in the minority as being a belt-pouch user, however I've always found that method the best. It keeps my pockets less cluttered, protects the light a bit and makes it readily accessible when I need to deploy it. I work in a professional environment and other than the folks who find the needs to bust my balls about carrying a light to begin with, I have no issues. I've met with CIO's for Fortune 500 companies with my trusty pouch mounted on my belt and it never gets a second look.

Anyway, the point is, if your light is being activated that easily when not desired, I think there's a problem. I don't care if it was a simple 3 or 4 clicks to activate lock-out, I wouldn't want to go thru the trouble.

Prolepsis

Enlightened

T_I_N:

I carry mine in the ARC pounch as well, and it hasn't turned on either.

Likebright

Enlightened

Mine has come on about 4 times. I carry it clipped in the inside of my front pocket of my jeans and slacks. Maybe why it comes on from time to time. Pouch carry is easyer on the light.
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.