New Nichia LED`s a threat to the LS?

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, the link does not work...their calling them the Jupiter series. Maybe someone sharper than I can post a link...I did a search for "nichia led" and found it right away.

Ok, here www.nichia.com ...go to SMD LED`s and click.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Too bad...no specs. I wonder what they're up to, though. It looks like the whole series involves varying the height of the dome - possibly for different angular distributions.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

AilSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Didn't someone post a beamshot comparing a nich 2w to a luxeon 1w? Was it McGizmo? I couldn't find that link again.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
all the other high flux leds are still way behind lumileds /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

php_44

Enlightened
I have some warm white samples - and I wouldn't mention them in the same sentence as the Luxeon High Domes.

Nichia is nearly a year late with production on these and I'm guessing it's because they are so inferior that they don't want to put them out there against the Luxeon high domes.

My samples emit light over an 80 degree angle. Looking at the beam it's got a distinct blue spot in the middle that changes to white, then a light yellow, followed by a deep buttery gold, and finally distinctly orange at the edge. They are basically back in the dark ages of glopping a big uneven mound of phosphor over their nice blue LEDs and hoping for the best. I'm sure their regular whites have a similarly polluted beam appearance. Don't get me wrong - I use Nichia 5mm's extensively and like them a lot. Nichia just has a lot to learn about high power LEDs.

A recent presentation Lumileds made at a LED lighting seminar mentioned Nichia and Lumileds were sharing technology. Nichia could benefit from Lumileds' phosphor coating technology, and Lumileds might benefit from Nichias expertise in light extraction from the LED die.

We'll see what happens.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

EDIT - Rereading this it sounds pretty negative. I have nothing against Nichia, but was surprized at just how bad the light emission was from the samples I received. Having a lot of experience with their fine 5mm whites - it was just a big letdown compared to Luxeon high domes.