MR-X questions

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Since I missed out on the MR-X I went out to build my own but I need a couple questions answered.

I have the convertor board and a X4T. I know the MR-Xs used X3Ts but a X4T is close enough! How much current were the MR-Xs set at? How much current is unsafe for the X4T? I am a little concerned about the life of the X4T so I don't want to drive it too hard.

Also to take current measurements you must be inline with the circuit. What would be the easiest method if changing current settings in the future? Maybe put a connector on one of the leads going to the emitter?

TIA for anyone who can help.

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Darkzero... you have the convertor board? From? X4Ts will be fine. Generally, the tint will be slightly bluer, given the 4 tint. Current-wise, the MR-X TKs were set at 1.5A. That seems to be pretty much the limit when comparing current vs light output. There is a post on how to measure the current going to the emitter. Do a search for the word 'instructions' after you have loaded ALL the posts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Hotbeam, yes I have an unused Magic Resistor which I'm sticking in one of your beautiful Hotlips that I got from......uh am I gonna get this person in trouble if I say? Am I not supposed to have the MR by itself? Just making sure before saying so.

f9befdaf.jpg

Thanks HT, I will do a search on what you said.

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
DZ... I just meant that it didn't come from me. Perhaps you got it from B/S/T or someone who made one from the circuit diagram in the post. Never mind. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Go for it! Let us know how you went.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
HT, oh sorry for the misunderstanding. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

I think this one at one point did come from you maybe. I got it from Phaserburn.

One more question and I remember this has been asked before but I intended to run this on 4x123. Is the extra 123 really just wasted energy or more heat? It won't add to overall runtime? I have a battery holder that is a bit longer than a D size battery that holds 4x123. Or am I better off using a 3x123 and a dummy 123?

I'll definitely share whenever I'm done with this one. I'm still looking for someone with a lathe to shorten my Mag!

Thanks again!

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah... that's right. Burnmeister it was /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I wouldn't run it off 4 x 123s. That 4th 123 would simply add to the heat. 3 x 123s would be the maximum I'd go. Runtime would be about ~30 mins on 3 x 123. Yeah, use the dummy 123.

You could also use 2 x Pila 168S from jsburlys.com!