Do you have lights that youve thought about getting rid of?

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are lots of threads about "favorite lights", and lots of threads asking which lights you've collected, but then there are those lights that, for several possible reasons, you have considered getting rid of. It doesn't have to be because you don't like them. It could be because you don't use them, or because they are now slightly outdated, or you simply think about donating one or more to friends, family members or neighbors who seem to be in need of a decent light.

I've sold a few lights and given away even more to family, friends, clients etc. But this thread is about lights that we currently own, but have considered getting rid of.

I recently unboxed several of my lights to check their rechargeable batteries. Most had not been unboxed for more than a matter of a few hours since I first bought them. I realized I've got at least 3 lights I'd consider selling or trading. They are Eagletac D25C Ti clicky, Fenix TK41 U2, Sunwayman T20CS.

Not 1 of those lights have more than 1-2 hours of total run time, if that much. They've spent 99% of the time I've owned them in their boxes. I just don't use them, and I already have other lights of similar size, specs and type, and there are a few different form factor lights that would be of more use to me now(like the Thrunite TN4a, Nitecore EC11, Manker e14 types).

Do you now have lights that you consider NOT keeping around long?

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a few. You know how it goes. Bought a Nitecore EA4, then later an EA41, so EA4 can go if I ever get around to it. Same thing with the big lights. Bought a TM11, then an EA8, so TM11 can go. Then bought a TM16, so EA8 can go as well. Then bought a TM16GT, so goodbye TM11. One of these days (Real Soon Now, as a favorite author used to say), I will box them all up and send to Ebay. Just debating whether to list myself or use an Ebay Valet, with the corresponding fee.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Nope. Not a single one.

The way I see it... if it aint good enough for me it aint something I want to give to somebody else.

Instead I buy ones I like to give away. Ones that the average user would like such as maglites and Coast products I used to use a lot.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think of this often. Strange thing is, I keep planning to sell off about 20 or so that get little use for one reason or another. But, just as I think about doing it, I end up using one of them for a while and remembering why I got it in the first place. I do that often. I keep saying, one day. I need to let a few go.
Sometimes I notice I keep them for:
just in case, may want to mod it later
may be collectable some day
someone may post a WTB and really have been looking for one and I can help them out (except I never check the WTB section)
just not not worth shipping unless I sell a lot
the list goes on.

wolfgaze

Enlightened
I gave away an Olight S1 recently along with my RCR123 batteries...

Next time I see my family I plan to give my (2) Fenix E12's to my nephews...

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got about 12 less lights than I had this time last week. Sold them here on CPF (no fees for supporter, has to be way cheaper than Ebay). 5 of them hadn't even been out of the box. If I'm not using it - I sell it. Except for my P60 hosts...

I've got some of the Astrolux AA A01 (colored ano) to give away. And a few other Astrolux items that go to coworkers.

KBobAries

Enlightened
Absolutely yes!! I'm going through a purge process in general; guns, knives, pens, & lights. It's pshycologically tough for me because once I get a hold of something it's usually a prisoner for life. I own items I've never used. Get into a hobby for a while, buy one of everything, and end up feeling owned by large amounts of stuff. I'm really trying to pare things down to just a few nice items and not feel like such a hoarder. Yes, 2 is 1 and 1 is none but do I need 50+ pens? 20+ flashlights? 30+ knives? Yuck...

With regard to lights specifically, I've given some away, traded 1, just sold one on eBay and will be listing more. They. Have. To. Go. Not for the money but for my emotional health.

Dan

Light Bringer

Newly Enlightened
A few. :)

Rather nice River Rock (Target house-brand) 2-C light with an XR-E and OP reflector. Only light I have which inconveniently needs C cells, and 26650s are just a hair too fat to fit.

Maglite 3-AA, beautiful gunmetal gray, but kinda long to carry. (Gonna Match-mod my 2-AA Mags, maybe work up the nerve to mod my 2-D.)

'501 hosts with drop-ins that came with (can't stand blinky modes), or complete replacement drop-ins I bought (no idea what's in them). Have taken to rolling my own drop-ins with nanjg 105Cs or generic 1-mode drivers, and my choice of emitters, so I've gotten picky.

On the other hand...

Keeping my '502s. Accidentally bumped the switch when sitting down (belt holster), and even only at ~1A current, it got almost too hot to hold. Was impressed that the '502 host could wick away that much heat. :D I'd hate to see how hot it'd get with a 2.8A driver cooking for that long!

Love my 47s Quark (2-AA) but dislike the green-tint. Not so bad that I'd get rid of it, though.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Absolutely yes!! I'm going through a purge process in general; guns, knives, pens, & lights. It's pshycologically tough for me because once I get a hold of something it's usually a prisoner for life. I own items I've never used. Get into a hobby for a while, buy one of everything, and end up feeling owned by large amounts of stuff. I'm really trying to pare things down to just a few nice items and not feel like such a hoarder. Yes, 2 is 1 and 1 is none but do I need 50+ pens? 20+ flashlights? 30+ knives? Yuck...

With regard to lights specifically, I've given some away, traded 1, just sold one on eBay and will be listing more. They. Have. To. Go. Not for the money but for my emotional health.

Dan

Yeah that basically describes my situation. I finally realized that I pretty much never use any of my single 18650 lights, even though I have several, and I'd say the same is true for my 6x to 8x AA lights as well. Oddly though, of my multiple AA lights, I actually prefer the older, cheaper one(iTp A6 - $59) than my Fenix TK41 mk2, which cost almost double. As far as my Eagletac D25C Ti, I bought it just before I realized I prefer a side switch edc light, so it doesn't get used(plus I hear Ti tends to get micro scratches).

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think of this often. Strange thing is, I keep planning to sell off about 20 or so that get little use for one reason or another. But, just as I think about doing it, I end up using one of them for a while and remembering why I got it in the first place. I do that often. I keep saying, one day. I need to let a few go.
Sometimes I notice I keep them for:
just in case, may want to mod it later
may be collectable some day
someone may post a WTB and really have been looking for one and I can help them out (except I never check the WTB section)
just not not worth shipping unless I sell a lot
the list goes on.

Me too! I've been debating getting rid of a few of these lights for over a year, but I just haven't done it. I've given away a lot of lights from Thrunite Ti's(3 of), to Jetbeam BC-10's(3 of), to Jetbeam Pa10 and a PC10, an Olight IOS3, and a FourSevens Preon2. Obviously giving them all away after buying them doesn't help me financially, so it would be nice to get some sort of return on investment!

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I probably only have in my possession, 20% of what I have actually purchased. I don't sit on anything for long that I don't like. That is the hobby part of it (and economic) for me.........constantly curious about the new stuff...........but then if it doesn't impress me, then it gets sold.

I'm starting to slow down as more and more I'm not getting impressed. The market seems saturated. Now it seems they are turning a flashlight into something with too many bells and whistles. The gadgetry aspect of them isn't appealing to me. I see 2016 as a year that I purchase a lot less than in previous years.

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep getting tempted to sell my Liteflux LF2XT purely because of the selling prices. Just can't bring myself to do it though.

I often give away my 'dated' lights to friends and family. That's the way all my Q3's and P1D's and such went.

Dan

You seem to be a brother from another mother! :laughing: That's right where I am. I was a collector/hoarder to begin with when my dad died and his toys passed to me. I probably have 300 knives including at least 50 customs. Too much gun stuff, too much camping & survival gear, too many lights, etc .

I do have a few lights I really should get rid of. The top one is probably my Malkoff MDC 3-mode head. I really dislike multiple levels that switch by cycling through them so I never should have bought it in the first place.

For some time now, I've been thinking of passing-on this orange, ceramic coated, 6P, purchased from the fine folks at Oveready. It's a one owner light that I've just been unable to carry. Up until now, I've had no reason to part with it. However, July and August were spent pursuing some no longer in production titanium lights from 4Sevens & FourSevens. Nine titanium lights and a rainbow of nine Preons and a Bolt-Acton and a couple of N.L.I.P Maelstroms ....... well, :eek: I think it's time to sell the 6P.

~ Chance

r7NH62a.jpg

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife and son frequently ask what possible use 200+ lights could be to one person. Other than a collection of a few knives, and a few Multi tools, flashlights are my only current hobby. They are way cheaper than guns, cars and guitars(a few of my passions currently on hold).
I really like having exactly the right light for the right circumstance. Some would argue that having a Nitecore EC4, EC4S, EC4SW and EC4GT limited edition is excessive...I merely see it as an opportunity to take three more friends on a search and rescue mission. Now if I had both red and blue limited editions AND the EC45S, that would be excessive....
Besides, in my Surefire Collection I only have 12 Executive Elite series lights, which when you consider all the iterations and generations seems quite reasonable. And how can my S1 collection be considered excessive, I only have one of each model...all
8 of them....I'm with Bykfixer....if they are not good enough for me they are not good enough for anyone else....so no, I don't think about getting rid of them....others think of me getting rid of them but I don't ....

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife and son frequently ask what possible use 200+ lights could be to one person.

The other day I told my wife I hit 20 new lights this year and would be stopping for a while.

Within 48 hours I ordered another.
Her reaction was something to the effect of "There are more expensive hobbies. This isn't that bad." I suppose about 3 summers ago when I started buying multiple used jet skis scared her!

ronniepudding

Enlightened
I certainly have way more lights than I need, but I have trouble parting with them because they're all interesting or fun to use in one way or another. My first 'real' light was a Fenix E21 XP-E, which is really outdated for starters, it's throwier than I like, the low mode isn't dim enough for my taste, and the high mode isn't all that impressive. Nevertheless, the forward clicky, the simple UI, and the nice build quality are appealing. I should just give it away to a friend, but for some reason I have trouble parting with it. Sentimental perhaps?It's doing car duty now, and it hardly ever gets used.

Olight T25 is another one that I don't use much, but I still find it appealing. Again, the forward clicky is what keeps me hanging on to it.... Neither the E21 or the T25 are worth much. Both old lights, probably couldn't sell them for much, but they are still functional, so they stick around.