Advice for a newbie with a Surefire E1 Executive

Taxman

Newly Enlightened
This is the model with the pocket clip attached to the head, not the body.

What are my options for this light, on a spectrum from basic to advanced? I've seen the Malkoff drop in, but would one of those single LED's from Tana work, and would that require additional mods?

Advice I've already gotten from this site led me to Malkoff and that 6P drop in which is fantastic. I've had that 6P light in the incandescent form for 15 years. It's been sitting in a drawer for 10 years, now I use it every day.

i found this, but I can't just drop this in my old light, can I? http://www.lumensfactory.com/online_shop_product.php?id=336&cid=5&sid=11&page=1

Last edited:

Taxman

Newly Enlightened
Apparently this model is decades old and has a less-than-optimum connection where the led would met with the dome, anyway I'll figure it out. I guess I stumped the audience...

m4a1usr

Enlightened
Well glad to see you hooked on Surefires! Just kidd'n ya. Welcome to CPF! The LF you linked will work fine in your teardrop E1. Not a thing wrong with one of the LF led conversions. Mark doesn't sell garbage. However if you want a focused incan type beam I think you might be a bit surprised regarding the beam projected. LED conversions are optimized for the shape and design for incan reflectors but there can (and in this case) be subtle and not so subtle changes in the profile. Doesn't mean you wont be impressed. Just don't expect the same of what you currently have. There is a bi-pin incan bulb adaptor from Tad's that can give you much better incan performance AND give you the same or even better beam profile. But the cost is run time. Maybe do a little more research?

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would definitely say to check out Tad's custom bi-pin. There are a few bulb options that would allow you to use either a CR123 or a 16340 LiIon cell.

Also - the older light you have - does it have the Z52 tailcap? The one with the push momentary / twist on - no clicky? If so you should look into putting a McClicky in there - great upgrade for that tailcap. There are some older threads which describe the process.

archimedes

Flashaholic
If this is one of the collectible vintage "teardrop" versions, personally, I like to keep those in fairly stock form ....

There are a number of reversible (non-destructive) modifications available but, as others have mentioned, are largely limited to various dropin (incandescent) lamps or (LED) "towers"

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really love my singled dropin from Tana. I do go back to incan when I'm feeling nostalgic...

d98722687958637daf44c7291eca8e85.jpg

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I spoke with Taxman briefly via PM about this. I had looked at the ones I have, and my thought was that the lumens factory dropin would not work. The teardrop head has a flat and then then the hole for the bulb, whereas the elite head has that same hold on a post. My suggestion was to contact Lumens Factory directly, they would certainly know. I've never had any problems with the LF items I've purchased over the years.

Here's the elite head - pre boring out for a triple. You can see the recess around the bulb hole.
20140922_143335.jpg

Post lathe work
20141006_131644.jpg

I don't have an inside photo of my teardrop head, but can snap one tonight for the benefit of the thread.

Latest posts