Does a coal mine count?

scout24

Flashaholic
So, one of the places we've wanted to see since our move to Pennsylvania got checked off the list this weekend. The town of Ashland (Near Centralia, which still has a huge area of the underground burning... went there too, very cool.) has coal mine tours, so off we went. You go into the side of the mountain via an 8x8 foot opening, 1800 feet in, 400 feet below the surface to see how things were done back in the good old days. If you're claustrophobic, this tour is not for you. I'm glad to be here and now, thank you very much... Since this was "Caving", in a nod to Henry's caving interest, I took my HDS Rotary high cri, the light that gets you home. :grin2:

20160821_135713.jpg

Tour guide was using a Xerebrus Flare XM-1 lamp. Cool white, throwy, but intrinsically safe. Li-Ion rechargeable, and Mine Certified
20160821_140557.jpg

Poor quality cell pic, lit with the HDS.
20160821_135558.jpg

Going_Supernova

Enlightened
Way cool! Did the mine operators inspect your light to see if it was intrinsically safe before allowing it in? I would think that since gas is likely a possibility that they would have to be very careful about what lights were allowed in the mine.

scout24

Flashaholic
Nope. The ventilation system negates the possibility of methane or other gas buildup these days. He knew I was using it for photos, and lighting up passeges off to the sides, and vertical shafts, to see better. Didn't say a word. I think the requirement is just for workers/employees these days. :)

nbp

Flashaholic
Very cool! We went in a retired copper mine in the Upper Peninsula a couple years ago while camping in the Porcupine Mts. and it was pretty cool. I don't know when your mine was built, but man, miners in the old days had it ROUGH.