Surefire G2x: Pro vs LE. If you could only pick one?

buddy0329

Newly Enlightened
Hi folks, newbie here.

We've had a 6PX at home for 3 years now as a primary flashlight that's backed up by a 5 year old Maglite 4-D LED. I originally bought the 6PX so I could light up the night if necessary when walking the dog. Love the dual 15/320 lumen modes. I'm definitely not interested in more modes in my lights.

Currently building out a new bag to keep with me at work or in the car. I ordered two new lights, a G2x Pro as a primary, and a Titan plus as a backup. I chose the the Titan Plus because it runs on AAAs; i wear a medical device that runs on AAAs hence I always have a couple of those spares on me.

After ordering the G2x Pro I discovered that Surefire also sells an LE model that has a different emitter with more spill, and comes on in full power on the first click instead of the second click.

I'm trying to figure out if the LE model would be a better light to keep with me in the car vs the Pro. Any help form the community on this one would be much appreciated!

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
pro is spaced exactly right and in the right sequence IMO.

99% of the time the 15 lumen mode is sufficient and you get 300+ lumens when you need it.

Dr. Strangelove

Enlightened
Which do you use more, 15 or 320? If you use 15 more, say 90% of the time, then the Pro would suit you better. If you use 320 most of the time, then try the LE. Also think if you need immediate access to high or if it's ok to click through low first. If you don't need immediate access, you won't be blinded by the high burst before you switch to low if you buy a Pro.

Last edited:

buddy0329

Newly Enlightened
I think you're right about the sequencing as I use it now, but would that necessarily be the case in a SHTF situation? Was also curious about the broader beam and whether the lumen increase would help to keep the throw decent as it is now.

I have not seen many write ups or even decent comparisons between the two.

kj2

Flashaholic
I prefer the LE. Personally like the high start and then back down to low. Of course, it depends on the situation.

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a quite new LE and like the high first feature.
Throws less than the 320 lumen model, 4,800cd VS 8,000cd but the hotspot is big and useful, it also makes the 15 lumen low more useful for close quarters too.

buddy0329

Newly Enlightened
RobertMM,

Any chance you can get some comparison pictures up on the forum?

matt4350

Enlightened
I've got the LE, I like it because it comes on in high all the time (which is what I need for a work light) and it lights up everything in a quite large area very well to a good 40 yards or so. The low setting is even enough to light my way if I go for a run at night. The Pro looks like a great light though. I saw some comparison pics (sorry, forget where they are, may even be on this site) which showed the Pro throwing quite well in comparison but illuminating a significantly more narrow area. Best if you get both, that's what I'm going to do....

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
RobertMM,

Any chance you can get some comparison pictures up on the forum?

I don't have the 320 lumen Pro, I only compared my LE to a buddy's light.
320 does throw farther but LE hotspot is larger.
On the very long 6PX G2X thread there is a comparison beamshot pic, post number 1354.

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
am a high/low guy... but for the G2X, the 15lmn first is awesome.

That's why I'm thinking of getting a yellow or orange Pro to complement my LE.

Black for high-first use, yellow(or orange) for low-first general purpose use, both easily identifiable at a glance.

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's why I'm thinking of getting a yellow or orange Pro to complement my LE.

Black for high-first use, yellow(or orange) for low-first general purpose use, both easily identifiable at a glance.
while you are at it, pick up the olive drab haha.

JPA261

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like using the LE model cause I like that instant access to high mode. However, like everyone said, depends on what you use more.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I bought G2x lights for general purpose around the house lights with the option to have the higher output. So starting on low was what sold me with the "Pro" model.

Thus far the only time they've been switched to high was for recreation.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I am going to switch from G2x Pro to 6Px Pro. the specs are the same except that the latter uses a metal body. this is important because I use lites in the twisty way and I think metal-on-metal twists a little better than plastic-on-plastic. G2x Pro, it can still be done but requires constant lubrication.

And with the clicky, I have dropped it and it has clicked itself on once. So I don't trust clicky at all.

As penalty, you pay almost an ounce heavier device with 6Px Pro vs G2x Pro.

FPSRelic

Enlightened
I would go the pro version, but I'm going to be a bit of a pest and suggest that I prefer the G2X fire rescue pro. I find the 50 lumen low mode to be perfect for most regular indoor/outdoor use, and only ever use the high mode for more reach. I liken it to the 15 lumen low mode on my LX2. Sadly it, and the LX2 are discontinued now :(

buddy0329

Newly Enlightened
I did end up going with the G2X Pro. I was surprised to see the light output to be noticeably whiter / colder and less yellow/green. The G2x body will be perfect for keeping in the car where temps are constantly fluctuating.

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would go the pro version, but I'm going to be a bit of a pest and suggest that I prefer the G2X fire rescue pro. I find the 50 lumen low mode to be perfect for most regular indoor/outdoor use, and only ever use the high mode for more reach. I liken it to the 15 lumen low mode on my LX2. Sadly it, and the LX2 are discontinued now :(

I secretly wish for a LE with 400 high and 50 lumen low.

mrdice

Newly Enlightened
Im finding the G2X pro for a lower price than the LE. About $28 less with prime.