New Fenix TK16

shipwreck

Enlightened
Yesterday, I bought a new flashlight - a Fenix TK16. This is my first Fenix light, despite probably owning close to 40 LED lights over the years...

I decided to sell my Streamlight TRL1 that I had mounted on a rifle, and go back to a traditional shaped flashlight for my PS90... I'd rather have something with longer battery life, and that can use 18650 rechargables instead of primary cells.

I did a lot of reading here on the forum to decide what I wanted - I considered going with an Eagletac T200C2... But, in the end, I decided to go with a Fenix TK16. I picked one up yesterday at Academy.

It is sweet. I like that the medium setting can last 10 hours - and it is more than bright enough on the medium setting for inside of my house. The high setting lasts almost 3.5 hours, and it is much brighter than the TRL1 output. And, the Turbo lasts 1 hr and 10 min. The Turbo is damn, damn bright - about 1000 lumens.

For its purpose (on a home defense carbine), I don't ever see going more than a medium or high setting, unless I go outside at night with it. I plan to leave it on the medium setting by default.

However, before I mounted it to my carbine, I took it outside to compare to some other lights... The Fenix has more throw than my daily carry flashlight - the Nightcore SRT6. And, the strobe on the Fenix comes on at the full 1000 lumens. It almost makes me sick looking at it. :p It is brighter than the strobe on my Nightcore, and even easier to activate. I'd have to have that turned on in my face.

I've been carrying my Nightcore for 2 years now. But, I may end up getting another Fenix TK16 later on as a new daily carry light. Because of my job (probation officer), I use a flash light daily. And, I am always looking for something equivalent to a pocket sun. This Fenix is a little smaller than the Nightcore too. And, with the way the strobe feature is activated, I think it makes for a better carry light than my Nightcore.

ktsl

Newly Enlightened
Out of curiosity, since you are an officer, do you find the strobe mode useful or effective for real?

shipwreck

Enlightened
Out of curiosity, since you are an officer, do you find the strobe mode useful or effective for real?

I gotta be honest - I've never used strobe before (for that purpose). I've looked at some of my own lights, and strobe did zero to me, holding the light at myself. So, I haven't really put much stock in the strobe effect on most lights

I will say that this TK16 is the first strobe feature that impresses me. I've owned various eagletacs, the two Nightcores I still have, several TRL1 weapon lights, and many other flashlights with strobe function. This Fenix looks like it might actually do something if you shine it in someone's face directly. It actually bugs me just looking at it when I point it on the wall or floor in front of me. I'm not even gonna shine it at myself directly like i've done with other lights in the past.

Before mounting it on the weapon, I played with it last night. I really like how the strobe is activated instantly with that 2nd button on the rear tailcap.

In fact, I like this Fenix TK16 light so much - that I just went and bought a second one this evening. It will be my new every day carry in place of my SRT6 Nightcore (the strobe on the Nightcore doesn't do anything to me when I shine it on myself). So, now I have one on the weapon, and one to carry :)

Last edited:

ktsl

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the honest reply! I've always wanted to ask an officer this question. Strobe hasn't make much sense to me since day one. I am suprised of its popularity. Yeah I am annoyed when I shine it at myself. But to use it for self defense? Aren't you looking for touble annoying the other guy? It's not like it would immobilize anybody.
Anyway, enjoy the TK16! Remember to wear sunglasses. J.

shipwreck

Enlightened
No problem. Some lights seem to do strobe better than others. But yea, I've never put much stock in the strobe for it's intended use. I never would even think about using it for that, personally. Now, I might consider it with this new Fenix.

Thanks!

digital9ja

Newly Enlightened
I just returned a TK16 to amazon after 2 weeks. I took it out of my pocket in the shop, slipped out of my hand and hit the floor from about 30". Piece of junk started constantly malfunctioned after that. I kind of liked the light but I can't accept something of such shoddy workmanship.

Latest posts