Thrunite TN42

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sometimes read that the LED revolution has slowed down in recent years. The biggest gains, so the argument goes, were had early on. Flashlights such as the ThruNiteTN42 and the Acebeam K70 make it easy to disagree.

Heck, the neutral-white Convoy L6 I have is a well-built flashlight that pumps out 3200 lumens, and it can be had for only about $50 USD. That's revolutionary!

Capolini

Banned
That is impressive for a STOCK light If those are accurate numbers[especially cd's] :eek: Not far behind my TK61vn V4 which is ~1800 lumens and ~770Kcd!:twothumbs

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
An even bigger head so more throw; I don't see what all the buzz is about.
Aside from the use of domeless emitters, increase in throw has been achieved by brute force: more lumens and bigger heads.
We already know that can be done and practicality is the limit down that path.

Last edited:

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
@ keeping it light

​How far does that convoy throw??? Never saw any numbers on it.my guess is 100/150Kcd.

Nah, not that far. It's more of a flood-monster, albeit, a small one by the standards being set recently. Runs on 2x26650.

In his video review of the neutral-white version, MHanlen reports only 3,278 lumens, 70,011 candela and 529 meters. The cool-white version should do better. It is rated for a nominal 3800 lumens.

Magio

Enlightened
I got a Maxabeam so I probably wont be buying it, on top of the fact I just bought the TN40, but it is amazing how quickly LED is closing the gap with HID. This light outhrows most HID flashlights that I know of and has close to the same number of lumens. Itll probably be just a short while and we will see LED lights with 3000 lumens and this lux.

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
i agree with the statements being made comparing these new LED lights to HIDs. vinh has allready gotten the TN40 to basically match the throw and output of a 40 watt polarion.

Chaitanya

Banned
Interesting to see this new light from Thrunite, 1500mt throw is insane. I personally would have liked to see it come with user replaceable batteries but else this light looks similar to TN40.

Underdriven

Newly Enlightened
Interesting to see this new light from Thrunite, 1500mt throw is insane. I personally would have liked to see it come with user replaceable batteries but else this light looks similar to TN40.

On the Thrunite website the TN42 has user replaceable batteries ie. supply your own and the TN42C has the built in battery and supplied charger like the TN40. ( Yes your right they should have a "C" after the TN40)

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just saw this today, I'm definitely looking forward to a review. It's good to see more companies making dedicated throwers and using domeless emitters.

RemcoM

Enlightened
WOW! That must be a real monster thrower.

A must have for me.

But i don't like, the strobe, is NOT at full power 2000 lumens, but only at 680 lumens.

swan

Banned
Very nice, this is what i have been waiting for. My tn32 has served me well and still is very impressive at 200kcd but this is in a different league.

A stock light that has 2000 lumens, 600kcd that i can use my 18650,s in and cost $200. Good to see manufacturers use the new cree xhp35 to its potential and the performance matchs or exceeds much more expensive and overdriven xml based lights that are less efficient and run too hot.

Sure am glad i did not order the acebeam k70 in haste.

Capolini

Banned
For the TN42,I wonder what the step down on turbo is? I guess I will have to wait for a review from SB or others. Basing on the other TN lights I had I am guessing it will manage heat pretty well. I forget what my TN32 was,,,,,I was able to step it back up again w/ no problem w/ heat not being an issue for the duration of the battery charge. Only exception would be very warm summer evenings,like this summer!

swan

Banned
For the TN42,I wonder what the step down on turbo is? I guess I will have to wait for a review from SB or others. Basing on the other TN lights I had I am guessing it will manage heat pretty well. I forget what my TN32 was,,,,,I was able to step it back up again w/ no problem w/ heat not being an issue for the duration of the battery charge. Only exception would be very warm summer evenings,like this summer!

Yes i hope someone can report the regulation and stepdown on the highest mode.
As you point out the original handles heat very well with its physical mass and held a pretty flat regulation after the 10% stepdown and would expect Thrunite to carry over the same behaviour.

The TN 42 with the xhp35 hi at 2000 lumens, larger surface area, should use less overall wattage [compared to the tn 32 at 6 amps] and in turn be more efficient, cooler running light with massive candella.

Lets say it steps down up to 15% from start, then it will still throw 510kcd and have 1700 lumens = very impressive.

Capolini i still remember you reporting your impressions on you newest lights, running them on full bore for one hour, which was un biased real world usage and a valuable gauge on reliability for me. Even though you had a hiccup with your first tn generally the whole tn series has been super reliable. [mine perfect]

The new ui in single button form appeals also, as i do not need two hands or swap grip to turn it on/off or change modes. Looks good Thrunite, keep them coming.

Capolini

Banned
Yes i hope someone can report the regulation and stepdown on the highest mode.
As you point out the original handles heat very well with its physical mass and held a pretty flat regulation after the 10% stepdown and would expect Thrunite to carry over the same behaviour.

The TN 42 with the xhp35 hi at 2000 lumens, larger surface area, should use less overall wattage [compared to the tn 32 at 6 amps] and in turn be more efficient, cooler running light with massive candella.

Lets say it steps down up to 15% from start, then it will still throw 510kcd and have 1700 lumens = very impressive.

Capolini i still remember you reporting your impressions on you newest lights, running them on full bore for one hour, which was un biased real world usage and a valuable gauge on reliability for me. Even though you had a hiccup with your first tn generally the whole tn series has been super reliable. [mine perfect]

The new ui in single button form appeals also, as i do not need two hands or swap grip to turn it on/off or change modes. Looks good Thrunite, keep them coming.

Yes,,,you have a good memory! For the most part I run ALL my lights on turbo until heat is a factor or step down. Most of my lights are modded by Vinh,,,,CAPO my Siberian demands the highest output so he can see his prey from 500 yards away! :twothumbs

Theodore41

Enlightened
Very nice, this is what i have been waiting for. My tn32 has served me well and still is very impressive at 200kcd but this is in a different league.

A stock light that has 2000 lumens, 600kcd that i can use my 18650,s in and cost $200. Good to see manufacturers use the new cree xhp35 to its potential and the performance matchs or exceeds much more expensive and overdriven xml based lights that are less efficient and run too hot.

Sure am glad i did not order the acebeam k70 in haste.

I have a K70,but I bought it at a very sensible price.:)
If there is a review and comparison,between K70 and the Thrunite TN42,and if I understand that the latter is way better,I would buy the 42.

Last edited:

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
How does the overall quality of the bigger Thrunite lights compare to the Fenix TK75 or Acebeam K60/K70?