Ad blockers!

parametrek

Enlightened
Today I tried showing off my new banner ad to a friend. We went to a couple of CPF pages... and nothing. Hit F5 a few times, no banners at all.

It turns out CPF's banners are blocked by many popular extensions. Please whitelist cpfclassifieds.com to help support the forums! They don't run any sneaky Javascript or Flash. Just old-fashioned animated GIFs, each vetted by Greta.

(And click on my banner too, I'm a little proud of it.)

parametrek

Enlightened
It doesn't quite work that way. Something only needs to be whitelisted if it is already blacklisted. Candlepowerforums.com would never be blacklisted, because then the site would not exist.

A thing I just noticed. Since the "update your email" GIF is served from cpfclassifieds, people with ad-blockers will not see it. If there are active users who still haven't updated this is probably why :)

nbp

Flashaholic
The other consideration is the large percentage of members that use mobile apps to browse the forum, who don't see any of those things. I rarely ever see a banner ad or notice at the top unless I happen to visit on my laptop.

Greta

Flashaholic
It doesn't quite work that way. Something only needs to be whitelisted if it is already blacklisted. Candlepowerforums.com would never be blacklisted, because then the site would not exist.

A thing I just noticed. Since the "update your email" GIF is served from cpfclassifieds, people with ad-blockers will not see it. If there are active users who still haven't updated this is probably why :)

CPFClassifieds is not blacklisted anywhere except on individual machines. Users can "blacklist" sites for the purpose of blocking ads themselves with their browser settings. And, as nbp pointed out, mobile apps block the ads too.

Greta

Flashaholic
And FYI - your banner has been seen 31,820 times in the three days it has been up.

parametrek

Enlightened
No worries, plenty of people have been clicking on it too. Traffic has been way up and I can only hope people are finding it useful :) (I don't do any tracking so I can't tell beyond traffic numbers.) Thanks for the concern!

But yes, this post was directed towards the individuals who use ad blockers. They probably don't realized they don't need to ad-block CPF because you guys are the most responsible place I've ever seen. However if they don't explicitly whitelist it, they wouldn't ever know that.

edit: Thanks KITROBASKIN!