A review of Olighta S2A baton

ChazmanRA043

Newly Enlightened
This is my first post on this site. I have visited numerous times to read peoples reviews of certain torches so I thought it was time to join in. So here is my opinion of the S2A baton.

The S2A baton is a nice little light. At 5.2" long it fit in the hand perfectly inany grip. Speaking of grip, thisflashlight, unlike some of Olights others has a soft silicon coating on thebody to aid with the grip. It is also textured which adds even more grip. The rest of the body is made from the sameaircraft grade aluminium with a hard anodised finish as is used in a lot of theother flashlights in the range.

I love the fact that this flashlight runs on AA batterieswhether you have Alkaline, NiMH or Lithium Iron. Yes I same 'Iron' not 'Ion'. There is a difference. LithiumIron are basically Ion batteries but with some additions that makes them lastlonger and give more power. I'm notgoing to go into the science behind it..
The light has a removable belt clip that is very strong andhas a small indent that makes it possible to clip onto really thinsurfaces. You can stand it on the baseand on the bezel, which is stainless steel and has a blue ring around the innerface. The glass is reflection free andfronts a deep, clear reflector. This reflector plus the Cree XM-L2 LED andLithium Iron batteries all work together to give a pretty decent throw ofaround 100 metres. It is a clear warmlight with no hint of blue that I can detect.
There are 5 power setting on this light. I was somewhat taken aback when I read thatthere were 5. The modes are shown inthe product description but I will run through them again here. Basically the torch modes go from barelyvisible to blindingly bright. Specifically; 0.5 lumens (Moonlight mode) up to 555lumen. In between there are levels of20, 120 and 260 lumen. To save onbattery power, when you have the highest setting on, it will step down from 550to 260 after about a minute. Truth betold, when you are out and about it doesn't matter that much.
Switching through the power modes is simple. You only have to press and hold the sideswitch halfway. To choose the mode youwant you just let go of the switch. Toswitch on the 'Moonlight' mode simply half press the switch from the Offposition. The light will come on with0.5 lumens. This may not seem like muchbut when you are sat in you tent or Basha this light is plenty bright enough toread from. To switch off from Moonlight just press and release the switch. To get a brighter light from Moonlight, halfpress the switch and it will cycle through.
Other features with this flashlight are that it is Impactresistant to 1 metre and waterproof to 2 metres. It is light, only 56g without batteries. A lanyard (wrist strap)is also supplied. This comes with asmall slither of metal that Olight call a perforating tool. This is probably just a bad translation. It is actually just a piece of metal thatyou can use to thread the wrist strap through the holes on the base cap thusmaking it easier to put the strap on. Icall this a wrist strap because as an ex Artillery soldier I know that alanyard is a piece of cord used to fire an artillery gun and not something tohold onto your torch with. Another featureis the inbuilt memory. Simply put, whenyou turn the torch off then turn it back on, it will come back on in the samemode as you had it before. So be aware that if you switch it off in the Highmode do not look directly at the light when you turn it back on. Also, if you double click the switch whenthe light is turned off it will switch on in high mode even if you switched offin low. This is useful if you need apowerful beam quickly. Lastly we cometo the strobe feature. The strobe is10Hz and flashes on High power, that's 550 lumens. So if you need todisorientate someone then this is a terrific tool for the job.
The flashlight comes in a choice of colours. I chose black as all of my flashlights are black but you can choose from blue/orange andgrey.
I have still to figure out how to attach photos but will do so when I can.

oKtosiTe

Enlightened
For future posts, please consider sectioning off your text a bit more with headers and double line breaks. This helps avoid the "wall of text" effect and makes your post much easier to read, particularly for people like me with tunnel vision.

Oh, and :welcome: