I am so sick of this commercial!

tex.proud

Enlightened
I keep seeing this commercial on Television, but know exactly what a piece of junk it really is.

[video]https://81b903489fbabff3f560-48280f0c6a3fdf177fb9354556b3ddb2.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.c om/AtomicBeam1170_I.m4v[/video]

Please pick this apart! Please use absolute scrutiny with reality in mind. Please tell me that I'm not just biased. Pleas be honest in your scrutiny of this thing that has a cult following. I'm not assuming anything, but I have an incling that this thing cannot live up to what they say it does, and more importantly, belive that folks that do will be absolutely disappointed. I'm not interested in blowing them out of the water, but only confirming that I'm not an idiot for thinking what I do about this.

I realize that this has been covered in other threads, but with this commercial on US television nightly, I'm concerned.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I keep seeing this commercial on Television, but know exactly what a piece of junk it really is.

[video]https://81b903489fbabff3f560-48280f0c6a3fdf177fb9354556b3ddb2.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.c om/AtomicBeam1170_I.m4v[/video]

Please pick this apart! Please use absolute scrutiny with reality in mind. Please tell me that I'm not just biased. Pleas be honest in your scrutiny of this thing that has a cult following. I'm not assuming anything, but I have an incling that this thing cannot live up to what they say it does, and more importantly, belive that folks that do will be absolutely disappointed. I'm not interested in blowing them out of the water, but only confirming that I'm not an idiot for thinking what I do about this.

I realize that this has been covered in other threads, but with this commercial on US television nightly, I'm concerned.

I'm guessing the light is like this one here
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3000-Lumen-Zoom-CREE-XM-L-T6-LED-Black-Flashlight-Torch-Lamp-Light-18650-3-AAA-/401149509160?hash=item5d665fbe28:g:eJcAAOSwMmBVm4F n
selling for under $8 and they sell it for $20 for the first one and $10 for the second one and charge you $8 or more S&H for EACH light so 2 lights and S&S cost them under $16 and they charge $46 for them and have to pay for a $2 package etc + $3 USPS postage or so. Probably cost them $5 per unit for TV commercial time if they get enough suckers so they are more then doubling their money on these vs us buying them off ebay outright.

Last edited:

Dr. Mario

Enlightened
LOL Looks like a Ultrafire zoomie flashlight. So yeah, it won't live up to the claim, as some variants have hollow pills, no way to dissipate much of heat from the Cree LEDs. (I bet it also might have crappy LatticeBright LED. :sick2: LatticeBright LEDs are known to be inferior in many way compared to both Cree and Nichia LEDs.)

It would make a nice host for Cree XHP-50 flashlight mod, if not for the stupid hollow pills.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I started a thread a while ago about this and other 'miracle' lights sold on tv or online. I'm disappointed at Hunter Ellis for agreeing to advertise this light. He was in the military and he knows this light isn't up to par.

It reminds me of Brett Favre selling that Copper Fit snake oil. He's got more money than God, so he certainly doesn't NEED to sell that bunk product. He could live comfortably off the interest off of his money without actually spending a penny of the principle!

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think this is the same light that has inundated Facebook with ads for the last month or so. I want to just say "caveat emptor", but I'm afraid that a lot of people are going to buy this light, find out how bad it is, and get turned off on all LED lights. I could spend half an hour picking that ad apart, but I've got better things to do with my time.

PS: What would a fighter pilot have to do with a light like this? His crew chief would be the one to go over the plane and could use a good LED light, but one sure wouldn't need this light in the cockpit, and I can't see the USAF certifying this as a part of a pilot's survival gear.

tigfur

Newly Enlightened
wow that looks awesome! and only 20$! i hate when i forget my flashlight under a brick during karate training

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
ah the XXXhawk is back! 1000000% trash. Lattice Bright Cree knock off LED, its actually made by a Chinese company called Meco, PWM to the max. The mystery cell they sell with it is a fire hazard.

RTTR

Newly Enlightened
What regular flashlight has 125 lux, a incan AAA maglite solitaire from the 90s?

ven

Flashaholic
It would not surprise me if they have made more profit than Henry this year(HDS) or even Fenix............It is genius in a way, take a cheap pile of *beep*, add some clever(to the general public) advertising with false endorsements, a recipe for success! From i bet $2 lights or less when bought in bulk.............They could send out 4 replacement lights to each customer after each sale who has issues , and still double their profits........

They see a couple of 100 lettuce shite lumens and WOWed by it, the zoomy action and easy to feed fuel..........

Sambob

Newly Enlightened
I turned to my wife the 2nd or 3rd time we saw this and said "that's a $3 flashlight from gear best tops" I was wrong It's probably this one http://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_149048.html
I also remember "the go belt" yeah $2.97 from gear best I actually bought a couple, It was what I expected cheap elastic strapping the buckles are a little soft, It's not that bad though had It for about 2mo the elastic is showing some wear but the pouch zippers are surprisingly still working.

Dr. Mario

Enlightened
That apparently reminds me of this meme for some reasons:

Nevertheless, I wouldn't count my life on this.

Beckler

Enlightened
Total & complete worthless garbage; preying on the ignorant. (I didn't watch the video). Even people on here though, I've read trying to justify the similar trash $10 lights. To each his own I guess, but can anyone REALLY not afford an extra $30 to get a legitimate flashlight? What exactly are you spending your money on? Just skip a day's worth of cigarettes (or meth) and spend it on something useful.

TCY

Enlightened
I'm gonna buy a bunch of BLF 348, engrave something that sounds hi-tech, advertise it as if pro spies and scientists use them, and sell it at $49 a pop.

:devil:

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm gonna buy a bunch of BLF 348, engrave something that sounds hi-tech, advertise it as if pro spies and scientists use them, and sell it at $49 a pop.

:devil:

Also need to give it a spec-ops-ish name. There aren't enough cheap lights out there with the word "-fire" at the end, so why not call it the "Delta-Fire Apex XPR". That should generate an extra $1 per light! Lol

Equitymind

Newly Enlightened
I hate that commercial!!!

Have you guys noticed the line "...and the critical components inside the Atomic Beam are made RIGHT HERE IN THE USA!" (1:34)

Just the inside. Like all LED flashlights. Cept' the rest is made in China. Yeah no mention of that yet they follow the statement with a patriotic looking red white and blue stamp stating "LED components" Made in the USA! Funny they don't reference where the rest of the light is made.

tex.proud

Enlightened
I hate that commercial!!!

Have you guys noticed the line "...and the critical components inside the Atomic Beam are made RIGHT HERE IN THE USA!" (1:34)

Just the inside. Like all LED flashlights. Cept' the rest is made in China. Yeah no mention of that yet they follow the statement with a patriotic looking red white and blue stamp stating "LED components" Made in the USA! Funny they don't reference where the rest of the light is made.

That's the sort of thing that broke my craw about this commrcial to begin with. Thank you!

tex.proud

Enlightened
When people respond "Yes" to the question "Would you like fries with that?" I always toss in a flashlight..:fail: