Flashlight stops bullet, anyone know what kind of flashlight this is?

elzilcho

Enlightened
A person was shot at during a robbery but the bullet was stopped by a flashlight in their backpack. I was wondering what kind of light it is. Does anyone recognize it?

4edc4f84-cb60-44db-b649-a71014b6b7f5-large16x9_160823_pio_flashlight_shooting_1200.jpg

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
No idea what the light is, but the person is very fortunate. If it still worked that would be pretty neat.

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
hmmm... that looks like a 2-in-1 zoomable Flashlight + Lantern. Pictured below is my unit.

6PrbWUL.jpg

Bought it a year or 2 ago. A few more pictures:

r0LYF7o.jpg

FSHkni6.jpg

nzSPvqS.jpg

It's a 3 x AAA light, 3 modes in cycle, high - low - strobe, reverse clicky. The switch boot is big.
Z6JsoNx.jpg

I'm not sure if it's the same make and model, but it does look similar... :shrug:

Last edited:

blindedbythenight

Enlightened
hmmm... that looks like a 2-in-1 zoomable Flashlight + Lantern. Pictured below is my unit.

Solite200W_01.jpg

Solite200W_02.jpg

Solite200W_03.jpg

Solite200W_04.jpg

It's a 3 x AAA light, 3 modes in cycle, high - low - strobe, reverse clicky. The switch boot is big.
Solite200W_05.jpg

I'm not sure if it's the same make and model, but it does look similar... :shrug:
I agree it looks like my camping lantern...pretty cheap unbranded thing from ebay if I recall. Also not particularly robustly constructed so well done it for catching a slug.

Solite200W_01.jpg

Solite200W_02.jpg

Solite200W_03.jpg

Solite200W_04.jpg

Solite200W_05.jpg

I agree it looks like my camping lantern...pretty cheap unbranded thing from ebay if I recall. Also not particularly robustly constructed so well done it for catching a slug.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, pretty crazy story. And I'm impressed that people here had seen the light before!

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
sounds like they got extremely lucky and perhaps the bullet was from a smaller lower caliber gun and hit the light where most of the guts were to me someone with more knowledge of guns could probably chime in on that though.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Looks like the bullet tried to move laterally through the solid metal tailcap, which should indeed stop some smaller rounds. But if you search "T1 Abuse Test," you'll see one of our members here putting a .30-06 round completely through the thickest part of a heavily-heatsinked light as though it were ice cream, a flashlight is not what you want to stop a bullet..

Tre_Asay

Enlightened
That is why you carry solid SS or Ti lights.
If I was going to carry something with the intention to stop bullets it would be an ar500 plate.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
sounds like they got extremely lucky and perhaps the bullet was from a smaller lower caliber gun and hit the light where most of the guts were to me someone with more knowledge of guns could probably chime in on that though.
It was a .40 caliber pistol, according to the news story.

That would make it a mid-range power gun. My guess is that the bullet struck some solid mass in the flashlight.

Soon, magnum handgun manufacturers will boldly advertise "Flashlight-penetrating power!"

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
It was a .40 caliber pistol, according to the news story.

That would make it a mid-range power gun. My guess is that the bullet struck some solid mass in the flashlight.

Soon, magnum handgun manufacturers will boldly advertise "Flashlight-penetrating power!"
If the light were in a bag then it could move when hit and probably moved into/through/around other stuff to help absorb the impact some. I bet money if you put that light in a vice and shot it with the same gun in the same spot it would go through easily.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
a .30-06 round
well,
it was obvoius from the beginning, that that must have been a handgun bullet,
because to (eventually) stop a rifle bullet - totally different story

parametrek

Enlightened
Not too bad for a light that is $3.04 on Aliexpress. The Shadowhawk wishes it was this good.

Torpedo

Newly Enlightened
If this a true story, and a flashlight stopped a bullet without deflecting it, that was one incredibly lucky person.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pretty neat. Proof our hobby can save lives.
I have read stories of folks saved by some strange objects in their pockets or on their person. Cell phone comes to mind. I agree with the ability of the item to move and absorb energy surely helps.

Seems like a officers light saved him too just a few months back:
http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...350797311.html?_osource=SocialFlowTwt_PHBrand

Lights seem to have been saving lives for decades!:
http://fssf.forumotion.net/t3-never-got-hit-but-my-flashlight-did

and Phones:
http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/7-phones-that-stopped-bullets/

and a Bible:
http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/25/us/ohio-bible-stops-bullet/index.html

Now more about flashlights "saving lives". They not only stop bullets as you will see. So, now I shall share one of my favorite vintage links. DO NOT CLICK ON IT! Unless you are bored and want some reading material. Warning, it contains a few links. :grin2:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?102580-Flashlight-Story-Collection

Last edited:

brisco

Newly Enlightened
When that one was shot the top broke off. The hook part is probably still on the backpack.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fortunately it appears to be a hollowpoint or other type of expanding bullet. A FMJ bullet would have penetrated the flashlight or deflected.