Internal design Maglite ML50 vs ML300?

dadel

Newly Enlightened
I am trying to find out if there are any major internal differences between the MagLite ML50 and the ML300.

Known is that the D cell ML300 has a static led module for better heat sinking (thanks Old-Lumens for the outstanding teardown video). As far as I understand, this means that the reflector moves over the static led going from flood to spot.

What about the C cell ML50? Is it a pimped version of the earlier ML100/125, sharing the same internal design, or is it a complete redesign with the same kind of heat sinking as the ML300?

In my ML125, which at least from the outside looks very similar to the ML50, the led module moves while the reflector is static. The design can be seen in the led-resource.com's review of the ML125:
http://www.led-resource.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/ML125_13.jpg
To me, the design of the ML300 seems superior to the older design of the ML125, at least in terms of heat sinking.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive got the ML50LX 3 C and the ML300LX 3 D. Internally they are basically exactly the same. Just like in Old Lumens video. Yes it is the reflector moving not the LED.

The new 3rd Gens are totally superior to the older designs. ML125 is an older design. Yes the heat sinking on the 3rd Gens is 100% superior to the older designs. I now have 5 3rd Gens I like them that much. With the optical glass lenses I put in them they are even better.

dadel

Newly Enlightened
That was exactly the answer I was looking for. Thank you CelticCross!

How do the ML50 3C and the ML300 3D compare in terms of experienced output, throw, size of hot spot etc? The numbers are a little higher for the 3D, but is the difference noticable to the eye?

I'm about to add one of these to my collection but have a hard time deciding which it will be. While I love my 7 fullsize D-mags, I also really like the form factor of my ML125 for most normal tasks. Heart says ML300, brain says ML50...

maglite mike

Enlightened
I have the ML 300 LX in 2d,3d and 3 of the ml 125s. For daily use I like the form factor and rechargable feature of the ml125. I'll be getting an ml50 soon too.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
yw OP! My favorites of my 5 3rd Gens are actually the C cell ML50LX's I have one is a 2 C the other the 3 C. Up until very recently I was a D cell Mag addict and never had a C cell until the incredible new 3rd Gens came out. How do they compare in output? The ML50LX 2 C cell unit looks dead on specs at 500 very convincing lumens. The 3 C cell LX has 611 lumens the output is pretty noticeable and unless I know I am really going to need max run time and throw I grab one of the C cell units. The biggest difference between my 611 lumen ML50LX and my 625 lumen ML300LX is beam width. Hot spot size is the same across them all which means a healthy sensible size spot, a faint corona and metric tons of spill.

My advice would to actually get your choice of color in 3 C cell ML50LX. Order some borofloat glass lenses for it from flashlightlens.com and get a fresh pack of C alkalines. I am pleased to the maximum effect with this set up. The much slimmer C cell body actually makes the light quasi EDCable. Feels great in the hand.

Maglite mike you will freaking love the ML50 I cannot stress enough how much better the grip of the ML50LX version is though that and the finish on the LX is much tougher than the standard ML. The 3rd Gens new mode selection takes a bit of getting used to but I have all mine set to high-low-strobe. The strobe out of these things is incredible.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Man, I love some enelooped C size Maglite. It's like carrying an empty one.

Sure I keep a 24 pack of Rayovacs handy but in terms of just plain comfort the Eneloop'd light is just dandy.

And an acrylite lens from flashlight lens lets 97% light through with just enough diffusion to mask all that Mag-ugly stuff, give you just a smidge more spill yet hardly affect the throw at all. It gives your Maglite a whole new character without changing a thing in terms of brightness.

Left is Acrylite, right is ultra-clear.

If you want a virtually artifact free beam, give that acrylite a try.

This is what it did to an ugly incan beam.

The before uglyness

The magic is even better with an LED

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
great shots bykfxr! I myself get the jewel clear quality of the borofloat lenses they sell. I just cannot keep the UCL lenses clean. They have worked out better than anything else. In the new 3rd Gens the borofloat glass gives amazing beam definition. In my older D Mags I still use borofloat and spend the time it takes to focus them down to the millimeter for best beam profile. Still a couple light artifacts in the older ones. The 3rd Gens with glass are just artifact free perfection.

dadel

Newly Enlightened
Some great advice here, much appreciated! I'm now convinced about the 3C ML50LX and will get that one first, and if I like, I may add a 2/3D ML300 version later on.

dadel

Newly Enlightened
And an acrylite lens from flashlight lens lets 97% light through with just enough diffusion to mask all that Mag-ugly stuff, give you just a smidge more spill yet hardly affect the throw at all. It gives your Maglite a whole new character without changing a thing in terms of brightness.

That acrylite lens looks really nice!

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
flashlightlens.com has amazing prices. I would get all 3 lenses to experiment with to see which you like best acrylite, borofloat and UCL all 3 should run you under 20 bucks. Ive found the borofloat glass to be the most scratch resistant and super easy to keep clean.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some great advice here, much appreciated! I'm now convinced about the 3C ML50LX and will get that one first, and if I like, I may add a 2/3D ML300 version later on.

Don't think you could go wrong with either!

The 300 is great when you want the D cell form factor and heft along with longer run times and a bit more throw. The ML50 is a gem when you want something a little slimmer and lighter. The 50 also costs a little less than the 300 as well.