TK61 Replacement

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
nope. Fenix has not even let out a hint of a rumor for it either. One thing is for sure. In this day and age of lights like the Javelots, K60 etc. Fenix better pull out a freaking miracle as most of what they have introduced over the past 12 months or so has been well..kinda lame. I do not see how Fenix is going to design a light that doubles the original TK61's CD without being huge, needing a full on battery pack etc. The new TK75 is a great light but against the competition is a flop the NC TM16 eats it for cheaper.

I would in my opinion put a release date at next summer. Fenix knows they need to pull out all the stops with this one. IP68 rated would be a huge selling point. Crazy nice anodizing would be another. The ability to tune the tint color of the LED would be massive. Keep the size down with milled in battery wells instead of a battery carrier would be a must. Do some real reflector magic Im talking bell shaped and deep hand polished even.

Alas I predict another also ran...

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I mean... I know reflectors need to be optimized for each emitter, but surely the latest huge MT-G2 or XHP70 could be shoved in there with a little modding if necessary to still utilize that huge reflector and have crazy output at the same time. I don't know. Maybe it's just not worth having such a huge reflector light anymore. But I see it like optics in photography; sooner or later you can only do so much trickery and you're going to need the best glass to get the best results. It's kind of the same way with emitters. You can remove the dome to collate the beam a bit more into a single throwing point, but having a big reflector will always help if you really want to get the light far out into the distance.

I'd personally like to see them keep a big reflector light like the TK61 and put newer emitter tech into it. I may never buy one.... but I still want to see what they can achieve :)

ven

Flashaholic
If it was me, i would use a similar platform/size but increase the head size over the tk61. Maybe 20mm on the diameter and another 20-30mm in length of the reflector. Change the design/knurling on the body, different head design(never over struck on the tk61 looks tbh). Tough choice on the carrier or it to be milled into the body for the cells, i kind of like the run time kit flexibility as well. Then a 5000k xhp35 HI and driven hard and a target as close to 3000lm as possible without any adverse effects(heat/life cycle/efficiency) . A target of 800kcd..........i dont think it would be that difficult for Fenix to do.

Thorch

Newly Enlightened
On the Fenix website somebody asked this questions to. A guy answered the question with August 2016.

http://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-tk61-led-flashlight/
U
Also on the website from Fenix is mentioned:

This light is out of production. Fenix plans to replace it with another "thrower" in 2016.

I hope it will be something with only 1 emitter like a XHP35 Hi with a 120mm head diameter for big throw.

Can't wait because I want one :)

drummer132132

Enlightened
If it was me, i would use a similar platform/size but increase the head size over the tk61. Maybe 20mm on the diameter and another 20-30mm in length of the reflector. Change the design/knurling on the body, different head design(never over struck on the tk61 looks tbh). Tough choice on the carrier or it to be milled into the body for the cells, i kind of like the run time kit flexibility as well. Then a 5000k xhp35 HI and driven hard and a target as close to 3000lm as possible without any adverse effects(heat/life cycle/efficiency) . A target of 800kcd..........i dont think it would be that difficult for Fenix to do.

This would be ideal tbh. Keep the carrier style for adding on additional battery tubes for extended runtime. I completely agree with a 5000k xhp35 HI pushed to full potential with a target of 800kcd though I would be very content with 650kcd. Hopefully we see it the next few months.

QUOTE=Thorch;4952576]On the Fenix website somebody asked this questions to. A guy answered the question with August 2016.

http://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-tk61-led-flashlight/
U
Also on the website from Fenix is mentioned:

This light is out of production. Fenix plans to replace it with another "thrower" in 2016.

I hope it will be something with only 1 emitter like a XHP35 Hi with a 120mm head diameter for big throw.

Can't wait because I want one :)[/QUOTE]

I would like one as well. 2000-3000 lumen from a single emitter will be able to balance heat with long runtimes. Especially if they give it a decent amount of mass. Who knows maybe they go crazy and show a light in size like the RC40 but with one xhp35 HI and a huge reflector [emoji48] though don't forget the carrying strap to sling around the shoulder otherwise that would be a deal breaker for me [emoji16].

ven

Flashaholic
An rc40 with 6x xhp35 HI now that would be a flashlight!!!!!!!! Say a conservative 12,000lm(just 2000lm per xhp35 HI) in a 5000k flavour..............:naughty:

For a thrower the k70vn pretty much nails it for me and my uses, cant use that to its full potential and the approx 570kcd of the xhp35 HI V's the 500kcd of the rc40vnT............my eyes cant tell other than hot spot size and the little too on the cool side xhp35 HI. For me its not critical in a thrower(K), but the rc40vnT's really is nice at 5000k

tk61vn at around 600kcd

k70vn @570kcd

rc40vnT

For me it would have to be at least 800kcd or have the potential to be that (modded).

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont see the new 61 pushing more than 300k CD which is actually just fine. It all comes down to what size the light is for me. TK61 was the king for an awful long time with its massive reflector but my my how times have changed. My M3XS embarrasses the 61 with half the head diameter and literally 1/4th overall size. Emitter will almost certainly be an XHP of some type. De doming a 50 or 70 would be huge. I still think when it does come out most the competition will still eat it. Fenix wants to keep it big they have the K70 to beat which is one daunting task. They want to go compact beating the M3XS is just as daunting. I dont see a multi emitter set up as the best set up for super throw is still big reflector and one emitter.

drummer132132

Enlightened
I dont see the new 61 pushing more than 300k CD which is actually just fine. It all comes down to what size the light is for me. TK61 was the king for an awful long time with its massive reflector but my my how times have changed. My M3XS embarrasses the 61 with half the head diameter and literally 1/4th overall size. Emitter will almost certainly be an XHP of some type. De doming a 50 or 70 would be huge. I still think when it does come out most the competition will still eat it. Fenix wants to keep it big they have the K70 to beat which is one daunting task. They want to go compact beating the M3XS is just as daunting. I dont see a multi emitter set up as the best set up for super throw is still big reflector and one emitter.

Well the emitter they should use is the xhp35 hi. Knowing Fenix I'm betting they use minimum xpl hi which unfortunately won't beat the competition but does (I think) open the door for modders to put in xhp35 hi. So one big reflector with a single xhp35 hi is the ticket in trying to beat the other brands. I like Fenix a lot. I currently have a TK75vnQ PDTc Fiat Lux which is a fantastic light and throws more than I'll ever need but I still would like to get a dedicated thrower from Fenix as a brand. Ideally I'd buy the modded version from Vinh with drivervnx(?). I'm picky though so if it doesn't come with a shoulder carrying strap I'll have to settle for the TN42vn since I'm pretty sure vinh is going to mod it.

drummer132132

Enlightened
An rc40 with 6x xhp35 HI now that would be a flashlight!!!!!!!! Say a conservative 12,000lm(just 2000lm per xhp35 HI) in a 5000k flavour..............:naughty:

For a thrower the k70vn pretty much nails it for me and my uses, cant use that to its full potential and the approx 570kcd of the xhp35 HI V's the 500kcd of the rc40vnT............my eyes cant tell other than hot spot size and the little too on the cool side xhp35 HI. For me its not critical in a thrower(K), but the rc40vnT's really is nice at 5000k

tk61vn at around 600kcd

k70vn @570kcd

rc40vnT

For me it would have to be at least 800kcd or have the potential to be that (modded).

An RC40vn with 6 xhp35 hi would be insane...aside from not being able to afford the current RC40vnT waiting for the 2017 version of the RC40 is probably the smarter thing to do just because of the potential.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
XHP35 HI is my current favorite emitter. Its performance in my MkIII HI is something I never thought Id see. But I predict Fenix will be shooting for 2000 OTF and 300k CD which is out of the 35HI's range when it comes to Fenix warranty dpt. I currently have a 4000 lumen Mag with a dedomed XHP70 on its way to me from Matt at Adventure Sport. I cannot wait XHP70 HI? Yes Please!!

ven

Flashaholic
I love de-domed xhp70's CC, really does make them come to life and i do like the little tint shift towards the warmer side of maybe 500k or so(to my eye). The k60vn is astonishing for a de-domed xhp70 beam! I dont think the xhp70 de-domed will get much past 250kcd............so the xhp35 HI would be the choice for a thrower, former for an all round type beam with plenty of bright spill.

drummer132132

Enlightened
If they do go xhp70 hi (is there one?) it will need an orange peel reflector yes? That would kill any idea of anything over 350kcd or at least that's what I think. I'll be honest I'd rather see a smooth reflector with xhp35 hi over xhp70 with orange peel. But who knows maybe it would be really nice :shrug:

Does xhp35 hi with smooth reflector give a donut hole effect?

ven

Flashaholic
Plus the disadvantage of being large, will not be as good in the throw department as the xhp35 HI

Not yet there is no xhp70 HI, you never know...........

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
there is no official XHP70 HI that I am aware of. Makers and customizers cut the domes off themselves. Reason Im having Matt de dome the 70 in my monster 4000 lumen Mag is to eliminate artifacts, donut holes and any chance of the cross pattern of a quad die showing up in the beam. Matt is using a smooth reflector for the build should be fine and totally blinding. My L6 is already so bright it hurts to look at it on max from certain angles. The heavy orange peel reflector in the L6 is indeed to take care of the artifacts a domed 70 puts out and it works great. But as for the 61 replacement XHP70 is just to big an emitter for max throw and a focused smooth reflector. Idk about the 50 still big. I will say the 35 in my MkIII HI is nothing short of miraculous. Such output and huge a beam coming out such a small reflector that also has a touch of throw to it 5 years ago would have been the stuff of science fiction.

The 35 from what I understand is NOT a quad die emitter its one piece and the smallest of the XHP's so just how hard can it be pushed reliably? Something that Fenix will warrant. Whatever happened to the SBT70? It seemed to be THE thrower emitter as it is a round die?

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
If Fenix doesn't blow it out of the water with this light, I'll be convinced they've gone the way of Surefire.

Once the leader and innovator on the bleeding edge...now yesterday's news!

Last edited:

Capolini

Banned

Totally disagree! The M3XS- UT is ~ 250Kcd. Why even bother if they don't[not can't] push this supposed new TK61 to 5, 6, 700Kcd?

With all the new LED's out there Fenix will have NO problem pushing this light much further. For Christ sakes the original TK61 is 160Kcd! We will see,some will eat their words and some will be pretty close! lol! :thinking:

EDIT: My TK61vn V4 is ~ 770Kcd. These stock lights are getting closer and closer to the modded numbers. I see no reason why that would be different here.

Furthermore if the NEW TK61 was ~ 300Kcd who would buy it when you have the TN42 @ 600Kcd?!

Last edited:

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 35 from what I understand is NOT a quad die emitter its one piece and the smallest of the XHP's so just how hard can it be pushed reliably? Something that Fenix will warrant. Whatever happened to the SBT70? It seemed to be THE thrower emitter as it is a round die?

The Cree XHP35 is, indeed, a quad die. I believe, however, that the four LEDs are not cut apart from each other. They comprise a single silicon wafer. They are wired in series directly in the silicon. This is why the XHP35 requires a 12-volt driver.

Compare that with the XHP50 and XHP70. Those four dies on those LEDs have been cut apart, and afterwards mounted on emitters. Wiring options on the emitter provide for either 6-volt or 12-volt operation.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
KeepingItLight thank you for the edification. Being the smallest of the XHP series I would imagine that an XHP35 HI is a highly likely choice. Still whatever happened to the SBT70? ET has a couple lights with it as an option and the numbers are very impressive.

Capolini-its the Fenix warranty dpt Im worried about strangling the new 61. Sure they could easily build a 600k CD light but I dont see Fenix warranty dpt. allowing something like that out. Its also why realistically I predict 2000 lumens and 300-350k CD. I am imagining what looks like a shrunken TK61 that takes one or two 26650's. I see a very deep bell shaped reflector instead of the massive one on the 61. User interface will likely be barely acceptable. It will put out one amazing beam on all modes but will be no K70 killer.