Just got a Nitcore SRT3 Defender, and it's failed already!

Taxman

Newly Enlightened
I've had the light less than 24 hours and it's failed.

The selector ring is a great concept but it's a joke on this light I received. The 0.1 lumen selector doesn't work half the time. If the moonlight mode does come on, if I switch to a higher lumen selection and then back to the moonlight 0.1 lumen selection, it either doesn't come on or it flickers.

I can switch between the red and blue modes, and back to the moonlight mode and it works. But as soon as I switch to a higher lumen selection, if I go back to the moonlight mode it's gone, it won't come on. It's like switching to a higher lumen setting temporarily fries the moonlight setting.

I guess my my only recourse is to swap it out for another. It's an Amazon Prime purchase, so they will send me another prior to me sending this one back. If that one does the same thing, I'll just send them both back and be done with it. Correction, this was not an Amazon fulfillment, Edison was the direct seller, it so I'm not able to replace it, I actually have to send the damn thing back first.

Is this common with this model?

PS - it does this with the rechargeable CR 123 battery that it came with, the Edison AAA it came with, and any other battery that I tried. Now that I think back, this problem didn't start until I put in the Nitecore rechargeable CR 123. Then I started having these problems. But even if I switch back to a standard AAA, the problem still persists. What the hell?

PSS - I let the light sit for a few minutes, then go turn it on starting in the moonlight mode, it generally will come on in that mode. But switching modes wipes it out. What's going on?

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
its a AA/16340 light not AAA. You are using AAA cells? If that is the case that is the problem. Yours came with a 16340? Odd mine did not come with a cell. What brand cell did it come with? I myself recently got a new SRT3 3 years after it came out and was very pleasantly surprised its a very nice light. I run a 840mah Keeppower 14500 in mine with no issues. Find a AA cell and try that out.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have not heard of any similar problems-mine works great and I love it. Edison is a reputable Amazon provider and should take care of you. It is a pain to have to send any new product back, but it just sounds like you got a bad one. I have 19 Nitecores and just experienced my very first failure(of course on one of my fav lights). Good luck....

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
OP they included AAA cells? That is crazy! Of course the light barely works! If you have an Energizer Ultimate Lithium laying around it should work and work well highest output of course comes from either a 16340 or 14500. Sounds like you got a good light that had a bunch of wrong batteries included with it

Taxman

Newly Enlightened
My bad it's AA... I wasn't paying attention to my typing. Same issues, AA is what I got. What's funny is the AA was taped to the outside of the box. LOL.

Like you said, it sounds like I got a fluke, and I'll send it back.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
indeed send it back. Got mine off Amazon for a steal from a US retailer so I know the product has not been sitting under crates of who knows what for 3 years in non climate controlled conditions. Mine came in perfect condition so good I would say it was made in the last few months. The ring on mine is surprisingly smooth. I have the much bigger SRT6 and 7 the rings on those are just perfection. SRT3 is still very prominent even 3 plus years after its release because of that awesome ring interface. The secondary LED is useless but its still an awesome light. If its just a small 550-600 lumen light you are after than the Olight S1A is near impossible to beat. Its half the size of the SRT3! Great switch and one hell of a strong magnet in the tail.