McClicky switch diameter and thread size for E-series tailcap?

KakaruPilot

Newly Enlightened
Hey everyone. So I was thinking about asking our machinist down here at the South Pole (who is ridiculously talented) to help me create a one-off E1E-sized light because I think it would be really neat to have something that was created down here. I was wondering if anyone knows/could tell me the diameter of the McClicky switch and the thread size that would be used for an E-series sized tailcap? I would measure it myself but I all of E's are back at home and I don't want to disassemble awesome acrylic OR light I have here with me.

Thanks so much for anything you can tell me and any advice you have!

-E

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the idea, a torch from Antarctica!

The E-series are my favorite style, I might be able to help - once I get home to do some measuring. I believe the tailcap threads are 11/16-20, but I'm working from memory.

This is my most recent build:
20160717_184105.jpg

*** Edit
The surefire E-series are 13/16-20 at the head, and 11/16-20 at the tail.

Here's something to consider: if you are building a torch from scratch, why not just make it to your specifications? Now I can understand keeping the head the same or similar, to stay with the standard 17mm driver/ 20mm optics/ MPCB, but one of the limitations of the E-series is that it was designed way before modern lithium cells were developed. Make the body fit an 18350, design your own tail, and go from there.
~D

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a question, what is the E-series body diameter?
Amazingly the official site doesn't reveal this info (or I am looking at the wrong place) and an exhaustive search here doesn't ping anything either.

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
it is 3/4". The C-style bodies are 1".
E-series tailcap threads are 11/16-20

Over on the machining sub-forum, there are more specific dimensions if you search