Looking at the leatherman surge. Any other brands have good alternatives?

birdman3131

Newly Enlightened
I have ran a gerber MP600 for years but have misplaced it recently so I need a new one. A coworker has the Leatherman Surge which looks nice and fixes my only issue with leatherman in the past. (Old school leathermans had a nasty habit of cutting into your skin when using the pliers.)

It also has a proper removable wirecutter rather than the piece of crap Gerber came out with. (Watched my coworker cut through 1/8" or 3/16" steel cable with it. The gerber inserts shatter if they see a coathanger. Tool steel > tungsten carbide for wire cutters.)

Is there any other models/brands of multitools I should look at? The size is not an issue for me so don't try to point me at lighter weight/smaller ones without there being another valid reason.

CanadianSurvivalCompany

Newly Enlightened
I have ran a gerber MP600 for years but have misplaced it recently so I need a new one. A coworker has the Leatherman Surge which looks nice and fixes my only issue with leatherman in the past. (Old school leathermans had a nasty habit of cutting into your skin when using the pliers.)

It also has a proper removable wirecutter rather than the piece of crap Gerber came out with. (Watched my coworker cut through 1/8" or 3/16" steel cable with it. The gerber inserts shatter if they see a coathanger. Tool steel > tungsten carbide for wire cutters.)

Is there any other models/brands of multitools I should look at? The size is not an issue for me so don't try to point me at lighter weight/smaller ones without there being another valid reason.

Ive been quite happy with all of my leathermans, havent found a reason to move yet. Personal favorite has been the wave. I am interested to see if anything else comes up.

Unclebbob46

Newly Enlightened
Knifecenter.com has a HUGE selection of multi-tools. Also- I go to Cabelas or Bass Pro or the like to physically handle them and check them out.
Me, I use a Leatherman Wingman and love the thing.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The surge is great if you don't mind the size and weight.....probably my favorite multi, though is is kind of heavy.

If you want something lighter but still has one hand opening blades, I would suggest the wave or charge. If one hand opening blades are not needed (if you already carry a one hand folder) the ST300, core or rebar are real nice too.

bowbuilder

Newly Enlightened
Leatherman all the way.
I have a new surge and I really like it. I think it's a great tool.
If you buy one online, make sure it's the newer model.
I recently bought two Surge's online and both showed the newer model, with the replaceable cutters, but both were actually the older models.
Seems like a lot of sellers use the model number on their ads, and apparently the old and new numbers are the same, or similar .
Got it straightened out, no problem, but best to verify which model they are selling.
Check out the St300, and the Rebar.
I carry my Rebar more than any of the others because the size of it just seems to work well for me.

OCD

Enlightened
I had a Buck model 360 back in the late 90's because I didn't like the sharp edges of the original Leatherman handles. I lost it and replaced it with a Wave once it came out. I've looked at other multi tools, but Wave fits my needs so well. I like the Leatherman Charge, but see no need to shell out more $$$ to replace my Wave just yet.