Dorcy's New Led Light

StuU

Enlightened
Dorcy\'s New Led Light

I was in an army surplus store last week and happened to notice that Dorcy is now marketing an led flashlight called "Cool Blue". It seems to be another version of the Turtlelite I and is selling for $15.00. The package claims a narrow "bluish" beam with greater range than a standard flashlight. I would guess they are using the Ledcorp ground bulb. The light was the standard Dorcy Rhinolite- yellow and with a non-faceted reflector. Not sure if the led is a standard white or actually blue.
I didn't buy one as I just made my own 3-led version of the Turtlelite last month and have another dozen leds coming from white.leds.net.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Dorcy\'s New Led Light

Dorcy has now updated the Cool Blue (hope this isn't old news) - saw one in the Bass Pro shop in Concord, NC - 19.99 - blue aluminum body.

Here's some info/pics:
http://www.dorcy.com/LED_files/slide0004.htm

Check the specs slide - they CLAIM .85A through the LED and 72,000 hour life....

(I don't think the general public are supposed to see these slides - looks like their site search engine let it slip through...
cool.gif
)

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Well, the bulb life seems OK (less than common 100,000 hr figure), but the current rating of 850 mA is a clear tpyo.

roguesoul

Newly Enlightened

Several people I showed this light to liked it and wanted one of their own. However the beam is very narrow. There is some spilled light but it's only useful in a very dark situation. Comparing it to a Brinkmann Long Life Led Light which I got at the same time the LLLL is way more useful IMO. BTW the CoolBlue was less than 10 bucks at Wal-Mart.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gadgeteer:
I was in an army surplus store last week and happened to notice that Dorcy is now marketing an led flashlight called "Cool Blue". It seems to be another version of the Turtlelite I and is selling for $15.00. The package claims a narrow "bluish" beam with greater range than a standard flashlight. I would guess they are using the Ledcorp ground bulb. The light was the standard Dorcy Rhinolite- yellow and with a non-faceted reflector. Not sure if the led is a standard white or actually blue.
I didn't buy one as I just made my own 3-led version of the Turtlelite last month and have another dozen leds coming from white.leds.net.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Glad to see another LED flashlight being marketed to the masses. I've got the Cool Blue, but find it's beam to be way to narrow!

If you have another Dorcy with a facetted reflector (or a Turtle Lite II), switch the heads and the Cool Blue becomes a MUCH better flashlight (and the Turtle Lite II doesn't suffer any with the smooth reflector).