Justification

blindedbythenight

Enlightened
I don't want to sound like I am under the thumb or that my wife is unreasonable but how do those of you with partners justify spending so much money on what is at the end of the day the same product? (I realise different torches do different things and strictly speaking you could have a collection of 20 odd that all do something different but I think we all have to admit that you get to a point where some of our torches do the same thing and you have more than one of any one type? I have just managed to argue that I need a new headlamp for some work I am doing and I am getting a new thrunite for my birthday...little ones that cost a tenner I can get away with but if it is a larger more expensive torch it has to be dor a reason or a special occassion.
Just wondering how you all get on in this respect?

d88

Newly Enlightened
Since joining here, I was doing fine on my modest but perfectly workable collection of torches....until I discovered the group buy section on here with some of the great prices on lights I normally would not consider. I've now got a drawer with at least half a dozen EDC lights now , with another two on order from GB's. Sometimes you (and your partner) have to accept our little indulgences in life. There's no harm in having a few or dozen back up lights in case of a zombie apocalypse.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I was able to convince my wife it was $5000 cars plus cost of restoring or $50 flashlights plus the cost of batteries.

But basically I spend extra money on my hobbies. Money most spend on internet, cable tv, eating take out at lunch and new car payments I spend on hobbies.

I do not watch tv, use my phone for a hot spot, carry a cooler everyday and have a company truck (with a gas card)... I learned those tricks while paying child support. Well I still live like I'm still paying child support. The money that used to pay for my ex to vacation in resorts now goes to Elzetta, Malkoff, PKDL, Streamlight and eBay sellers who sell antique flashlights...

So it kinda comes down to priorities... at least for this flashaholic.

torchsarecool

Enlightened
Only way I can spend money now is by raising the funds selling other "stuff" I've accrued. Whether it be watches, torches or anything else I've got bored of. As long as I can pay the money back I'm OK.
My collection therefore evolves and changes quite alot.

blindedbythenight

Enlightened
Since joining here, I was doing fine on my modest but perfectly workable collection of torches....until I discovered the group buy section on here with some of the great prices on lights I normally would not consider. I've now got a drawer with at least half a dozen EDC lights now , with another two on order from GB's. Sometimes you (and your partner) have to accept our little indulgences in life. There's no harm in having a few or dozen back up lights in case of a zombie apocalypse.
Oh I pleased someone else has the zombie outbreak in mind too haha

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
I posted this in another thread, but a a couple summers ago I went through a jet ski buying phase (older ones). She considers this cheap relative to that.

I don't own or want to own any of the holy grail lights (spy 007, etc), though, staying at an avg cost well under 100.
At that average it works out to a reasonable expense. She's benefited from some of the lights and has seen how much some friends are wowed by them, so that helps too.

Biggest problem I have as the liggt count goes up is keeping things straight. I've had to build a spreadsheet. Which ones need high drain, which have low V indicators and are safe with unprotected, which led and tint is in each, etc.

blindedbythenight

Enlightened
I was able to convince my wife it was $5000 cars plus cost of restoring or $50 flashlights plus the cost of batteries.

But basically I spend extra money on my hobbies. Money most spend on internet, cable tv, eating take out at lunch and new car payments I spend on hobbies.

I do not watch tv, use my phone for a hot spot, carry a cooler everyday and have a company truck (with a gas card)... I learned those tricks while paying child support. Well I still live like I'm still paying child support. The money that used to pay for my ex to vacation in resorts now goes to Elzetta, Malkoff, PKDL, Streamlight and eBay sellers who sell antique flashlights...

So it kinda comes down to priorities... at least for this flashaholic.
I like the "yes but i could be spending so much more on....." method.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hear what you are saying as I have to justify to myself the number of lights I have. Like any hobby it can be taken to extremes. Some of us have a very modest collection and yet we all seem to fit in at CPF.

markr6

Flashaholic
$50-90 here and there stays under the radar. I'm not sneaky about it; but I don't advertise it either. They usually all look the same to non-flashaholics. I sell more than I buy now. I'm really feeling better having fewer, higher quality lights. I just don't like having stuff around I don't use. I finally realized I just don't use most of my lights much.

The exception is Zebralights. They can probably put cat poop in a bag and I'll throw $90 at it just because it's on that spreadsheet :)

Last edited:

blindedbythenight

Enlightened
$50-90 here and there stays under the radar. I'm not sneaky about it; but I don't advertise it either. They usually all look the same to non-flashaholics. I sell more than I buy now. I'm really feeling better having fewer, higher quality lights. I just don't like having stuff around I don't use. I finally realized I just don't use most of my lights much.

The exception is Zebralights. They can probably put cat poop in a bag and I'll throw $90 at it just because it's on that spreadsheet :)
I want a zebralight but the very reason holding me back is as discussed...I can't justify another torch that does the same as the others I have...just because it has a different name....or can I?

ven

Flashaholic
Easy to justify, throw type, flood type, EDC type, work type, home type........could go on. Then you have UI, different types for different uses and different LED's. From this different K / different tints for various uses.

The ZL can be justified by the technology, the size/output ratio and having the choice of a neutral LED , latest one at that(xhp35 HI). As you fed up with cheap lights packing in on you(wink wink), so you want to invest in a light that will last you a life time(thats a month for a flashaholic but the wife wont know that). The uses you have in mind could be life/death(especially if your working on electrical stuff) or out at night ...............

Buy, take the beating, if you get silent treatment then keep the buying up :laughing: All will blow over and you have your ZL, still soften the blow a little with a gift for the wife;) Or just get it delivered to your works address.............

After all " whats the big deal, its only a torch!" ................cost of a pair of shoes(or less).

;)

blindedbythenight

Enlightened
Easy to justify, throw type, flood type, EDC type, work type, home type........could go on. Then you have UI, different types for different uses and different LED's. From this different K / different tints for various uses.

The ZL can be justified by the technology, the size/output ratio and having the choice of a neutral LED , latest one at that(xhp35 HI). As you fed up with cheap lights packing in on you(wink wink), so you want to invest in a light that will last you a life time(thats a month for a flashaholic but the wife wont know that). The uses you have in mind could be life/death(especially if your working on electrical stuff) or out at night ...............

Buy, take the beating, if you get silent treatment then keep the buying up :laughing: All will blow over and you have your ZL, still soften the blow a little with a gift for the wife;) Or just get it delivered to your works address.............

After all " whats the big deal, its only a torch!" ................cost of a pair of shoes(or less).

;)
Haha someone has life sussed! [emoji41]

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tell anyone with this question that it is better than a heroin habit.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I try to stay within a price range that I feel is affordable and I pass on lights when I think spending is getting out of hand.I joke about it but generally my wife has accepted the hobby and my growing collection.In turn I don't necessarily question her "need" for a new purse or shoes either.Seems like most people like to have unnecessary possessions or collections so it really isn't that unusual other than the fact flashlights aren't commonly sought after by most.When an average dinner for two at a decent chain restaurant is costing over $50 spending $90 for a Zebralight doesn't seem all that radical to me.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
The best solution has virtually nothing to do with flashlights IMO: I have my bank account, she has her bank account, and we have our joint account. Makes for a happy life.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right now, I am not working due to some medical problems, but since I am not restoring classic muscle cars, buying new or vintage guitars & amps or guns....flashlights seem reasonable. I also sell a number of lights on the side & that money goes straight to PayPal...I also have a small business where I make custom pens on the side. Right now my entire wood workshop is in storage, once moved and my broken knee replacement is replaced I will start up again. Then the bartering with lights, pens & knives begins again. I have a couple of knives I am making, but it will be a couple of years until I have the quality to a level I would be willing to sell or trade...I also have an awesome wife who realizes that while I am trapped at home with a broken knee, CPF & lights are my main form of entertainment & enjoyment...not to mention I am a bit of a prepper & anytime there has been a crisis, we have always been well prepared and avoid suffering(In the Coachella Valley, temps of 125 degrees are an emergency in a power failure)...

irongate

Enlightened
Being retired and having been married for 38 years, we both have our own back accounts. I never question her on what she buys-what ever it may be and she trust me the same way. Being in home building if I needed a new saw then I would get one and no problems. I try to limit my buying of lights of what I really need to have around the house and so forth.Yes since coming here the collection has increased somewhat-LOL So this is my hobby now. I don't watch TV, so that cuts out that bill. My only other project is my Jeep and well that's another story.

ven

Flashaholic
The best solution has virtually nothing to do with flashlights IMO: I have my bank account, she has her bank account, and we have our joint account. Makes for a happy life.

+1 exactly the same kestrel , well working on the happy life part anyway!

Does make life easier for sure .