UKE 4AA eLED

K-T

*Moderator*
I want one, too - in case you find a souce keep us updated. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Funny they don't mention the expected lumens for the 5W eLED lamps though they do say 30 lumens for the 1W 4AA eLED.

"almost contant brightness when used with rechargeable batteries". Sounds more like the power circuit is relying on the flat discharge curve of rechargeables rather than fancy electronics to regulate the light. Another point: the C4 loses only about 1hr runtime to the C8. And the part number for the LED module is the same in both the C4 and C8 lamps, even though it needs a stepup in the C4 and a stepdown in the C8.

What does it all mean/imply? Stepup/stepdown circuit (like in Surefire KL1? Poor stepup efficiency or poor stepdown efficiency?

Actually biggest question is: What do they do with the heat, considering that the SF KL4 (my first experience with a 5W LS) gets plenty hot running off about 650mA?

03lab

Enlightened
From what I have read, it does sound like it uses regulation. Even the UK 2AAA eLED has regulation, so I don't see why it shouldn't be in the bigger models. I'm already looking forward to a review, this will be an exciting year.

http://209.126.200.52/news.htm

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
At least with the 1 Watt units, the specs sound a lot like an Everled, which has a wide input voltage range and thermal sensing, allowing it to survive in plastic hosts. If they're not using the Everled itself, maybe they're licensing the Everled electronics or have reverse engineered the circuit.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
14830 1-Watt eLED Lamp/Reflector (for models UK4AA-ASLED, MQ40, UKE2L, UK4AA-AS2R and UK2AA-AS2R)

This looks PROMISING!

I'd GLADLY put an LED in my UK4AAAS2 and never look back!!!

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man, I LOVE the form factor of my UK 4AA AS2 light!
It is the most compact 4AA light out there with a great switch!

It is definitely my favorite "Big" light!

If the price isn't crazy on the LED lamp module, I'll definitely be getting one! Otherwise, I'll just keep going with my MiniMag BB400 combo.

BrightGuy doesn't seem to have these yet...but I do see they have the PT Impact XL now for $29 (apparently not regulated). The UK LED module would be pretty neat to have 'cause it sounds like it would fit into either the 4AA or the 2L lights (both neat form factors).

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
However, it IS in a plastic body. I wonder of the heat transfer.

paulr

Flashaholic
If they're using 4 cells, it's probably not regulated. Otherwise they'd have a 1 watt head for the 2AA light. It's cool that it will fit on the 2L though.

I've been wondering for a while whether a Surefire KL4 or KL5 head could somehow be mounted onto a UKE 4AA or SL4 body. My idea had been to simply epoxy some adapter ring onto the body threads, with a soldered connection from the adapter ring to the light's internal ground strap. I guess a low cost 1W head is pretty good too, but I'll probably stay with the 2 watt xenon head on my 2L, which is brighter and probably has narrower focus. The main attraction of the 1 watt LED head would seem to be long runtime with four AA's.

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is a place that carries the 4AA eLED for $36.25

It is the only place I could find.

UK 4AA - eLED $36.25

It's not an insane price compared to the PT Impact XL for $29...but I'd like it to be a little less. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
That place is charging an awful lot for the 4aa incans, so when TTS and Brightguy have the eLED, maybe it will be proportionately less from them.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
ikendu said: UK 4AA - eLED $36.25 It's not an insane price compared to the PT Impact XL for $29...but I'd like it to be a little less. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Right, especially considering it has a side emitter, with reflector.

-Another thing that's nice is that this new light uses easily available AA cells, but without the undesirable extra length that 3 or 4 AAs usually requires. There are those of us who will Never be fond of the 123 cell.

-I'm definitely interested in this one.

Raven

Enlightened
Great, and I just bought a streamlight 4aa 7led (sigh).

The big question is what type of regulation this light has.

Raven

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
If they're using 4 cells, it's probably not regulated. Otherwise they'd have a 1 watt head for the 2AA light.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good steady regulation is a lot easier when stepping down than when stepping up. With 6V going in and the LED only needing 3.6V, I'm guessing it should have pretty good regulation. But the 2AA light will need a stepup, then a regulation circuit on top of that.

OTOH, they did a pretty good job with the 2AAA. I'm sure they are working on a more robust design that will handle the increased power demands of the LS. They may be introducing it slowly so as not to flood their market niche and not swamp their manufacturing department. Afterall, the 2AA came out only recently and they have released the C4 and C8 5W eLEDs in short succession and this was almost immediately after releasing the 4AA eLED. I don't think anyone else has done something like this. Think of how many pieces you have to build to satisfy your world market.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
"Unique eLED circuitry maintains constant brightness for over 11 hours with 4 fresh alkaline AA-cells" That strongly suggests regulation
[
"Burntime 10-12hrs / low>80hrs on 4AA alkalines"

"30+ lumens" Very high for 1W, 20% less than the xenon 4AA, Mini Q-40 and 2L which are rated at 37.7 Lumens.

20% - 36% higher than the LSH-P which is rated at 22-25 lumens. And it sustains this level for 10-12 hours on 4AA alkalines.

Really? Are these figures to be taken seriously or is this yet another example of "benign exaggeration" so common in our field?

Brightnorm

paulr

Flashaholic
Well, let's say the lumen rating is overstated, just like it is for the 2L (rating is for the emitter only, not the whole light). If it's using a Downboy-like regulator, that can be more efficient than the boost converter in the LSH. The P flux Luxeons that were premium when the LSH-P came out aren't anything special these days. Plus, it could be overdriving the led a little. So maybe it makes 20 real lumens, not bad. An AA alkaline has maybe 3.5 WH of energy so four of them would have 14 WH. At 1.2 watts, the 10-12 hour figure is again sort of believable. What does "low 80 hours" mean? Does the light have a low setting?! Or does it just mean a long decaying tail with the light running out of regulation.

I have a 2AAA eLED and it's actually pretty nice. I did a runtime test with 700 mAH NiMH AAA's and it left regulation after 12 hours or so. It claims 20 hours with alkalines, and I guess I believe it.

This light will probably be under $25 discounted. That's the cheapest regulated Luxeon light I've heard of yet. I'm pretty interested. In fact, runtime should be 5-6 hours on a 2L. Sounds like a pretty nice alternative to an E2e/KL1 combo.