Dedome my SC52w for science?

amanichen

Enlightened
Oops, this is what happens when you get a little curious. What do you think ladies and gents? Should I dedome for science? I've always wanted a Zebra with a little more throw.

EDIT: I used the yellow tool (its some type of soldering pick) in the first photo to very carefully work both the pointy and flat ends along the inner edge of retaining ring along the glass until the ring worked loose. The glass is only a couple of mm thick so you cant really use it for leverage. Everything is press fit so no glue or threads. The reflector sits on a shelf in the body, and never touches the LED (no butterly spacer required). The o-ring helps hold the reflector into place, and then the retaining ring presses the glass up against the o-ring, forming a seal between the glass and body. It's a pretty neat setup, just difficult to open.

20160901_212940_zpsiorn4q7l.jpg

20160901_213003_RichtoneHDR_zps2u5k93a1.jpg

If I go through with it, I'm going to use methyl acetate (non-acetone nail polish remover). I'm 4 for 4 recently using it to dedome a XP-E, two XP-G2s, and a XM-L. I'm thinking of using a small bottle cap, and filling it enough that the SC52w can sit upside down in it, so that only the dome is in the liquid.

Sep 3rd Update

The LED is now bathing in the nail polish remover. I ended up using the cap from a travel-size toothpaste tube. The outside of the cap is recessed and is deep enough to hold some of the liquid, and fully submerge the emitter. I filled the cap to the top, and then lowered the SC52 over it; the excess liquid displaced by the dome simply runs over the top, and completely bathes the emitter without contacting the other electronics or the potting inside of the flashlight. Wish me luck (I hope that I can remove all the liquid that will seep between the bottom of the emitter and the circuit board before I apply power.)

20160903_220114_RichtoneHDR_zpsdlx9u8iu.jpg

20160903_220151_RichtoneHDR_zpsjfithi4z.jpg

Sep 4th Update - Dome off!

After a lot of bathing, and some very careful toothpick work, the dome finally let go from the phosphor, and I was able to scrape off the last pieces of it. I tried my best to leave the ESD wire and two bond wires intact. The two non-wire corners of the phosphor look a little thin, and I think I made a small nick in the center of the phosphor, but hopefully they won't affect the tint too much.

I have NOT powered it on yet.

I hit it with a hair dryer for a minute to help drive off any moisture that made it between the LED and the circuit board. It's not dark here yet, so I'll give it a few more hours to dry, and then I'll stick in an Eneloop and see what happens. If it works then I'll have some before and after beamshots up later. If it doesn't work, well I haven't thought that far ahead yet!

20160904_171946_RichtoneHDR-1_zpsnai8embl.jpg

Sep 4th Evening Update - Some blue in the beam, but it at least works

I definitely nicked the phosphor on a couple of the edges. There's some blue artifacts on the beam when white-wall hunting,

The beam is also way more yellow-brown now (as to be expected with a dedome). This mod is probably better done using the cool version of the LED so that the tint ends up at neutral, instead of starting at neutral and ending up warm.

It'll be dark in a couple of hours, so I'll do the before and after beamshots then.

20160904_184643-1_zps1dsdcuqy.jpg

I'll post beamshots after it gets dark.

Beamshots

Taken at about a 20 foot distance.

Olight M2X L2 Dedome XM-L2

Olight%20M2X%20L2%20Dedome_zpsntc0ysru.jpg

Convoy S2, XP-G2 Dedome, 1.9 Amp, SMO Reflector
Convoy%20S2%20XP-G2%20Dedome%20SMO%201.9%20Amp_zpsywz2bi5f.jpg

Zebralight SC62w
Zebralight%20SC62w%20Stock_zpsgumoknj4.jpg

SC52w Stock
Zebralight%20SC52W%20Stock_zpsr7ktmqi7.jpg

SC52w Dedomed
SC52w%20Dedomed_zps9xzbnrnq.jpg

Initial Thoughts

The dedomed SC52w definitely has more throw than stock. It's not a dedicated thrower by any means, but it has noticeably more reach when I shine it on nearby houses.

This comes at the expense of a very warm beam color (and losing a bit of phosphor which gives it some angry blue when white wall hunting). On any other surface, and outside, the tint is acceptable.

I think next time I'll use a cool white version to help compensate for the very warm tint and the yellow-green hotspot that the early SC52 models were famous for.

This mod was very difficult with applying solvent in-place and removing the dome (in small chunks) inside of the body. Next time I'll have to be more careful with the solvent, and be more careful with the toothpick. Maybe I'll switch to a different solvent next time, and give it more bathing time to hopefully let the silicone better de-adhere from the phosphor.

I'll try to get some woods shots another night.

Last edited:

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why not? Easy to get another one if you decide to go back without replacing the emitter. Certainly once done it's special so makes no sense to reverse it again So as long as you can buy a replacement if needed I'd give it a try.

Azhobo

Newly Enlightened
DO IT. I've put together a 62 with a small emitter and a frosty and I think it's the best beam I own. I wish they'd make all their lights with xhp35 hi emitters. If this works out you'll have to mod a 63 for me. I've thought about shaving one but it would be tricky.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can pull it off it will be quite interesting. Before and after as mentioned is a necessity :twothumbs

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking forward to the results! Did you take before pics for us? If you can pull this off it would be awesome!

amanichen

Enlightened
I checked the dome this morning and it was still firm. Most of the liquid evaporated overnight (or crawled out via capillary action), so I refilled it the cap and I'm going to check on it throughout the day to see if I can get the dome to soften.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow very nice, looking forward to seeing the beamshot comparison. What do you think so far? Also how did you remove the lens and retaining ring to access the inside of the light?

amanichen

Enlightened
Beamshots up!

Wow very nice, looking forward to seeing the beamshot comparison. What do you think so far? Also how did you remove the lens and retaining ring to access the inside of the light?

The yellow tool in the first photo is something that came with a cheap radio shack soldering iron I bought about 10 years ago. It is thin enough and stiff enough that I was able to very carefully work both the pointy and flat ends along the retaining ring until it worked loose. Everything is press fit. The reflector sits on a shelf in the body, and never touches the LED (no butterly spacer required). The o-ring helps hold the reflector into place, and then the retaining ring presses the glass up against the o-ring, forming a seal between the glass and body. It's a pretty neat setup, just difficult to open.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks good so far, but maybe a target at 50ft with a little more detail will give a better idea of the change. What do you think? Looks light there is still plenty of spill remaining so it should be good for dark trails.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice beamshots, I can definitely see the increased throw from the dedoming. A cool white one would also be interesting to see in the future :) Now this makes me want to take apart one of mine lol.

amanichen

Enlightened
Looks good so far, but maybe a target at 50ft with a little more detail will give a better idea of the change. What do you think? Looks light there is still plenty of spill remaining so it should be good for dark trails.

The spill is still quite usable. The even floodiness is of course gone, but the light is much more useful outdoors now, but still works in a dark clutered room (such as my garage).

Even the beam on the SC62w at max is too spread out to really punch down the paved trail near my house; you get distracted with the overly broad spill hitting the trees and foliage and can't see much beyond 50 feet. I usually carry my custom Convoy S2 (with a 18350 body to keep it compact) or the Olight M2X in this situation. Both lights still have enough spill that I can avoid tripping, and I can always bring a headlamp if I need good close up illumination.

Last edited: