led or incandescent ..poll

led or incandescent

• Total voters

raggie33

*the raggedier*
<FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/dopoll.php"><INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1075733134raggie33">

led or incandescent
<input type="radio" name="option" value="1" />led
<input type="radio" name="option" value="2" />incandescent

raggie33

*the raggedier*
led because i see more potential for them ....
i cant edit it to get rid of mistake i thought i had it but didnt so please vote in my reply.all the practice and i still messed it up lol

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Trouble maker /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif How am I suppose to decide this one? I edc the the A2 so I have both. I think that currently the incans have an edge for throw, and width potential, but as the LED,s get better with longer throw, I could see losing the incans.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i guess i like both 2 but i dont think they can do much more with incandescent .i think leds have a long way to grow yet.plus they seem to hold up better if droped.but i agree on throw incandescent seem to be ahead for now

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
Raggie33.......what about a "both"? I use both for different reasons. There's no way I could choose one over the other, at least not at this point.

How's Max and friend, and where did the camera go?

Mike

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i'm a LED guy myself..
i haven't been in a situation where i needed more throw than i have available from my Blaster 3.. i mean, it's got the same output as a 3D Maglite, except it'll stay that bright for 12 hours instead of the 3D Maglite's few hours..
maybe if the situation comes up i'll change my tune.. but for now i just keep a 750,000cp spotlight in my car and carry all LED lights (with the odd man out being a PT40)..

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like bright lights. So far, lights with more than 100 or 200 lumens are more appropriately incandescent. Further, while LEDs are less efficient when they are overdriven, incandescents become more efficient.

Don't get me wrong, there is a calm and confident quality about LED lights that is really appealing. And the outputs of LEDs will no doubt climb in the years ahead.

But if you want scorching, gut-wrenching, blinding brilliance, there is nothing as exciting as the golden, scintillating blast from a high power overdriven hot wire.

Paul

Darell

Flashaholic
L E D

For nostalgia I still have an original E2 that I haven't messed with - though I AM using the body for a PR-T head with a luxIII right now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bill.H

Enlightened
I believe LEDs have all the advantages except in really high power lights - and they're catching up fast! I don't see myself purchasing an incandescent ever again unless I were to need a spotlight.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
well, lets consider some pros and cons of leds, as opposed to incandescants. these are only some, and may even be fairly subjective to opinion:
led pros
*more efficient
*more durable
*generally whiter
*color options
*no heat in beam
*may not require reflectors (in the case of 5mm types)
*may not require lens (in the case of 5mm types)
*can be effectively (and fairly easily) made to work in clusters of more than one
*may have smoother beam (depending on led used)

led cons:
*may require heatsinking
*may not work as well outdoors
*may require curcuitry to power
*generally more expensive (initially)
*generally do not have the same throw capabilities (of course this varies greatly depending on a large number of factors)
*may require more intricate mounting mechanisms
*subject to inconsistancy from unit to unit
*may require larger/more complicated optical systems to achieve longer throwing beams
*beam patterns may be blotchy (5mm types, even the new non-luxeon high flux leds)

those are only some that i could think of off the top of my head. those are mainly issues present to a modder. businesesses have it far worse in most cases.

i didn't bother writing the pros and cons of incandescants, because you can probably just look at the flipside of the led pros and cons...

raggie33

*the raggedier*
[ QUOTE ]
_Mike_ said:
Raggie33.......what about a "both"? I use both for different reasons. There's no way I could choose one over the other, at least not at this point.

How's Max and friend, and where did the camera go?

Mike

[/ QUOTE ]yeah i should of did the both otion didnt think of thati use both

stockwiz

Enlightened
LED lights. I'm a sucker for cool white or pure white lights, and find warm white lights unattractive. I like the subtle blue hue projected by a TWAK implanted into a Mag 3D light or the almost pure white put out by the Electrolumens FT3C.

The best LED flashlights for all around and outdoor use are still limited to modders of the CPF community however. Few are willing to make those far throwing monsters at reasonable prices because of the chance of the LED overheating, being overdriven, and prematurely burning out.
Most of the bigger manufacturers are making smaller less bright lights and focusing on cr123 batteries. Thanks to electrolumens, hotbeam, and others for filling that niche market that loves bigger, longer running super bright LED lights that take C or D batteries /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Light Emmitting Diodes for me!
5mm for dim needs, 1W Lux for medium needs, 1W McFlood for flood beam and Mad Max+ powered R2H Luxeon LEDs in the ole' Mag 2D for throw.
Considering I have no use for a 500 lumen hot wire, LEDs fulfill the lighting needs for me.