Brightness-Runtime Test (LSH vs Arc4 vs Arc4x)

Status
Not open for further replies.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I just got the word from home that my package arrived which contains a new Arc4 with the most recent version of software + my Arc4x that also contains the lastest version. Over the next few nights, I plan on peforming comparative runtime tests of each light, using the LM631. I'll use the same criteria for all 3-lights, plot them to scale, and post the results here. This is going to be very interesting I think.

Stay tuned.

Edit #1:

OK, let's set the stage. Here's the constants and particulars of the testing.

- LM631 light meter is being used. There is an inverted white-colored film canaster that rests on top of the light sensor. The sensor is set to foot-candles, on the setting just before the 10x setting.
- SureFire 123-cells registering 3.27 volts without a load are used.
- The lights are resting on the canaster and is not moved or touched throughout the testing.
- The light is set to Level-1.
- Measurements were taken at the 5-minute interval, at the top of each minute.

I will probably run each test for 2.5 hours. The intent is to measure the Arc4-X first, then the Arc4, then the LSH-P and finally a second Arc4.

Edit #2:

OK, here's the 1st runtime test of the Arc4-X light. I won't get to another test tonight. That will need to wait until tomorrow night.

Edit #3:

Alrighty then, here's the completed chart with the Arc4x, Arc4+ and LSH lights. I ran each test 2.5 hours as noted earlier. Each light had a brand new SF 123-cell that measured exactly 3.27 volts (no load). None of the lights were held, touched or moved while the test was occurring, so I can comment on heat, etc. As another point-of-reference, an ARC-AAA loaded with a fresh cell would yield "90" on this chart.

Edit #4:

A plot has been added to the graph to display the 2.5 hour test of the Arc4x which starts on Level-4.

Edit #5:

A plot has been added to the graph to display the 2.5 hour test of the Arc4+ which starts on Level-4.

Edit #6:

A plot has been added to the graph to display the 2.5 hour test of the Arc4x which starts on Level-3.

Edit #7:

A plot has been added to the graph to display the 2.5 hour test of the FireFly with a MM+ wide-open running an R2H 1-watt LED. The FireFly does not fair well at all when compared to these other lights/settings, however I included it for comparision purposes.

Edit #8:

A plot has been added to the graph to display the 2.5 hour test of the LSH-P.

Edit #9:

A plot has been added to the graph to display the 2.5 hour test of the LSH-F, which has been modified with a Lux-III, Fraen optics and power increase to 667 mA.

Edit #10:

A plot has been added to the graph to display the 2.5 hour test of the LSH-F, which has been modified with a Lux-III, Fraen optics and power increase to 833 mA.

ARC-LS-1.jpg

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*
Do not speak about it, do it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif
It is forbidden to make desire with the small comrades. Thank you to not publish the results of the ARC4X. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif
Great idea TIN. We stay tuned /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
i wait with bated breath /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Mr. Blue

Enlightened
a good brushing will help that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

chiaroscuro

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
FrenchyLed said:
Do not speak about it, do it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif
It is forbidden to make desire with the small comrades. Thank you to not publish the results of the ARC4X. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif
Great idea TIN. We stay tuned /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

quoi?

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL mr blue! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif typo has been edited /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

note to those without a clue: i spelt "bated" as "baited" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
T_I_N, just got word as well that my package is waiting at Fedex to be picked up. Got my 4X and 4+ in the same package. NICE!!. Will be looking forward to your feedback. I don't have any of the light meter stuff so can't do the same tests as you. Oh well.

Enjoy and get home so you can start using the lights.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Currently, the testing of the Arc4-X is underway. I'll post a more detailed commentary later. I will say this. Level-1 only lasted for 5-minutes of continuous useage. I think that's an important piece of data for those who are biting at the bit to purchase one of these.

Fastlane

Newly Enlightened
Good to know. Is Level-2 on the 4x still brighter than Level-1 on the 4+, or at what level does the brightness of the 4x equal the 4+ Level-1?

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
this_is_nascar said:
Currently, the testing of the Arc4-X is underway. I'll post a more detailed commentary later. I will say this. Level-1 only lasted for 5-minutes of continuous useage. I think that's an important piece of data for those who are biting at the bit to purchase one of these.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I was wondering.

Could you get anymore run-time at level 1 after cooldown? Or does 5 minutes run the battery down far enough were it will not recover.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Fastlane and Sean, I can't answer those questions yet, as it will interfere with what's in process. I didn't do any of those "this Arc4x level equals that level on the Arc4". That will occur later.

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Arc4X arrived today. Did not receive my Arc4+ so I can't do any comparo tests for brightness etc. I will only be keeping one. I will have to wait until I get my 4+ or until T_I_N gets all his tests done and starts to do the comparo tests between the 4+ and the 4x.

Dan C

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
this_is_nascar said:
Level-1 only lasted for 5-minutes of continuous useage. I think that's an important piece of data for those who are biting at the bit to purchase one of these.

[/ QUOTE ]

For me, the desireability of this light just took a drastic nosedive! Thanks for the info. Like many, I tried hard to get one of these the second the clock hit 9:00am, and was disappointed to miss out.

But five minutes runtime at what probably amounts to one level brighter for $275? I'll pass!

Dan C

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I understand Dan. That's why I wanted to get the data posted as quickly as possible. It should be noted that these results are particular to my Arc4-X and only one test has been performed. Like all LED lights, the results between lights may vary.

Fastlane

Newly Enlightened
nascar, I must say you deserved one of the first 4x lights because you are taking the time and effort to do this comparison for the benefit of the forum. After the initial drop, the output is very even for over an hour. The data from the other lights will be very interesting to compare.
thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
Ray, just for completeness sake, if you have a Duracell Ultra to test with, I wonder whether level 1 holds up any longer than with the SF123. Did you notice if the light got hot during that 5 minutes?

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I don't have any fresh-out-of-the box Duracells, but I'll see about picking a couple up. As I mentioned up top, I didn't touch the light in fear of moving it and skewing the data. Even if the Duracell added 5-minutes (I strongly doubt that it will), 10-minutes is not much time at all for Level-1.

Status
Not open for further replies.