Monthly budget for lights?

Doug

Enlightened
Do you guys have a monthly budget for lights? If so, how much, and how did you decide on that amount? Thanks!

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
I try my best to behave and only buy a light if I REALLY want it. Most of mine are for work. My two purchases this year have been an Armytek Wizard Pro, and have just pre-ordered the ZL SC600MKIII FD PLUS.

I thoroughly enjoy this forum and definitely have a pulse on what's going on in the flashlight world. But with 4 kids and a wife that stays home, I enjoy the looking as much as the purchasing. In short, I buy what I want but I try to make sure there is a need woven into the purchase as well. Next probable purchase will be the R50 Pro! :twothumbs I try to wait till something ground breaking is released before I pull the trigger.

saypat

Enlightened
I have spent around $2,000 in the 5 years I have had this stupid addiction. I said I would QUIT after my 3rd light, then my 10th. Then I said I would quit after $500, then $1000. And I have a very logical mind, so this makes no sense. I have around 90 lights presently. They are everywhere I look. I have a lot of will power also. My most expensive light was a custom one at $150. I bought a Vn light for $75. I would like to get rid of about 80 of them! HELP!

TCY

Enlightened
I told myself to only get high CRI lights, so this immediately kicks 99% of the flashlights out there out of the market and I don't have to buy them all. I'm so smart:twothumbs

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
My advice for all addictions: Are you doing more, and enjoying it less? Maybe you should try cutting down! I mean, I'm not telling you what to do. I just saying, you know, maybe.

On the other hand, if you are still having fun, ...

Getting serious now: the sad truth is that they wouldn't be called additions if you could simply "cut down." If your flashlight collecting has extended beyond your discretionary budget, then you should probably seek help from a loved one.

Writer Philip K. **** acknowledged that hitting bottom, and somehow surviving, was the only way he was able to quit his drug addiction. A personal choice to quit is essential. Hitting bottom is what gave **** the motivation to make that choice. You can't help an addict who does not want help.

Last edited:

wolfgaze

Enlightened
I told myself to only get high CRI lights, so this immediately kicks 99% of the flashlights out there out of the market and I don't have to buy them all. I'm so smart:twothumbs

Haha good strategy... I'm kinda in a similar boat...

oKtosiTe

Enlightened
For your sake, I hope it remains a niche. Nah, who am I kidding. More high CRI, please!

Impossible lumens

Enlightened
Acebeam makes it difficult. So does Vinh. Online Chinese retailors are no walk in the park either you know. While I don't draw lines in the sand, I do have to continue to take measures to check myself and not be impulsive.

Marfenix

Newly Enlightened
I do not have a monthly budget. I visit this website several times a day and read up about the latest lights and specs. If i want a light i get it. Usually don't spend more than $150 for a flashlight.

markr6

Flashaholic
No real budget...just a lot of patience. I wait, wait, wait, then when something good comes along it makes it easier to pull the trigger. Even then I still usually research them well and try to wait for a deal.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
I try not to think about it LOL . once in a while I see a light I can't live without and I will make the buy asap. other times I wait for a good deal, plan and save. I'd like to get that Nextorch green/white P5G next..........

jskelton

Newly Enlightened
Not really. I keep a stash of cash in PayPal at all times for my "play fund" so that I never spend family money on my hobbies (of which I have many). This way the wife never gets angry about what I spend, and it never cuts into necessities.

I have spent as much as $3500 in a week on lights, and at other times I talk myself out of even a small purchase. It depends on the light and the availability. Since I really only buy custom lights, sometimes I don't have control over when I buy. If a maker opens up their books, or a collector is listing a specific light up for sale, I can't tell myself to hold off for a week because I may lose the opportunity altogether.

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have spent as much as $3500 in a week on lights...

I'd love to hear what lights you purchased that week.

My largest single light purchase [$3k] was the Surefire Beast II when it was first released.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
No real budget...just a lot of patience. I wait, wait, wait, then when something good comes along it makes it easier to pull the trigger. Even then I still usually research them well and try to wait for a deal.

Based on your posting here, I also gather that you sell the old stuff to make room for the new. Obviously, you take a small hit when you sell a flashlight that is relatively new. Another way to look at it, however, is that you are getting some money out while you still can. Keeps the inventory down, and "sunk" capital, as well.

It also means that you get to enjoy trying out a lot of flashlights that most of us only read about.

Yours is a nice approach for the non-collector.

markr6

Flashaholic
Based on your posting here, I also gather that you sell the old stuff to make room for the new. Obviously, you take a small hit when you sell a flashlight that is relatively new. Another way to look at it, however, is that you are getting some money out while you still can. Keeps the inventory down, and "sunk" capital, as well.

It also means that you get to enjoy trying out a lot of flashlights that most of us only read about.

Yours is a nice approach for the non-collector.

I had a lot of zebralights at one point, but just cleared them out to keep a few. Same with all the big lights that were cool on paper, but just not used in real life.

jskelton

Newly Enlightened
I'd love to hear what lights you purchased that week.

My largest single light purchase [$3k] was the Surefire Beast II when it was first released.

Cool Fall Spy 007 Sapphire, Tain Damascus Aura, Tain Ti Aura, Hanko Twisted Ti Trident, LUX-RC FL33.
It was actually almost $4k now that I look at it.

Ghost_sk

Newly Enlightened
I have started several years ago (5-6) and my first buy was Solarforce L2N. I sill keep this light as remember but since then I have spend maybe ...200-250€. I have maybe 6-7 lights and I am trying to wait and find som good deal (coupon or something like that) so I dont have monthly budget. For example I bought Olight S30 Baton for 20€ and since than I really like Olight flashlightes (my favourite is S1 Baton,it is still with me :rolleyes:)

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
No monthly budget for me. I limit my spending by not buying what I don't like.

Let me rephrase that in a positive manner.

I just buy what I like/what I am excited about.