Single AA headlamp: any recommendations?

hutten

Newly Enlightened
Hey everyone

Quick introduction about myself: I've been a member here for a while, but kind of stay in the background, choosing to appreciate the insane wealth of information this forum offers rather than pretend I know anything about anything. Big into outdoors activities (camping, climbing, etc.) Generally, I'm not a collector, so I try find one thing that suits my purposes perfectly before purchasing.

So, with that in mind, I'm looking for a headlamp.

Criteria:
Preferred single AA: due to availability of batteries practically anywhere, and compact form factor that a single AA would offer
Both white and red light: yes, I know, a low white light doesn't affect night vision much, but I would still like a workable red light for up close work.
Red light should be easily accessible: I don't want to have to rotate through white light modes to get to red light.
Floody beam essential, secondary focused beam would be an asset but not a requirement.
Beam tint is less important, but if a neutral tint is possible with my criteria, that would be a bonus.
A crazy amount of output is not a requirement either. That's what I would use maybe a handheld or other dedicated light for.
Durability: I'm not going to abuse it, but outdoor pursuits are somewhat "rough and tumble" so it has to be durable.

I've looked at a lot of companies: Fenix (some possibilities, but none are perfect), Surefire ($$$), Xtar H1 (concerned about quality), Armytek (no red and white lights together), Zebralight (same as Armytek), etc.

Currently, the closest to my requirements is the Nitecore HA20, but it uses 2 AA's.

Finally, my experience has been solely Petzl, Princeton Tec, and Black Diamond. They are all "ok", but all 3x AAA. I am trying to get away from that form factor, for battery power levels and to consolidate my equipment - my GPS uses AA, handheld lights use AA, and a lot of other stuff as well.

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the responses in advance, as well as all the other threads that I have read on this forum.

Last edited:

Led Astray

Newly Enlightened
Not sure where you will find a combo including a red light in AA.

If you can do without the red, I have a Spark SG5 in NW which is meets your other criteria with a 1 lumen minimum and 3 other levels of brightness plus a turbo.

It also has 2 interchangeable screw-in lenses one which is pretty much all flood, the other slightly more focussed - depends on your usage which you will find more suitable.

hutten

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the input guys. I was really hoping to find a headlamp with a red light somewhere. Maybe I'll have to change my criteria, but for now I'll keep looking.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the input guys. I was really hoping to find a headlamp with a red light somewhere. Maybe I'll have to change my criteria, but for now I'll keep looking.

Please post here if you find something. There used to be some lights like that made, but I have not found anything like it for a while.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure where you will find a combo including a red light in AA.

If you can do without the red, I have a Spark SG5 in NW which is meets your other criteria with a 1 lumen minimum and 3 other levels of brightness plus a turbo.

It also has 2 interchangeable screw-in lenses one which is pretty much all flood, the other slightly more focussed - depends on your usage which you will find more suitable.

Thanks for pointing out that headlamp. I wish it were a simple knob though instead of those multi stage clicky type.

Last edited:

D6859

Enlightened
My Xtar H1 broke when I tried to use too long 14500 in it and it started flickering. It now works as a bedside table lamp. Otherwise the headlamp was good, but it has pretty tight beam. I use it with a DIY scotch tape diffuser.

Btw, here's my review on Nitecore HA20. Again, I preferred it with a DIY diffuser.

I use Armytek Tiara A1 Pro (v1). I really like it and with the two firefly modes I haven't felt need for a red light.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently ran across the under water kinetics Vizion I headlamp. It is not a "knock your socks off" light and is AAA, but it does have an interesting and simply way to implement flood, focused, and red light use. I might pick one up.

gunga

Flashaholic
I just got a neutral thrunite th20. Overall its nice but I find the beam sickly green. I'd mod it but can't get it open using non- destructive methods.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just picked up the same as gunga. Definitely a neutral led but mine is a nice warm color, not green

radiopej

Enlightened
Not a fan of the mode spacing on the Thrunite. I also find most XP-L HI are green at lower settings. Klarus seems to avoid this, so I think it's up to the manufacturer in the use of nicer emitters rather than avoid problems with all emitters.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got a neutral thrunite th20. Overall its nice but I find the beam sickly green. I'd mod it but can't get it open using non- destructive methods.

Did you get cool white or there is something wrong with it. Mine is very warm color.

gunga

Flashaholic
Nope neutral. Warm with a bit too much green. I got a second that had a bit less green. It's a nice headlamp but the tint is still not pleasant.

radiopej

Enlightened
THe mode spacing is like, 0.5 moonlight, 250/500 max and variable 1.5-230. You don't like that?
Oh, my bad - I seem to have misread the mode control. That's pretty clever. I do prefer dedicated modes though. It makes it easier to approximate my battery life. That being said, using AA batteries makes it easier.

kalel332

Newly Enlightened
I have found that using red light, helps you to stay away from the mosquitos and other bugs.

Last edited:

Rainy

Newly Enlightened
A few years ago i was looking for exactly the same criteria as you. Check out the Streamlight Sidewinder 2. It runs on 1AA/1CR123. I run mine on AA and like it.

hutten

Newly Enlightened
Update: I ordered a Zebralight H52Fw. It doesn't fit all my requirements (no red light), but otherwise it is near perfect. I am still on the lookout for my 'perfect' headlamp, but the Zebralight should work for now.