Acebeam EC60 Video Review and Comparison Other Single Cell Thrower & Big Lumen Lights

Impossible lumens

Enlightened
Acebeam EC60 Video Review and Comparison Other Single Cell Thrower & Big Lumen Lights

OK so the whole uploaded re-uploaded video thing has been resolved and it's back to the original video. Only 1 video. Thanks guys, I learn a little. On to my experience with the EC60 and video review.

So I received the EC60 from Acebeam today And I have to say I'm impressed with it as a mid-ranged thrower light with noticeably more lumens than any of the XP-L throwers and noticeably more throw than any of the single cell XHP-50 or XHP-70 lights that have been coming out recently. In my opinion it is this throw and output combination that make the EC60 special as just about every manufacturer has a 26650 or 2x 18650 light out these days. All of these get between 2,000 to 3,000 lumens and all have a rated range of about 300 meters. The EC60 doubles this range @ 600 meters of throw and is still in the range of 2,000 to 3,000 lumens, given it is a 2,000 lumen light.

As I already Own an Olight R50 seeker (XHP-50), Nitecore EC4s (XHP-50), Shadow JM35 (XHP-50), Eagletac MX25l3 (MT-G2), Klarus G30 (MT-G2) which are all single emitter 26650 or 2x/3x 18650 lights, it was easy to single out the EC60 as unique among the pack given none of these other lights fall in the range of 600 meters.
The Tint of the EC60 leaves something to be desired in my opinion. It is a cool white, low CRI which, again in my own opinion, was noticeably unpleasing from the very first time I turned the light on. However, the EC60 did meet or surpass my expectations in regards to other dynamics of the light. The charger works well and it had no trouble charging the included 5,000MAh Acebeam 26650, nor a Keeppower 5,200MAh or a Liitokala 5,000 MAh. The charge indicator is not very bright but you can easily pick up the light or look at it close and see if it indicates red for still charging or green for charging completed. The EC60 in no way distracts from across the room, or any distance, with a blinking or overly bright charge indicator which I liked.
The thermal step down didn't seem to work as I did a test running the light on turbo with a timer to see how long until it would step down. After 03:30 of the light sitting there, I still didn't notice any stepdown from turbo so I turned the light off. The EC60 was scalding hot and couldn't be held at that point and I was worried I may have damaged the LED mounting, some circuitry, or the thermal path with excessive heat but the EC60 was just fine and suffered no apparent damage after it cooled down. I may not have been using the Acebeam "customized" 26650 but rather the unprotected Keeppower when running this test but I'm not sure it's possible for this to make a difference in regards to thermal stepdown.
The spelling was wrong. My EC60 has the Acebeam logo with the spelling Aecbeam. I actually like that it makes this particular sample a bit more unique as Acebeam has likely noticed that their name is misspelled and fixed it by now. Possible it just will identify this as the early, pre-reworked and not improved version of the EC60 too. Time might tell if later samples of this light have subtle improvements or not. I assume they'll at least change the spelling.
All told I definitely like the EC60, however as other members have already commented, if this had a neutral white XHP35 emitter it would be greatly improved in my own opinion.
.Update regarding neutral white I was @ skylumen.com and Vinh has a neutral white version of this light available at very close to Acebeams' current price.

Here is my YouTube EC60 video with lots of beam shot comparisons.
Or directly to YouTube hosting location https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okHMIWrRFOo

Last edited:

Lumenwolf

Enlightened
Re: Acebeam EC60 Video Review and Comparison Other Single Cell Thrower & Big Lumen Li

Brilliant review, thank you. Am thinking this is the better choice over the R50 for me as it throws twice as far and still has some spill. I will hold off for a while though to see what Vinh can do with this bad boy.

maukka

Enlightened
Re: Acebeam EC60 Video Review and Comparison Other Single Cell Thrower & Big Lumen Li

Brilliant review, thank you. Am thinking this is the better choice over the R50 for me as it throws twice as far and still has some spill. I will hold off for a while though to see what Vinh can do with this bad boy.

I think the Olight's best feature is its huge spill that lights everything right in front of you. For general purpose it's probably much better than the EC60. Nothing beats throw in the wowlympics though...

Impossible lumens

Enlightened

You are right that the spill is brighter and more balanced along with the hotspot than your typical dedicated thrower. For close range the blinding hotspot effect is not so bad but still definitely not ideal. I would think that Vinh may hit an immediate thermal barrier in regards to any amperage boosting. However a neutral white xhp35 HI with a slight boost and driver VNx2 would likely be rather awesome in this light. I guess we'll see if he takes on the EC60.

Lumenwolf

Enlightened

I think the Olight's best feature is its huge spill that lights everything right in front of you. For general purpose it's probably much better than the EC60. Nothing beats throw in the wowlympics though...

I need a combination of both throw and spill really as needed for building / garden searches but also longer range like searching in fields and woods. Still can't decide between R50 Vinh spec 1, or the EC50 gen2 / EC60.....would love to but them all but bank balance only allows 1 [emoji16]

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thank you for the review.

I have the Manker U21 also with XHP35-Hi and it is my favorite "Spot" light because of its size. :thumbsup:

Impossible lumens

Enlightened

I have the Manker U21 also with XHP35-Hi and it is my favorite "Spot" light because of its size. :thumbsup:
I like that one too. It is very similar performance to the stock Olight M2x UT but with 26650. The beam of these two lights is very similar. The M2xVN however is noticeably better all round (as to be expected). It's visibly quite apparent the brighter hotspot of the M2xVN. Of course these two are not comparable in regards to price so it takes nothing away from the U21.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast

I like that one too. It is very similar performance to the stock Olight M2x UT but with 26650. The beam of these two lights is very similar. The M2xVN however is noticeably better all round (as to be expected). It's visibly quite apparent the brighter hotspot of the M2xVN. Of course these two are not comparable in regards to price so it takes nothing away from the U21.
+1

jedi_master

Newly Enlightened

Can you test it with the supplied customized battery to see the light does step down properly from turbo. It is a serious concern if it doesn't.

Impossible lumens

Enlightened

Can you test it with the supplied customized battery to see the light does step down properly from turbo. It is a serious concern if it doesn't.
Yes. So I tested it for certain with the stock Acebeam battery and it won't step down. I held it in my hand until it got too hot, about two minutes and it was still running turbo and getting hotter. I will have to get input from other EC60 owners to find out if this is an issue for others, or if I just happened to mistakenly get a driver without a true for thermal stepdown. For me personally it is not really an issue as I can't see using the light on turbo for any purpose while not having it in my hand. If it gets too hot I'll just step it down manually. It's a bit disconcerting though, and I will try to find more information about this as more people start getting this light. If anyone knows anything about this issue, by all means please do comment. Thanks.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast

Impossible lumens: Thanks for a very useful review - the video definitely showed the differences between these lights :thumbsup:.

And that's why I went with a R50vn (shaved dome) over the EC60. For "my" purposes (nightly walks along the foothills behind my house) I like decent throw and a huge spill to spot obstacles in my path and coyotes, etc in my periphery.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was thinking about the EC60 for 40 x goody bags; but the heat issue is problematic for me.

I too like the Manker U21 XHP35 HI.

Impossible lumens

Enlightened

I was thinking about the EC60 for 40 x goody bags; but the heat issue is problematic for me.

I too like the Manker U21 XHP35 HI.
Honesty, I'm not sure I would classify the EC60 as having "heat issues". I can't seam to find anything in Acebeams literature that explicitly states the EC60 or EC50 v2 as having a thermal stepdown feature. It was my assumption that it did but actually, the only thing Acebeam states about thermal properties for EC60 EC50 v2 is this: 14:Over-heat protection to avoid high-temperature of the surface. It is a rather vague statement which I enterpreted to mean thermal stepdown. It could though be referring to the cut out fins around the head of the flashlight. My EC60 did fine at temperatures much higher than any I would allow it to reach if held in hand as I would click it to medium or high when beginning to feel that much heat. Additionally, an increase in the temperature of the body of the flashlight is a #1 indicator that heat is being pulled away from the LED and that the light has a good thermal path for cooling to take place. Flashlights that don't get hot on the surface can be more likely to overheat internally as there is no physical way for the user to determine just how hot the actual LED mounting area is getting without a clean thermal path to the body of the light. Although I like Manker lights very much, I do honestly trust Acebeams workmanship over that of Manker. My U21 actually has funny switch issues where it wouldn't change modes or turn on or off. It hasn't been doing it for a little while now but it was definitely a big concern for me about a month ago and I was looking at having to send it back. I would say to anyone getting an EC60 or EC50 to click it down when they feel it getting very hot. I would hope it would be intuitive but 100% worth the mention. If you strictly want a dedicated thrower I would say the U21 is a no-brainer. However if the light needs general purpose application with excellent throw to boot, then the EC60 is unrivaled. EC60 is excellent at lighting up dark corners at a distance in addition to lighting up general area round which said dark corner is located. It's just my 2cents. I don't mean to cast a negative view on the EC60 where one does not exist.

Lumenwolf

Enlightened

Need Vinh to look at the EC60 and EC50gen2 to see what he can do with them

Impossible lumens

Enlightened

I was thinking about the deal with the stepdown feature not seaming to be present on my EC60 and although it may not present any issues functionally, while using the light and having it in your hand, it does potentially present a safety hazard if the light comes one while it is being stowed in a duffel or sack. You can't expect everyone to always remember about locking out a flashlight and it is rather impractical to expect as much. If this light comes on in high mode while in somebody's bag then I see trouble. I emailed Acebeam asking them to clarify if EC60 is supposed to stepdown, or if you are expected to manually step the light down. I'll let you guys know if I hear back from them. So, yes Lumenwolf, Vinh is looking good.

Impossible lumens

Enlightened

lol. the wowlympics. That word cracks me up.

Thanks for this info. I suppose it is possible that the EC60 stepped down to 1500 from 2,000 (give or take) and I just either blinked in that moment or it did a gradually which I wouldn't have noticed.

Impossible lumens

Enlightened

So I was over at Skylumen.com and Vinh has this light already up for sale. In Neutral white XHP35 it is power boosted and listed at just over 100k lux. Cool white version too. Pricing is on par with Acebeam stock. Hats off to Vinh for the amazing service.

Last edited:

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast

So I was over at Skylumen.com and Vinh has this light already up for sale. In Neutral white XHP35 it is power boosted and listed at just over 100k lux. Cool white version too. Pricing is on par with Acebeam stock. Hats off to Vinh for the amazing service.

Yeah it's true that getting vn light usually cheaper than buying stock then sending vinh for mod

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast

Honesty, I'm not sure I would classify the EC60 as having "heat issues". I can't seam to find anything in Acebeams literature that explicitly states the EC60 or EC50 v2 as having a thermal stepdown feature. It was my assumption that it did but actually, the only thing Acebeam states about thermal properties for EC60 EC50 v2 is this: 14:Over-heat protection to avoid high-temperature of the surface. It is a rather vague statement which I enterpreted to mean thermal stepdown. It could though be referring to the cut out fins around the head of the flashlight. My EC60 did fine at temperatures much higher than any I would allow it to reach if held in hand as I would click it to medium or high when beginning to feel that much heat. Additionally, an increase in the temperature of the body of the flashlight is a #1 indicator that heat is being pulled away from the LED and that the light has a good thermal path for cooling to take place. Flashlights that don't get hot on the surface can be more likely to overheat internally as there is no physical way for the user to determine just how hot the actual LED mounting area is getting without a clean thermal path to the body of the light. Although I like Manker lights very much, I do honestly trust Acebeams workmanship over that of Manker. My U21 actually has funny switch issues where it wouldn't change modes or turn on or off. It hasn't been doing it for a little while now but it was definitely a big concern for me about a month ago and I was looking at having to send it back. I would say to anyone getting an EC60 or EC50 to click it down when they feel it getting very hot. I would hope it would be intuitive but 100% worth the mention. If you strictly want a dedicated thrower I would say the U21 is a no-brainer. However if the light needs general purpose application with excellent throw to boot, then the EC60 is unrivaled. EC60 is excellent at lighting up dark corners at a distance in addition to lighting up general area round which said dark corner is located. It's just my 2cents. I don't mean to cast a negative view on the EC60 where one does not exist.

I consider the EC60 to be driven too hard for non flashaholics. This is why i won't be buying 40 of these for goody bags.