Glove box light?

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
What do you like as a glove box flashlight? We purchased a "new" vehicle for my wife and I need to either pull a light from my collection (should...) or purchase a new one to stick in her glove box.

I've had a Surefire G2 (yup, incan!) in my truck and previous vehicles for about ten years. These don't get much use, which is why I favor the Cr123- though maybe a AA with L91's would work as well.

I also value small size (fits inside glovebox) with adequate light output and throw for address spotting or whatever.

It seems like with modern LED's that light output won't even be a factor, as even low cost AAA lights are putting out huge numbers even compared to some of my old Cree's. Mostly just curious about some discussion...

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Something as rock solid as your old G2, ... this is your favorite lady afterall. So you definitely do not want to skimp.

This is the part I disagree with a lot of folks on because all that glitters is not gold. All of those new fangled gizmos that promise to call 911 for ya, have unbelievable output numbers on a single double a, make the prettiest beam you ever saw and only cost $12... pfffft.

Never in my wifes car. No freakin' way.

Something basic and time tested like a mini mag (LED of course), a small Streamlight or perhaps SureFires low starting battery sipper the G2x Pro.... all are inexpensive and time proven to absolutely positively work in all kinds of conditions.

You may look into the weather proofing numbers and opt for one rated at least 7 for water proof... afterall the flat tire rarely happens in the driveway on a nice spring afternoon.

Let us know what you decide.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just have a Fenix E20 in each of our cars with two lithium primary AAs as well as two spare sets of batteries. It's plenty of light and likely pretty durable without being too crazy expensive. It's not the cheapest option though.

Each of us has a keychain light (Nitecore Tube and TIP CRI, respectively), and she carries an LD01 in her purse while I almost always have a single 18650 light with me in the dark. So it's unlikely that we'd be stuck needing the car light but it's still worth having them just in case.

Anyway, the E20s have been holding strong after going through all the seasons once or twice so far and I expect them and the batteries to last quite a long time even in extreme temperatures.

And yes, I'll be interested in hearing what you choose as well. Oh, another point is that a headlamp honestly might be the best car light to have since it's a lot easier to change a tire with both hands and light directed where you're looking. But I didn't take my own advice on that haha. It's still not that big of a deal to position a handheld light for the job anyway usually, especially if it only happens in rare circumstances.

phosphor

Enlightened
Any decent light with lithium primaries will work. Get some back-up batteries as well...I wouldn't spend a fortune on a light for the glove box. I use an older 2 x AA Fenix L2D premium with lithium primaries, and it's perfect for my needs.

To my thinking a light with a strobe/beacon function makes sense...realistically, the only scenario I ever see myself using those modes. As well, I would recommend you get some kind of headband so you can use the light "hands-free" in an emergency...makes changing a flat at night SO much more convenient. I use the Nitecore universal headband...less than 9 bucks shipped. Works great.

Last edited:

Repsol600rr

Enlightened
Nothing wrong with an Incan g2. I have a yellow g2 Incan in my truck along with a fenix e12. A yellow g2x pro isn't a bad option Imo. But there are literally hundreds of options here. Even though my car lights really never get use I keep a headlamp in there. Have had to change a tire at the side of the road before. Headlamp would have helped. As I know poppy would suggest it might be a good idea to try to find something you can get a traffic diffuser for. There's another thread about edc(everyday in your car) which has good suggestions of what people use.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Nothing wrong with an Incan g2. I have a yellow g2 Incan in my truck along with a fenix e12. A yellow g2x pro isn't a bad option Imo. But there are literally hundreds of options here. Even though my car lights really never get use I keep a headlamp in there. Have had to change a tire at the side of the road before. Headlamp would have helped. As I know poppy would suggest it might be a good idea to try to find something you can get a traffic diffuser for. There's another thread about edc(everyday in your car) which has good suggestions of what people use.
Our friend Repsol600rr is absolutely right!
Poppy would recommend that the light be outfitted with a Red Traffic Wand/Diffuser.
They cost less than two cups of Starbucks, and can save a life by making a traffic scene safer, for those involved, the paramedics who arrive, and those in the oncoming traffic. It seems that $h#t happens in the worst possible place. Just over the crest of a hill, or around a blind curve. Often if you run back 500 feet, you'll crest the hill to the ridge, or get around the blind curve, where you can direct traffic into the next lane so that they don't hit the vehicle blocking a lane of traffic.

Both Nitecore and Fenix make the diffusers.
I don't know who made the one pictured below, but the nitcore 34mm it fits the rayovac 2aa head perfectly. But the tail won't fit in it to use it as a holster, like this one.

Here is the thread that Repsol600rr spoke of regarding who carries what in their car.

In a vinyl bag attached to my ashtray, I keep a rayovac indestructible 2AA with a red traffic diffuser, immediately available. Also a couple cheap penlights. The 2AA is loaded with duracell NiMH (I have a 2 cell charger in the glove compartment) and a 4 pack of Lithium AAs for back-up.

4VKJIrHDP7lR1F0bjZhcBcPhLZbGpH2SycEyANmhu_kjCRbclouofHzhvM1C8uq9Oq8E8RGaEX3EnbFonlE-AXG1IrHf65SBMpNJ0L0dJ8Gx7lFoVhxijNGg-eCYFX5wdCyoF2OMdykl8sQUTSh2IFSxV6yceH2Ad7BubW3i7sqQvFhiXTFFh6Ec1PTauG95dkGRlX38gCdZi0zJX0TQDgaerkWwqcP3yMm2Sw2lUvZ2iOCw7odzkXcaXnFDcJU5T6_P8-OBzdl90h5ul0ilH9rVL62mtgZn47aJzgzmVEQwnx4DQQD9PKOxofr-U12pFMQcKXrPe3VQcelPHLEnY9crO1Vnt0U35rd8hObbnKkLgGnF1K2aE8rxMLqHP9CPYfQm51iKttAE6UMsPKWpCGmJEn8bqw6VaB8L9t3vRC3qNXqvQkjf3t3jG_9-xJWXsdgSKxZ9fKSGyNWD7nCS4S9NaJS8OGPUZ79a1tNkn9KLKwRhlXrUzlfIITDfWBtPrygT-rMwSdgEgBsrxaUDFnVBY82bPCGAhFI2DtMyZJBcgDcwHw4zJc5a1IfC-f5uY-tfn6jBSxmnf_Q3J6HAB-BI9mqcjX7V8StOrQVpngD8gK77=w436-h775-no

fRkL-Z9HQKswhiHsq0CSMCh9gS7_9GJ-IvgGt3bR7UV7Efqi5vY0XEe1RWfiuVLkMr1W-5y7LFptZoa73dUpaGnBsR9rfwd2q6ktONO-PP7crf3fjHOdduBSYF9NMsMNyKxiLwsEKMaeUTmFme0Q-NxMhRiX5GeqfL5IlB3fh2LFFqS_C49aqhod3hAaisTtLkZAsjq2toThKbjPTy8bFhxg0sqCnJcjPyRq2EoZLGs0zdlt-0KjxMVeyl5zsbfF7VlCpnUEnEDExaeHrGmYidf99Uwtvs3DtEIsPSkT4KFpzr0VV971quJPlf2Vmc2d4wR4rUoPcUNcK-PKtu3Dej_jyoU3DqpJqPiU0tl1U7-iOsXaTTkRkg09yUYMme3RNFw4fRWF21zchcm7tiBZLIx7FjW7Ge4q7e5TngsgPXY95Es1IG_EyGAqHO9ndPUCsetcT25I9RG3CSx5_1yYWaDWjxgCA95XnqOmlPLciXT6eWE0Cc2M9sskLOv97XkTy37g_NhRREBreO3g2fdYrx6G1U1WRbRskq9agJ0J9gDN0CvrSC26cMsrv3jIk_hsI9AQMmoZf1zdhHxnIqnyubwox1bJhRPi9O7ZeehfuCIyuKQn=w1378-h775-no

HRDfYAJzUw7Xqlf7APsSw0J_m0N_fWtn1Dy64z-BY2UGZy7RvCytJjDI0uZu8x1b__kBQka7mCuTxYJ6JZZoo6H__QgoWnPxM47PWvztueT_Ei5i308GIkqOSPD-LPwqVLgvD8fIm3214M6USehJk16sca8mZKZr3EHYJTtcCdLuhk5LvmH72hrj_lZxGOSZxAvIlBUxv6mHbaEyEA6SjG0mQDgxGv8Yb0wwjPviQCCxHdFrLTRu8mg03DhJlD0_E0EIcGV_J9PK9DJvNRIsSN_pje9Nq02UGTU1EeHp-qM7bIkUljpf2yfhZgBovRAQEPnb3Zu5XMWzKMS_mzGxs5EMwO87hcplwU2B7NOoAev15dao9AUz_0im4yqJ-hWFwkIYws71Tcz6BrfyF7Ndrlxib1GRPtA37DRvZgXRjPXGTR2vaWYsrjQwZDKMjAuWZwQVY1Qfn2-3az3XfdBlaevS_4Sgj8idXPHxUk6zeccr6Ke2qgecpTyMVo5MtHN5OG9zkep61Dsazv20uoPFkJWqdu_TJnGakzDsNvZ-yaqdCfVZi5dyY3YjncWb7x3uLMoCGK8l2xJ_3TkxeNfM8TNCvuMNcNzVeVmBZeDb3kzaqde_=w436-h775-no

Last edited:

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had a G2 in my wife's car and mine for the past 5 years or so with simple LED drop-ins. CR123s for longevity and heat. If you can find a second one I would definitely recommend you go the same route again. Get a simple one-level drop-in and you're set to go.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I have a couple L2T/L1T (depending on which body is screwed on) lights floating around that I upgraded to various Cree XRE and XPG emitters a couple years ago. Even the L1T's put out good light. Pretty simple UI but honestly I prefer no UI for the wife. Might swap the SF G2 with the spares carrier into her truck and either run an extra SF G2LF-FYL in the truck or just move one of the L1T's (as I've heard they don't play well with L91s in 2xAA setup due to vf).

The G2LF-FYL is an older SF designed for fire helmet use- I replaced mine with a G2X as it was SIGNIFICANTLY brighter and seems to get slightly better battery life :)

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
The G2 or 6P is definitely a good option. One could stay with the incan bulb, or drop in a simple D26(P60) LED module like Lumens Factory makes. [They also make some very nice incan modules in different strengths as well]. The one I like the best is the Seraph 6 from Lumens Factory. Roughly the same size as the G2/6P, uses to CR123 or an 18650 cell (for the car I would use the CR123s), and comes in either incan or XM-L LED with a choice of Neutral White or High CRI emitter. I have owned one for years and really like it. Best of all, it is only $35 USD plus a couple bucks for shipping. IIRC shipping time was like a week or 10 days.

Another option would be the new Nitecore LA10 pocket lantern just introduced. Not a flashlight, but an omni-directional lantern about the size of a lipstick. Uses a single AA, and has a couple of different modes, including beacon for attention getting. Has a magnet built in to the base so would work well for changing a tire or placing on the roof to draw attention.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of the main reasons I went for the G2 over a 6P is that it's made of plastic. The was a thread years back about good car lights and the G2 was recommended, being plastic, because it would not get super cold like a metal light if you had to hold it in freezings temps outside to change a tire or look under the hood (assuming no gloves).

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a good point. Maybe I should put some gloves in the car to counteract the fact that I have metal lights in our cars.

Poppy

Flashaholic
That's a good point. Maybe I should put some gloves in the car to counteract the fact that I have metal lights in our cars.
LOL... my first thought, was... What? You don't have a pair of work gloves in your trunk?
I actually have a few pair of leather work gloves in my trunk with at least one pair being thinsulate insulated. And a couple cotton ones with rubber palms and fingers.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Usually during winter months I keep gloves, a hat, and some blankets in my trunk just in case.

But for the wifey - who knows what she travels with on a day to day. She wouldn't listen to my suggestions anyway......:shrug:

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL... my first thought, was... What? You don't have a pair of work gloves in your trunk?
I actually have a few pair of leather work gloves in my trunk with at least one pair being thinsulate insulated. And a couple cotton ones with rubber palms and fingers.
Lol. Well I used to have a couple pairs in my Jeep but we just bought a new car and it's not outfitted very well yet. That will be definitely added! I still need to transfer items to the new car. :)

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
And yes, I always have some warm clothes and a couple blankets in the car as well.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Usually during winter months I keep gloves, a hat, and some blankets in my trunk just in case.

But for the wifey - who knows what she travels with on a day to day. She wouldn't listen to my suggestions anyway......:shrug:
I always have a few of those chemical hand warmers in there, as well as one of those emergency aluminumized blankets. Wrap yourself in one of those, and add a warmer or two, and you can be quite toasty. I usually also keep a couple of granola bars in the between seat console - the glove box gets too warm for those.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
So This is what I decided on.

My truck: Fenix L2Tv2.0 upgraded to Cree XPG R-something a while back. It has LSD NiMH cells right now with 4xL91 in a spares carrier.
Wifes: SF G2 with 6xcr123 spares + 1xP60 in a SF spares carrier. Went this route for the lack of UI- Twist on, twist off until tailcap won't turn it on when pressed. As an aside, I REALLY like this as a glovebox light. Huge output for a supposed 60 lumens and the incan color temp and CRI just seem to work better especially in foul weather. Only real drawback is runtime.
My "fun" car: Since this one, while used the least has the highest chance of unreliability it gets the led SF- a G2L-FYL. It is an older light with some type of lux or SSC but is relatively battery friendly and utterly reliable. Ought to stick a headlamp in also but *meh*