LED

aL01

Newly Enlightened
I'm thinking about getting a UV LED Flashlight, but before I get it I need to know if it:
1) Is necessary to have it in a substrate package
2) Must it be compatible with SMT
3) Does it need ESD protection
4) Is a 'vertical chip' necessary or is it just an option
5) What wavelength range in nm is shorter than that of visible light but longer than X-rays
6) Does any of the UV interact with organic molecules
7) Lastly and the 'most' important, would I suntan, freckle, or sunburn from using a UV Flashlight? :devil:

Any UV Flashlight recommendations?
Thanks!

Last edited:

aL01

Newly Enlightened
I almost forgot:
Do shorter-wavelength "extreme" UV below 121 nm ionize air so strongly that it is absorbed before it reaches the ground? My child has Asthma...

Thanks!! :ohgeez:

Last edited:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
The following was stolen from our friend Wikipedia:

Suntan, freckling and sunburn are familiar effects of over-exposure, along with higher risk of skin cancer. Living things on dry land would be severely damaged by ultraviolet radiation from the Sun if most of it were not filtered out by the Earth's atmosphere.[1] More-energetic, shorter-wavelength "extreme" UV below 121 nm ionizes air so strongly that it is absorbed before it reaches the ground.[2] Ultraviolet is also responsible for the formation of bone-strengthening vitamin D in most land vertebrates, including humans. The UV spectrum thus has effects both beneficial and harmful to human health.

You didn't say what you needed a UV light for. The wavelength required will depend very greatly on the intended use. Also, my understanding is that a UV light source below 300nm or so are specialized and as such are hard to come by and rather expensive, as well as requiring more careful handling to use safely.

If your intended use is related to your child's asthma, may I recommend the use of one or more of the medical 'sterilization' lights like one sees in doctor's offices and suck. As a fixed fixture with the light itself not visible, many of the safety considerations are not a concern like they would be in a more normal fixture or flashlight.

aL01

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for a load of great information...not for use with asthmatic child, but I did settle on a 365nm UV Flashlight with required eye protection.Thanks a lot!