blasting beads - where to find?

Darell

Flashaholic
OK, since we still don't have an MMM forum, I'll ask here:

Where the heck can I find quality bead blasting beads? I have a gun, but I'm shooting blanks! I found #20 sand from OSH, and it works for various things, but I sure would like something finer, and with tighter tolerances! #40 (I now understand) would be ideal. I found exactly one sand-blasting business in my yellow pages. Called them three times last week, and have heard nothing back on the messages I left. Where else?

I'm sure I could find some place to mail-order it, but I'm guessing the shipping might just kill me!

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can likely get it from industrial supply like Grainger, MSC, Mcmaster Carr etc. they have locations across the country. Another thing to possibly check is the Thomas Register online for "blasting media" or "bead blasting media" in your region. Aluminum oxide is usually good stuff for general purpose.

TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
Thanks for the tips guys. And now I've just discovered that I have my mesh sizes back-asswards. A friend (well, a "mate" actually) just whispered in my ear that the larger the mesh, the smaller the particles. So if I have 20 mesh here, I guess I need 40 instead.

The quest continues.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Darell,

tsg68 is right on. I just bought a "gun" and some abrasive media from McMaster. 10# in 5 mesh sizes from 40-375 will run you ~$22. Search cat#3398k13 and go to the catalog page.

Larry

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh one more thing, locally you would have more luck finding a dealer listed under "Abrasives" in a BtoB directory and then call and ask if they sell blast media. But like larry said McMaster is relatively inexpensive and delivers to your door! Glad I could help.

TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I was using that stuff, I didn't need a lot since I was only doing knife blades and jewelery sized stuff, and couldn't find it from dealers in quantities less than fifty pounds at moderate cost, and reasonable cost in drums.

I don't know if the guy is still doing it, but I ended up buying mine from a guy on eBay in five pound lots at a fair price and he didn't rip you off on postage either.

Might be worth a quick search if you only need a little. Sorry, but I don't have a record of who it was I was buying from and it has been a few years.