Surefire 9P help

drew332

Newly Enlightened
I have an older 9P marked laser division on the tail cap and had a larger boot than the newer lights. It is either natural our had been blasted but, the writing on the tail cap is still visible.

Question is, how hard would it be to find a head that matches?

d465ae6cd090d8a2fdf291eac408a2bc.jpg

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Matching natural finish is always a chancy proposition. That said, check out some of Lumens Factory's offerings. They offer several heads that would fit a 9P, as well as the drop ins to go with them. And since yours is a 9P and not a 6P, I would recommend the D36 mini turbo head. The larger size will give more throw, and the extra cell capacity the 9P has will easily power the associated drop ins. Or you could use the M series turbo head along with the C to M adapter, for even more throw, but with a reduced run time. Either way, it should allow you to make a very good light.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
If that it an original-finish SF 9P it is an exceedingly rare finish from Surefire.
Which is awesome - except for trying to find an exceedingly rare SF Z44 in that finish, lol. :)

The 6P's were more common in the custom-production finishes - 9P's etc certainly less so.
Thanks for the pic - looks to be in mint condition. :huh:

Did Leef ever make Z44-compatible heads? That reminds me of the Leef HA.

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast
It definitely looks like a light natural HA, and likely the original finish.

If it were a "regular" 9P that was stripped and hardcoated, it wouldn't have the crisp looking knurling and sharp edges. The stripping process usually eats away edges and "softens" them quite a bit.

I think you've got something pretty rare in your hands there.

autogiro

Enlightened
Good luck finding anything to match. I picked this one up a few years ago and not a lot of options.
This one has the standard white etching but it is pretty light.
Auto

29609597166_2fd2fd6554_c.jpg

archimedes

Flashaholic
Tough to tell from the photo, but are the tail threads anodized ? I thought they were usually raw Al in that era ?

Could certainly have been refinished (although I agree that the knurling does still look crisp) , or perhaps a prototype.

Some of the HA-Natural Cryos bezels are medium toned, if not truly light ...

http://i.imgur.com/UdqCn7G.jpg

autogiro

Enlightened
The threads on mine are anodized the same color. I think the color of most HA Leef bodies is the closest match to what I have. Also, the older Moddoo Triad HA tail caps are pretty close too.
Auto

FPSRelic

Enlightened
I would suggest checking out oveready. They sell both a custom finished HA natural z44 bezel and a custom built smoothie version (without the anti roll feature). Not sure how well the colour would match.